Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Hunters Element Halo Jacket quick review

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Their stuff used to be rubbishy from my experience but creds to them they seem to have vastly improved (hearsay). Is that correct?
    I brought some tops, a warm hoodie type thing, and warm pants last year.
    It's ok but the QC needs a lot of work. Had to repair a couple of areas of missing stitching, a couple of zips weren't stitched close at the end of the travel so could pop off so had to stitch the end closed that sort of thing.

The pants now have one jammed zip which I'm in contact with them on warranty (vise grips won't even move the bloody thing). I don't expect any of their gear to last long, I also wouldn't pay retail price for the stuff I brought as it's not up to the quality of the price point. They have 40-50% off type sales though.

I probably won't buy a lot more of their stuff. As a pale white guy I do really like their "Vantage hoodie" which is a summer top with long tail, inbuilt hood and snood as it keeps the sun off pretty much everywhere. I do look like a camo clad weirdo ninja wearing it but otherwise the sun and I don't get along...

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    I brought some tops, a warm hoodie type thing, and warm pants last year.
    It's ok but the QC needs a lot of work. Had to repair a couple of areas of missing stitching, a couple of zips weren't stitched close at the end of the travel so could pop off so had to stitch the end closed that sort of thing.

The pants now have one jammed zip which I'm in contact with them on warranty (vise grips won't even move the bloody thing). I don't expect any of their gear to last long, I also wouldn't pay retail price for the stuff I brought as it's not up to the quality of the price point. They have 40-50% off type sales though.

I probably won't buy a lot more of their stuff. As a pale white guy I do really like their "Vantage hoodie" which is a summer top with long tail, inbuilt hood and snood as it keeps the sun off pretty much everywhere. I do look like a camo clad weirdo ninja wearing it but otherwise the sun and I don't get along...
    Shame, this has always been the issue, decently design gear poorly. Constructed. I though they had been getting on top of it but clearly still an issue

I bought a Halo a month or so ago (I bought my wife one first half price and then got jacket envy) and it has had 3 days in pretty consistent rain. All good so far. It replaces a Stowit which is at least 5 years old and beginning to show its age.
    When I got it home the zip was a bit sticky half way down and I had to trim off some excess seam sealing tape to get it to work properly. So yes, quality control could be better.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Trout likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

They look like good value but I don't think I could do the 1/2 length sleeve.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    They look like good value but I don't think I could do the 1/2 length sleeve.
    I like the freedom of my arms when gutting and handling deer.
    Shearer likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Did look at something like that but its cold when it rains down here

This seemed to be the best place to put this. I've been corresponding with Hunters Element about the Halo, because the stats on the HE website were different from other websites. Other websites were saying the Halo had Waterproof Rating - 10,000mm, breathability Rating - 6,000gm/m2/24hr breathability.
    However, the HE website said the numbers were Waterproof Rating - 25,000mm
    Breathability Rating - 10,000gm/m2/24hr breathability.
    I queried this, as the webpage contradicted itself and the promotional video uses the 10,000/6000 numbers.

I had an answer from Hunters Element today which said:

"I'm sorry for the confusion, this jacket has been retested and the new numbers I gave you are correct. The video hasn't been updated yet but we are in the process of doing this. Also, the stores haven't got round to updating their point of sale but I can confirm that the correct details for this jacket are what is on the website and the one I sent through in the previous message."

I got this after I'd already bought one, so that was nice. I'm still going to get me a Warfighter Conquerer for heavy use, but i reckon this will be my go to for a while.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.
    Forestry likes this.

My wife took the Halo out on a wet horse ride over the weekend and was so happy compared to her Macpac that I may need a replacement. The next one might be camo as that will stop her using it.
    Shearer, RV1 and Eat Meater like this.

The halo is probably HE best piece of gear.
    Eat Meater likes this.

Did another decent mission on the weekend into Molesworth country and it snowed hard and was freezing cold but Halo Jacket kept me dry………..now I need to sort my boots as feet were wet and cold…….

Name:  IMG_2323.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  728.7 KB
    Shearer, MB, RV1 and 1 others like this.

MB
    Just for fun, wore mine on the morning exercise routine in the pissing rain. Sweaty! No surprises and not complaining.
    RV1 likes this.

My last test for the halo was 3 days jet boating haast in rain that stung my eye balls. The way I was sitting in the boat created a half bucket sized pool on my front under life jacket and a small amount seeped through the zip just enough to notice. Every time we stopped i stood up to tip it off me. Other than that I was super impressed especially for the price.