Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By Ned
  • 4 Post By Happy Jack
  • 3 Post By Moutere
  • 2 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By MarkN
  • 1 Post By MB

Thread: i Phone rescue in NZ

Ned

i Phone rescue in NZ

I don't have one. And unlikely to get one. But this is an interesting article on it actually being used here.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300...-in-canterbury
    MB likes this.

Yes good story on it, I have the same phone and when I have been out of reception a few times now a little satellite icon appears where the reception bars show. There is also a screen displaying emergency calls available. It will be interesting to see where the tech takes us this time next year

Interesting that Apple chose Globalstar but I presume they picked up the contract for a song as they are paying for a whole bunch of new satellite launches.
    The issue with GS is that NZ is right at the edge of current coverage so it won't be unusual to have no connection in the bottom of valleys This is less of an issue with Iridium. However the satellites are moving and another one will come into view. Hopefully doubling the number of satellites will alleviate this somewhat.
    Good progress one way or another.

Now every wannabe in NZ is going to go out and get into trouble and expect to be rescued, and all because of the I have an iPhone so I will be safe mentality.
    Shearer, Micky Duck, Ned and 1 others like this.
    Happy Jack.

inReach Death knell right there.
    Shearer, Monk and Ned like this.

If they had watched the weather forecast for the next few days.They shouldv been there when river flooded.Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    inReach Death knell right there.
    Not really, you can't just text ya mates or the Mrs etc with the iPhone it's only for emergency services. Will.be interesting g though once Vodafone rolls out its "coverage for all of.NZ" though although I'm not holding my.breath I live 5 minutes from town on a completely flat landscape and have to hold my tongue just right to get any service
    Micky Duck and RV1 like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Not really, you can't just text ya mates or the Mrs etc with the iPhone it's only for emergency services. Will.be interesting g though once Vodafone rolls out its "coverage for all of.NZ" though although I'm not holding my.breath I live 5 minutes from town on a completely flat landscape and have to hold my tongue just right to get any service
    Yes it is, the beginning of the end.
    It will soon function exactly the same as an inReach.
    And it won’t be long before other carriers offer similar functionality.
    inReach is the Kodak of communicators.
    Last edited by Moutere; 08-09-2023 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Now every wannabe in NZ is going to go out and get into trouble and expect to be rescued, and all because of the I have an iPhone so I will be safe mentality.
    the same idiots who already now expect to be rescued because they can get on phone and ring up because they are tired and didnt wear right gear ....... dont get me started.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Those two tourists that were just helicoptered off Mt Ngauruhoe should a been put in stocks IMHO

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/mt-nga...JGTJ64JG6AYOM/

Name:  a-man-and-woman-held-in-medieval-stocks-restraining-devices-that-were-used-as-a-form-of-corporal.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  198.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the same idiots who already now expect to be rescued because they can get on phone and ring up because they are tired and didnt wear right gear ....... dont get me started.
    Yep them ones, the entitled bunch.
    Happy Jack.

MB
    It's a positive for us hunters.

I was thinking, would this technology lead me to put myself in riskier situations than otherwise would have been the case? No, I carry a PLB and that hasn't changed my behaviour. Rescue may still be many hours away and the thought of a cold, wet night in the bush, plus the shame of pressing the button keeps me sensible. That said, muppets will be muppets, so yes, this could lead to more people getting in to trouble and expecting a helicopter ride home. For this reason, I think it quite reasonable that the rescued are asked to cover costs. It might focus some minds a little bit.
    Happy Jack likes this.