Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: How heavy should a hunting rifle be?

Quote Originally Posted by Jt89 View Post
    I weigh 60KG in wet boots... Pack and rifle weight is everything to me when balance and exertion come into it, especially with potentially more than half my bodyweight in meat added into it if successful. I hand carry the rifle all day because my shoulders aren't wide enough to comfortably accommodate a rifle sling as well as a pack strap At the moment it's a tad over 4k with a few in the mag but I reckon a bit of fiddling will get that down to 3.7kg, nice sweet spot for a .308 I think. Wouldn't dream of trying a whole animal carry out unless it was a pig small enough to roast whole haha. My heaviest walk out so far has been 45kg for about 4 hours and it was all aboard the pain train from the first step to the last.
    try slinging rifle diagonally across your front....left hand will sit on pistolgrip naturally and suppressor will be up out past right shoulder... if you can make sure strap is flat across back of neck it will help......I dont have this issue as have old school frame pack and easy to hook sling over top of frame on right side and carry as normal,or sling as discribed.
    veryfuturistic likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    try slinging rifle diagonally across your front....left hand will sit on pistolgrip naturally and suppressor will be up out past right shoulder... if you can make sure strap is flat across back of neck it will help......I dont have this issue as have old school frame pack and easy to hook sling over top of frame on right side and carry as normal,or sling as discribed.
    Yep that's pretty much the only way for me if I'm walking a long way in easy country, going to be plugging some QD cups into the sided of the plastic fantastic tikka stock to help it ride a little better this way.
    "O Great Guru what projectile should I use in my .308?" To which the guru replied, "It doesn't matter."
    -Grandpamac

Kimber heavy.... Light .
    -3kg .... Likely 2.5ish 😆😋☺️