Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: InReach compared to Zoleo

InReach compared to Zoleo

I don't currently have a satellite communications unit for backcountry use. Have only recently been made aware of the Zoleo option. I'm no expert on these things. Anything else out there I'm missing ?
    Any recommendations from users on the useability of these please ? An important consideration for me is access to weather forecasts.
    Also, how do subscription costs compare and can subs. be deactivated / reactivated at will ?
    Thankyou for any info forthcoming.
    Cheers
    Bergara_bangstick likes this.

Talk to Tony at Trackme website they can answer almost all your questions. Some subs can be put on hold. I don't have one but used to have access to an InReach. Spot is the 3rd option or if you like dealing with Muppets OneNZ will have text coverage on your cellphone this year they say.
    Happy Jack.

Zoleo is a pretty good option- Unlimited Messaging costs 80AUD/month- have to pay for the first 3 activated months before you can put it on hold, once on hold it costs around 4AUD a month to upkeep the phone number and email associated with the account.

Weather updating on it has been pretty accurate and haven't had too many hassles sending messages to the family or my location, just sometimes gets held up waiting for a satellite to fly over

Quote Originally Posted by SikaHuntaa View Post
    Zoleo is a pretty good option- Unlimited Messaging costs 80AUD/month- have to pay for the first 3 activated months before you can put it on hold, once on hold it costs around 4AUD a month to upkeep the phone number and email associated with the account.

Weather updating on it has been pretty accurate and haven't had too many hassles sending messages to the family or my location, just sometimes gets held up waiting for a satellite to fly over
    Just curious, could you have it on hold, then activate it when you have an emergency, or does it need to be activated while in a cell/Internet area?
    I have a PLB away getting new batteries at present, but just been told they won't replace the battery as it will be it's third set. They are concerned the unit may not be reliable due to age. Makes sense.
    I'm tossing up whether to go PLB or messaging system.
    Overkill is still dead.

Gkp
    My understanding is you should keep a plb as a dedicated emergency becon and if you want message you carry an inreach or similar.
    I'm not up to play on the tech but I've heard people say hold off on the messaging device as we may get the option to have unlimited satellite connection on our phones soon?
    Fred Fisherman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Just curious, could you have it on hold, then activate it when you have an emergency, or does it need to be activated while in a cell/Internet area?
    I have a PLB away getting new batteries at present, but just been told they won't replace the battery as it will be it's third set. They are concerned the unit may not be reliable due to age. Makes sense.
    I'm tossing up whether to go PLB or messaging system.
    I have a PLB unit. The advantages I see with the satellite / messaging system is access to weather forecasts and texting. And an SOS alert is already built in. I have heard about the pending satellite system coming for cellphones, which I think is 2025 .. ? But I don't know if emergency alerting will be a feature unless done through calling 111 ...?
    Was contemplating a satellite unit for an upcoming hunt but might check out hiring a unit to obtain some use experience and determine if going ahead with purchase is warranted.

You’re soon going to have the option of Starlink as an option with your phone plan that will make these devices obsolete.

Rolling out here now with Optus and Telstra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, you need to use the internet site to reactivate the account, I also have a dedicated PLB, was debating if I was gonna get the batteries replaced in it once they're out in June but think I will to have a back up to a back up if all else fails
    7mmwsm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SikaHuntaa View Post
    Nah, you need to use the internet site to reactivate the account, I also have a dedicated PLB, was debating if I was gonna get the batteries replaced in it once they're out in June but think I will to have a back up to a back up if all else fails
    @SikaHuntaa
    To me it looks like one could have the Zoleo and not worry about the PLB, if my thinking is right. Zoleo battery is rechargeable, so no new battery cost as for the PLB ( unless battery life is very short ). Zoleo has inbuilt SOS function but I don't know if this works identically to the PLB ... ? Some initial cost to get Zoleo set up from new but thereafter cost of use is more reasonable. Plus, with Zoleo you get texting and weather forecasting functions ( and others ? ) that a PLB unit does not have. To me looks sensible to have the Zoleo but am I missing anything ? I'm not a techy person so please feel free to put me right if you could. Cheers.

Gkp
    Quote Originally Posted by 30.06king View Post
    @SikaHuntaa
    To me it looks like one could have the Zoleo and not worry about the PLB, if my thinking is right. Zoleo battery is rechargeable, so no new battery cost as for the PLB ( unless battery life is very short ). Zoleo has inbuilt SOS function but I don't know if this works identically to the PLB ... ? Some initial cost to get Zoleo set up from new but thereafter cost of use is more reasonable. Plus, with Zoleo you get texting and weather forecasting functions ( and others ? ) that a PLB unit does not have. To me looks sensible to have the Zoleo but am I missing anything ? I'm not a techy person so please feel free to put me right if you could. Cheers.
    What happens when you run your Zoleo flat and you break your leg etc?

Very much doubt you will ever run a Zoleo flat, they last for bloody ages.

I have both and take both, my understanding is the SOS on the PLB is far more reliable and goes straight to the people in NZ who need to know, with the Zoleo and InReach they get sent to the US who then transfer it over to NZ- not 100% sure on this but the little doubt in my mind about it keeps the PLB that I've had way longer than the Zoleo strapped to my pack as my main distress signal- shit if it came down to it I'd hit both and see what happened haha.
    Being rechargable is nice and the unit should only ever be turned on if you intend on receiving texts or weather updates so really no risk of it running out of battery unless you are careless. For me having both brings piece of mind not only for me but for my missus so when the battery on the PLB goes out I'll get it redone and have both
    Gkp and 30.06king like this.

Ned
    The PLB is transmitting constantly a signal that allows the chopper to pinpoint the location. Other units do not?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    The PLB is transmitting constantly a signal that allows the chopper to pinpoint the location. Other units do not?

Correct.

Having a PLB on you is a given regardless of what else you might have. The cost of a plb amortised over a 7 year battery life is still only $50/year roughly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gkp likes this.