Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Hunting pants

For bush stalking i grabbed a pair of huntec pants and found them pretty good. like them alot, no issues

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Same 4-way fabric - but not Korean grade by the looks
    Lets not even compare the design/cut
    Or the price

Sorry - don't like slagging other brands - but when they ask that coinage for that quality - cant stop myself :-(

Each to their own
    @Sarvo - If you don't like slagging other brands, there's a simple solution DON'T
    You may also want to brush up on your understanding of fabrics and manufacturing, as your far from comparing apples with apples. The First Lite pants that are linked actually have a substantial amount of New Zealand merino in them, and how you can asses the "grade & design/cut" from a few images is beyond me and quite frankly laughable.
    As we all know there's a few Asian country's that have been heavily investing in manufacturing facilities for a very long time, and now the best of those factories are by a mile the most sophisticated in the world, meaning much tighter quality control etc. This is why the big 3 high end brands (Kuiu, Sitka & First Lite) use their services, and have the economy of scale to choose the best factories to work with. Same can be said for where they purchase their fabrics... One thing is for sure... None of this involves the Ukraine.

I'm not even going to start picking holes in your product. Because that would be rude, and quite simply I don't have to as it's all fairly obvious.

So politely, pull your head in!
    hotsoup likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PointsSouth View Post
    @Sarvo - If you don't like slagging other brands, there's a simple solution DON'T
    You may also want to brush up on your understanding of fabrics and manufacturing, as your far from comparing apples with apples. The First Lite pants that are linked actually have a substantial amount of New Zealand merino in them, and how you can asses the "grade & design/cut" from a few images is beyond me and quite frankly laughable.
    As we all know there's a few Asian country's that have been heavily investing in manufacturing facilities for a very long time, and now the best of those factories are by a mile the most sophisticated in the world, meaning much tighter quality control etc. This is why the big 3 high end brands (Kuiu, Sitka & First Lite) use their services, and have the economy of scale to choose the best factories to work with. Same can be said for where they purchase their fabrics... One thing is for sure... None of this involves the Ukraine.

I'm not even going to start picking holes in your product. Because that would be rude, and quite simply I don't have to as it's all fairly obvious.

Stood on some toes ah :-)
    Well for starters I did not "slag" you product
    I just said I had to "make comment" over the price for what "my eyes" saw
    Yes I know all about the Merino input :-)
    But again "eyes" (well those of us that have them open) mine at least do not deceive !!

I have imported Tons of clothing out of Europe back 2008 - 2013
    Got to hear all the juicy stories from the Customs and Brokers about what was coming in from "that other place"

What is printed on Labels never tell the %

But again
    Picture tell a 1000 words
    So - I will stick with Pictures - you can go with words

I hope I might get some back up here ??
    But I make no profit
    If you or anyone else wants proof
    I will give you my accountants contact
    He thinks I am nuts
    But I got started all over Greed !!
    Greed from greedy NZ importers to be frank !!!!!

PS
    Do not tell me to "pull my head in" especially - from a he/she who has 1 Post on here
    Its the likes of you that got me doing exactly what I am doing
    veitnamcam, Carbine and mikee like this.

Why don't you pull your head in?

You think one watered down criticism on an online forum is going to ruin your sales? You've got the market share, and you've got plenty of satisfied customers (and there will be plenty more, I'm sure). Don't be so greedy.

Sarvo pay's forum fees (as an advertiser) and he's got a product that he believes will offer forum members a similar level of quality for much less. He's doing people a favor.

Furthermore, he's got plenty of experience in the clothing business. I'm sure he's had a fair whiff of the brand snobbery/loyalty and all the fairy dust that keeps this industry ticking along.

As for your magical clothing/fabrics - plenty of holes can be picked in them as well. Both figuratively and literally...
    veitnamcam and Shearer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Why don't you pull your head in?

You think one watered down criticism on an online forum is going to ruin your sales? You've got the market share, and you've got plenty of satisfied customers (and there will be plenty more, I'm sure). Don't be so greedy.

Sarvo pay's forum fees (as an advertiser) and he's got a product that he believes will offer forum members a similar level of quality for much less. He's doing people a favor.

Furthermore, he's got plenty of experience in the clothing business. I'm sure he's had a fair whiff of the brand snobbery/loyalty and all the fairy dust that keeps this industry ticking along.

As for your magical clothing/fabrics - plenty of holes can be picked in them as well. Both figuratively and literally...
    Got to disagree a bit here. Let me preface this with I like Sarvo and he does some good gear by all accounts of members of this forum and he got me a pretty sharp price on some euro optics.

I did feel it was a bit slaggy especially because it's coming from the position of opposition vs a customer. Paying advertising is so he can advertise not so he has express rights to slag off anyone that doesn't. Its doesn't equate to being able to just bash other products businesses it's just a bit petty and classic tall poppy. Same as any advertising better to explain how yours is good than to start making claims someone else's is shit/a rip off etc.

In fairness your right one criticism online is not going to make a massive difference but it's the principle of not being rude as much as Sarvo believes those points he's an extremely biased source of information and negative information is something like 10-20 times more likely to have an effect of product opinion than good.

