Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Intents Outdoors ultralight silnylon jet 1 tent first impressions and review

Cool Intents Outdoors ultralight silnylon jet 1 tent first impressions and review

Hey team I have recently started to review some of my gear choices to allow me to get into more overnight trips away from huts. A lot of the gear I started out with I got cheap and its been good but a lot of it is heavy and bulky.
    My tent was an old dome tent that weighed in at 2.5kg
    My sleeping bag was a bulky behemoth at 2kg
    Even my cooker was bulky with its capacity of 1.4lt
    So to start I looked at more compact and lighter sleeping arrangements.
    You can get some stupidly light tents if you wanna spend stupid amounts of rifle buying money.
    I looked at a few terra nova tents in the under 1kg range but balked at the $1k average price of such items.
    I also looked into bivvy bag/tarp setups that easily come in under 1kg but I like a little more room and protection from the elements.
    I settled on a jett 1 from Intents Outdoors at a claimed weight of 1.4kg being, double walled, having a generous length of over 220cms internally for us tall buggers and the ability to be set it up as either inner only or fly and footprint only for warmer weather it ticked a lot of boxes.
    Also at $249 it wasn't going to put me in the dog box with the minister for war and finance.
    Here is the link for the tent I chose.
    https://www.intentsoutdoors.co.nz/co...on-tent-jett-1

I spoke to Len the owner operator of Intents Outdoors a few times before settling on this and he was happy to talk after hours and very helpful when I explained to him my needs and wants.
    I have to say his customer service was top notch.
    I will also at this point make it clear I receive no benefit from this review and am in no way affiliated with Len or Intents Outdoors.
    This is a unbiased review.
    sako75, GWH, xtightg and 2 others like this.

First impressions.
    Well it took me about 20 to 30 minutes for the initial pitching, the instructions are pretty good but do lack diagrams that would have been helpful at 1 or 2 critical points.
    There is a demo video on the website but it also lacks clarity on the 1 or 2 points where it would've been handy.
    Anyway if a thicko like me can figure it out it can't be too hard.

Complete package minus the footprint weighed in at just under 1.4kg as advertised.

Name:  IMG_20190925_101024.jpg
Views: 4112
Size:  1.44 MB
    uk_exile likes this.

Name:  IMG_20190925_101429.jpg
Views: 3083
Size:  1.18 MB

The pegs are very light weight at 1.1gm each dunno how they'll hold up time will tell

Name:  IMG_20190925_100820.jpg
Views: 3113
Size:  1.94 MB

The footprint at 217gms looks well made and a good match for the shape of the fly when set up.

For now I'll finish out my first impressions with a few pics of it pitched on my lawn.
    There are Also a couple pics showing clearance from my head end and my feet, remembering I am 6'8" tall and have size 16 feet.
    I can also say with confidence after figuring out how to pitch it once I could easily pitch it in under 5 minutes now.
    In the weekend I'm gonna have a bit of a play and weigh up my summer camping options of just using the inner or the fly and footprint for ultralight camping.
    Please excuse my ugly mug, and scary white legs.

Name:  IMG_20190925_112357.jpg
Views: 3300
Size:  4.90 MB

Name:  IMG_20190925_112253.jpg
Views: 3232
Size:  2.59 MB

Name:  IMG_20190925_112201.jpg
Views: 3210
Size:  3.65 MB
    Last edited by dannyb; 25-09-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

More pics...

Name:  IMG_20190925_112150.jpg
Views: 3007
Size:  2.09 MB

Name:  IMG_20190925_111958.jpg
Views: 3117
Size:  5.43 MB

Name:  IMG_20190925_111934.jpg
Views: 3089
Size:  4.71 MB

I will be spending a couple of nights in it once my sleep mat arrives from the USA in another week I have a trip away planned a week or two after that.
    I will update my review then with my thoughts and experience.

GWH
    Do you know the weight of just the fly and pegs etc (so minus inner and footprint).

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Do you know the weight of just the fly and pegs etc (so minus inner and footprint).
    The total weight was everything minus the footprint.
    I was gonna wait till I unpacked it on the weekend to weigh it in different configurations......gimme 10 minutes I'll do it now.
    GWH likes this.

