Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Zoleo Satellite Communicator

Hi Team,

I’ve been looking into an inreach mini type device and stumbled across the Zoleo Satellite communicator. Anyone have any experience with these?

https://skippersmate.co.nz/zoleo-nz-...iABEgLZ8fD_BwE

Cheers Hayden

Gone but not forgotten
    I have an Inreach mini 2, the Zoleo looks like it does everything the Inreach does, but the basic subscriptions are higher ($40 AUD for the Zoleo including location sharing vs $25NZ) though the Zoleo has more included satellite messages (but the Inreach has 3 preset messages that are unlimited on all plans).

I find the preset messages and location sharing the most useful features. I have one preset message saying Heading off hunting soon, and another saying Safely back at car/campsite/hut. And the family can go to a website and see where I am.

A friend has one, he really likes it. It seems that Spark phones can text straight back to the Zoleo but vodaphone phones need to use the app to text back.
    The delay between sending receiving wasn’t too bad. We were in a spot where I had cell reception and the I got a message a couple minutes after he sent it by zoleo. My reply took a minute or two.

Thanks guys, the inreach seems like a better option incase your phone stops working etc you can still communicate although clunky

Gone but not forgotten
    I haven't had any issues with Inreach messaging, but I also carry a PLB. A couple of weeks ago I forgot to turn off the Inreach before going in the hut, the next morning the battery was flat (and I had drained the powerbank charging my phone) - not the sort of thing that happens to a PLB.

Yea I carry a plb also but need some form of communication for pickups etc if no phone coverage