I think this has probably gone far enough as while Sarvo doing us all a favour getting sharp pricing on good gear I doubt Cam at Pointsouth is making that much considering the niche of his market and that he's just an importer most of the money is made well before it lands in our country. I've worked it out as depending on the dollar at the time (which he doesn't control) hes about between 15-30% more expensive than the US website but that's not allowing for any shipping, taxes, business overhead, having to have the capital upfront to buy stock. The prices aren't for everyone but pretty much everything has demonising returns at some stage. @Frodo you should know this you've had plenty of it such as Arcteryx stuff that's better but is it a 1500 jacket better?

So before this continues to pointless personal attacks that help absolutely nothing. Sarvo it's just choice not to make a profit doing this you can't expect everyone to do the same and if your truly making nothing then you realistically would have to add 30% to your margins to make a decent living. It's a valient move to do it for the sake of benefiting others but people have got to make a living.
    Dreamer, hotsoup and ZQLewis like this.

You sound a lot like you have been wounded, maybe if you included a breakdown of your cost structure alongside the rest of your commentary there may/or may not be some sympathy forthcoming from the hunting community. The biggest problem with hunting gear down here is that we get shafted, I'm not really interested in an array of wholesaler/retailer's reasons why but when in a wide variety of cases an individual can purchase ex the US at retail and pay shipping to NZ and receive the product at cheaper than NZ retail there really is something wrong with the business model, to have what you consider to be superior product and yet squeal like this is not really a good marketing ploy, it doesn't inspire a lot of consumer confidence.
    veitnamcam and Dreamer like this.
    Just going to take a look around the next bend...

Some extremely disappointing posts coming from a few that I expected more from

I reckon do some actual research before you post with inaccurate assumptions
    Last edited by hotsoup; 08-09-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Stood on some toes ah :-)
    Well for starters I did not "slag" you product
    I just said I had to "make comment" over the price for what "my eyes" saw
    Yes I know all about the Merino input :-)
    But again "eyes" (well those of us that have them open) mine at least do not deceive !!

I have imported Tons of clothing out of Europe back 2008 - 2013
    Got to hear all the juicy stories from the Customs and Brokers about what was coming in from "that other place"

What is printed on Labels never tell the %

But again
    Picture tell a 1000 words
    So - I will stick with Pictures - you can go with words

I hope I might get some back up here ??
    But I make no profit
    If you or anyone else wants proof
    I will give you my accountants contact
    He thinks I am nuts
    But I got started all over Greed !!
    Greed from greedy NZ importers to be frank !!!!!

PS
    Do not tell me to "pull my head in" especially - from a he/she who has 1 Post on here
    Its the likes of you that got me doing exactly what I am doing
    Not too mention Sarvo also backs his product up better than most "proper" retailers. he doesn't just take the cash and run away from any issues
    Carbine and Moa Hunter like this.

I took a punt and bought a pair of long shorts from Micklagaard when they were having a discounted offer. Even then they were expensive, but just awesome. Loden is hardly the bleeding edge of technical fabrics, but after an unplanned swim in the Waihaha on the weekend I rate them. Doubt I'll need to buy another pair for the next decade or so.

P.S. I know the OP doesn't want shorts and long johns, but good gear deserves a mention.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    I took a punt and bought a pair of long shorts from Micklagaard when they were having a discounted offer. Even then they were expensive, but just awesome. Loden is hardly the bleeding edge of technical fabrics, but after an unplanned swim in the Waihaha on the weekend I rate them. Doubt I'll need to buy another pair for the next decade or so.

P.S. I know the OP doesn't want shorts and long johns, but good gear deserves a mention.
    I bought the anorak, then the basic trousers. I’ll be buying the shorts next. It’s a great fabric, you wouldn’t expect it to be waterproof looking at it, but it certainly is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I bought the anorak, then the basic trousers. I’ll be buying the shorts next. It’s a great fabric, you wouldn’t expect it to be waterproof looking at it, but it certainly is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With this gear its big $$ - but - will last - that is without any doubt - so bang for buck is I imagine 2nd to none !!
    I keep thinking how amazing this gear would have been back in my Possuming days camped @ 2400' in Pureora etc

https://www.facebook.com/micklagaardnz

Might be waterproof in the wet bush, might be waterproof in the rain even.
    Not quite waterproof when swimming.

On the other hand, if I'd planned to go into the river I'd have brought togs with me. Still a bit early in the season for that yet.

+1 For Miklagaard, I’ve got the anorak and a pair of stubbies, 1st outing in the Ruahines, I had a small tumble in a river, I thought I would be wet and cold for the rest of the day, they didn’t soak any water up and dried quicker than the merino longjohns I was wearing underneath them and also no wet arse when sitting in the damp bush. I will also be getting a pair of their pants.

There's only one way to south this out and I'm prepared to take one for the team , @Sarvo and @PointsSouth you send me several pairs of pants and give me a minimum of 2 years to try them out and I'll give a fair an honest review and comparison of both.
    I can't be fairer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by paremata View Post
    There's only one way to south this out and I'm prepared to take one for the team , @Sarvo and @PointsSouth you send me several pairs of pants and give me a minimum of 2 years to try them out and I'll give a fair an honest review and comparison of both.
    I can't be fairer than that.
    Pick a Pair of Trousers of your choice (you only need one not several :-(

https://www.nzgrhunts.com/clothing
    paremata likes this.