Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By stagstalker

Thread: Video equipment, filming and editing

Video equipment, filming and editing

The last time I made any videos was during deployments with a fuji finepix camera (expensive $1000 bit of gear at the time) and microsoft movie maker software, but that was 15 years ago and things have changed since then.
    I know some of you chaps around here make hunting videos for youtube and I'm seeing some decent ones around, not just the single take filmed on an iphone clips but the television quality stuff.
    Can someone give me their list of preferred items for movie making nowadays? I'm thinking in terms of a Go-Pro and its various accessories, and what editing software is accessible without expensive licenses. I will scour the youtube for some reviews on gear as I go, but I'd like to see what you chaps are carrying around the hills.. what is useful and what is not for outdoor filming.

MB
    I mess around making videos, but not hunting videos. I find the hunting part difficult enough! A thought of GoPro cameras though. As good as they are, the lack of optical zoom (and wide angle lens) is going to be limiting for hunting since you won't be able to take any decent footage of live animals. Also, since you mention it, video quality may actually be better on a recent model iPhone. The Big Angry Fish guys now have a fishing channel on YouTube called the Lateral Line. The videos are entirely filmed on an iPhone and would be good enough for TV. If you're set on a GoPro, new model comes out in September, probably worth the wait.

You're right, zoom would be limiting factor with a go pro. I suppose in various situations I would look at using go-pro as the easy, lightweight carry for filming the bits and pieces, and then perhaps setup a more substantial camera with a good long lens for deliberate long range shots. Just a thought. Maybe I need a good SLR camera and lens too... hmmm
    In terms of 'latest gear' I prefer to not buy the newest thing at new prices, I always prefer last years model or second hand items for better value. The fuji camera I bought in 2004 before I went to Afghan was an expensive luxury I wanted at the time, but I rarely do that with electronics anymore.

What a doofus I just realised there is an entire sub forum on camera equipment.

Wife is pretty good at doing the movie thing, she used to do it for a while. These days as far as simplicity and price goes she just does it all off her phone. The app she mainly uses is in shot I think. She will sit there for hours editing etc but they turn out pretty good. Got a few on you tube, nothing hard core but at least we out there...

MB
    I've just done a 2 month vlog (god, I hate that word!) of our trip to Europe. Final video is 9 minutes long with most clips being 1-3 seconds in length. All video recorded on iPhone and GoPro. It was bloody hard work, but fun. I think my boy will appreciate it as he gets older and the memories fade.
    Ned and blip like this.

Between gopros for stabilized and waterproof imagery, and phones for the rest, that can get you a long way in terms of acquiring the footage. Plus they aren't bulky and don't need a lot of supporting equipment. Honestly a phone in a water resistant case will get you a long way there, people just tend to not risk their phones on some shots that they might try with a gopro. Generally a newer higher spec phone is going to be better though - an older phone won't keep up.

You can bodge a fit between a gopro or camera to a set of binos using a holder for long distance shots that you can take time to set up.

For video editing, there are a lot of good basic softwares out there for free. Try a bunch because some are better than others for specific things.
    Here's a list of some to try:
    https://www.videoproc.com/video-edit...are-review.htm

JMHO

A good digital SLR or (expensive) 4K camera is the way to go.

I'm currently firing up a Nikon D5600 and associated kit to do service. I have two GoPro knock offs and an iPhone so I should be well covered. Go Pros by their very size, are one size fits all, in terms of shots. You really need lens variation, to get good framed vision.

That Clark Gaylord fishing show, is a good example, not of a fishing show, but of the skill of the Director/Camera Guy, 40 years ago we drank bottles of tequila to wash down the crayfish.

Think less of putting video on the web, and more of framing the shot, so it would make a good still.

Mind you, difficult to plan, a Great White harassing a Seal.

If you have a Microsoft laptop/computer you have their Clipchamp to use for free. It has some royalty free music and a good basic set of editing tools. The only drawback is that it is internet based; so you'll need a connection for editing. You do have to pay a fee for 4k processing if I remember right. But if you're happy with 1080, it's free. It has everything I need at the moment. It's miles ahead of their old Video Editor

I do it simplistic. Go-Pro and a Cannon SX60. I edit using Imovie on our mac and that’s about it. It’s a rabbit hole if you get real keen on it like most things.
    Tahr likes this.