Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Impact Protection for Scope

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @Moa Hunter well if you are giving those gosh darn awful controls away, I'll have them.
    what are they on?
    If you are in any way suicidal, fitting Conetrols will tip you over the edge
    Bill999 and Micky Duck like this.

Nope I'm good in that regard. That sort of thing wouldn't faze me in the slightest

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Nope I'm good in that regard. That sort of thing wouldn't faze me in the slightest
    That's what you write now, but you'll be reaching for the Prozac too if you get Conetrols

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Conetrol mounts are bastards of the highest order bar none !! That is what I have got and being a tight arse and because they are the right height I used them again instead of taking them off and throwing them into the trees when I swapped scopes like I should of and buying Leupold mounts like a sensible person.
    I hang my head in shame at the hours I put into getting the scope straight in those bastards - ended up with the stock sitting on a spirit level in the gun vise and a coloured Plumb line hanging down a deer post that I could get the vertical line of the reticle parallel with.
    if you want to get your scope verticle put it on the lowest mag setting and look through it at a mirror then just get the verticle post to run through the center of the barrel
    Bill999, Got-ya and Phil_H like this.

Banned
    That's a clever idea northdude, normally I can get back a bit from the scope and get the vertical line running down through the centre of the barrel but with the higher comb and particular scope I couldn't do it that way. Conetrols are bastards because you cant rotate the scope in them to straighten it up. They have to be loosened / unclipped from the scope with a tap from a screw driver handle moved a little towards the pencil mark you made earlier clip them and try in the bases again.
    northdude likes this.

Gkp
    Buy it, thrash it, don't touch the lenses out in the field.
    If you are worried about it you are either not using it enough or you have spent too much on it.
    Just my take on gear
    Dama dama, BRADS and Steve123 like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    If you are worried about it you are either not using it enough or you have spent too much on it.
    Just my take on gear
    Agreed. With my tyre tube rubber band my scopes are pretty well protected and stay dry. Just opening up any ideas on a bit of extra impact protection as to me it makes sense. On one Leupold scope what I did was buy cheap push on flip ups and cut the silly flip up cover off and just kept the push on base part to protect each end of the scope in combination with the tyre tube.
    Gkp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    Just my take on gear
    98% agree. I would just say "enjoy it" rather than "thrash it"...

I can laugh at you simply because I've been there, done that. I purchased a Swaro Z6i and for the first couple of trips I was cradling the rifle like a new-born baby and protecting it like it was the last scope on earth. I got over it eventually. I still take care but I'm now back to the more grounded opinion its just a scope, it is replaceable, its a tool, I paid this much for the functionality it provides so I need to use it and enjoy it.

I never clean the glass in the field. I do have a cap on the objective to keep it clean. I have a scope cover but that comes off as I step out into the field.

So yeah... use it heaps and enjoy it.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I found my ‘grand idea’ of fitting a section of bike inner tube as a hood extending forward of the front lense was good for keeping it dry but had the not-so-good side effect of cutting down the light gathering ability of the front lense by a surprising amount

The similar idea on the rear of the scope worked well - but didn’t stop me being ‘scoped’ above my eye when shooting steeply uphill....
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    if you want to get your scope verticle put it on the lowest mag setting and look through it at a mirror then just get the verticle post to run through the center of the barrel
    draw a line on the floor in the evening and line up the centerline of the rifle with the line with the recoil pad on the ground
    shine a torch in the objective bell and check that they line up

rubber inner tube seems to be working this far make one up while you think about what could be better
    ill bet it never gets replaced

@Moa Hunter what scope did you end up getting?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CamFlatt View Post
    @Moa Hunter what scope did you end up getting?
    A Z5. I discovered that I needed one with the side focus, which the Zeiss didn't have.