Poles 248g
    Pegs x 14 total including stuff sack 146g
    Main stuff sack 48g
    Fly 507g
    Inner 441g
    Footprint 217g

So in theory if I went stuff sack, inner, poles and pegs I would be 883g
    Or stuff sack, fly, poles, footprint and pegs 1166g

Both these weights could be bought down if I got a smaller stuff sack without the buckles and compression straps.
    I am looking into a dynema sack for the tent and seperate one for the poles and pegs combined.....maybe
    I could also do away with the seperate sacks for the poles and pegs.
    But pretty good if you ask me.

With those figures in mind the total weight excluding the footprint is 1390g
    Last edited by dannyb; 25-09-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    7mmsaum, GWH and Micky Duck like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Poles 248g
    Pegs x 14 total including stuff sack 146g
    Main stuff sack 48g
    Fly 507g
    Inner 441g
    Footprint 217g

So in theory if I went stuff sack, inner, poles and pegs I would be 883g
    Or stuff sack, fly, poles, footprint and pegs 1166g

Both these weights could be bought down if I got a smaller stuff sack without the buckles and compression straps.
    I am looking into a dynema sack for the tent and seperate one for the poles and pegs combined.....maybe
    I could also do away with the seperate sacks for the poles and pegs.
    But pretty good if you ask me.

With those figures in mind the total weight excluding the footprint is 1390g
    Thanks for doing that, I'm keen to hear your feedback after spending some time out on the hill in it.
    dannyb likes this.

nice one and thanks for the review, ive been looking for a tent just like this but got stuff in a circle of death looking at multiple reviews and getting nowhere.
    Keen to hear how it holds up in a bit of Canterbury wind. Could probably do with a couple more optional rope points on the fly but maybe its not needed.....

Quote Originally Posted by BruntyHunt View Post
    nice one and thanks for the review, ive been looking for a tent just like this but got stuff in a circle of death looking at multiple reviews and getting nowhere.
    Keen to hear how it holds up in a bit of Canterbury wind. Could probably do with a couple more optional rope points on the fly but maybe its not needed.....
    It was pretty windy when I had it set up, I think it's probably got enough guy ropes in the right places.
    I know what you mean about the circle of death with reviews I agonised for about 2 weeks before I bought this.
    Even after I bought it I kept finding others that I thought could also be ideal.
    The one thing I keep coming back to is the ability of this tent to run either the fly or the inner stand alone, alot of other tents I looked at in this weight bracket could run the inner alone but not the fly or were hybrid single wall tents not much bigger than a bivvy bag.
    I can sit up in this without my head touching the roof which is a nice luxury to have if you wanna change your clothes out of the rain.
    The vestibule isn't huge but enough room for a decent pack and pair of boots without blocking the entry.
    The price was also right, it was worth a punt at that price.
    Will definitely post more as it happens, but for a guy like me who hasn't done much overnighting it's a good start.

Good info thanks! Must add a bit carrying around that hammer though?
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    Good info thanks! Must add a bit carrying around that hammer though?
    Plenty of stones out on the hills
    Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    For now I'll finish out my first impressions with a few pics of it pitched on my lawn.
    There are Also a couple pics showing clearance from my head end and my feet, remembering I am 6'8" tall and have size 16 feet.
    I can also say with confidence after figuring out how to pitch it once I could easily pitch it in under 5 minutes now.
    In the weekend I'm gonna have a bit of a play and weigh up my summer camping options of just using the inner or the fly and footprint for ultralight camping.
    Please excuse my ugly mug, and scary white legs.

Attachment 120796

Attachment 120797

Attachment 120798
    No need to apologise for the legs when you have done such a superb photogenic job of trimming your nose hair
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Get new pegs. Those will bend in no time and certainly won't be long enough to go in deep enough in some places.
    Get the triangle profile ones on ali-express, and a couple of extra long ones.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3279...chweb201603_55

The single pole tent needs to be pitched into the wind.
    Micky Duck, dannyb and +Snoop like this.