Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 6 Post By Sh00ter
  • 3 Post By MB
  • 2 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By Sh00ter
  • 3 Post By 223nut

Thread: An introduction to the use of PALS/ MOLLE gear

An introduction to the use of PALS/ MOLLE gear

I've always been a bit of a kitpest and thought some folks might find this interesting. I think PALS gear is a great way to expand the capacity of your pack/ belt kit or to increase organization. This post comes from my blog so if you want to see more pictures click on the link below.

Name:  MFF montage.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  627.0 KB

While PALS/ MOLLE webbing and pouches were originally developed for military and law enforcement use, they have become increasingly popular among civilians as well. The adaptability and durability of the system make it an excellent choice for a wide range of outdoor activities and hobbies, from hunting, hiking and camping to airsoft and paintball. In essence it allows you to configure your equipment as you like it and is an ideal choice for anyone who needs to carry and access a variety of gear and accessories in a convenient and efficient manner.

PALS/ MOLLE webbing refers to a system of webbing and loops used for attaching pouches and accessories to backpacks, vests, and other equipment. The system originally consisted of rows of heavy-duty 1 inch nylon webbing that is stitched onto gear at 1.5 inch intervals. A recent development is the use of laser cut laminates that help to reduce weight and bulk.

PALS stands for "Pouch Attachment Ladder System," while MOLLE stands for "Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment." Both systems are functionally the same, with MOLLE being the version of PALS equipment used by the US Military. The two terms have become inter-changeable.

PALS Pouches typically feature a backing made of durable nylon that has a series of straps on the back. These straps are designed to be woven through the webbing on the gear to attach the pouch securely. This system allows pouches to be easily swapped or rearranged to suit the user's needs. Pouches come in a variety of shapes and sizes, including magazine pouches, medical pouches, water bottle and utility pouches.

One of the main advantages of PALS webbing and pouches is their versatility. The system allows for the user to easily customize their loadout to fit their specific activity or hobby. For example, a hiker may choose to attach a hydration bladder, first aid kit, and GPS pouch to their backpack, while a airsoft player may choose to attach magazine pouches, utility pouches, and holsters to their vest.

In addition to their adaptability, PALS pouches are also known for their durability. The heavy-duty nylon webbing and pouch materials can withstand harsh conditions as well as wear and tear from daily use. This makes them an ideal choice for those who participate in outdoor activities or hobbies that involve rough terrain or challenging conditions.

PALS pouches also provide a convenient way to carry equipment and accessories. By having pouches attached to their gear, users can keep essential items close at hand and easily accessible. This can be particularly useful for activities like hiking, where stopping to dig through a backpack for necessary items can be time-consuming and disruptive. It's not hard to see the benefits of having medical supplies quick to hand.

Some of the key advantages of PALS equipment include:

Versatility: PALS webbing is designed to be modular, which means that it can be easily customized to fit a wide variety of gear setups and configurations. The system allows for the user to easily attach and detach different pouches and accessories depending on their specific needs and preferences.

Durability: PALS equipment is made from heavy-duty nylon and is designed to withstand harsh conditions and heavy use. This makes it an ideal choice for outdoor activities, military operations, and other demanding situations.

Accessibility: By attaching pouches and accessories to PALS webbing, users can keep essential items close at hand and easily accessible. This can be particularly useful in situations where quick and easy access to gear can make a significant difference.

Interoperability: The standardized spacing and placement of the webbing loops on PALS webbing allows for interoperability between different brands and models of pouches and accessories that use the system. This means that users can mix and match different products without having to worry about compatibility issues.

Customizability: PALS webbing allows for a high degree of customizability and flexibility in gear setups. Users can choose to attach pouches and accessories in a variety of configurations and orientations, depending on their specific needs and preferences.

Overall, PALS gear provides a versatile, durable, and accessible system for attaching and carrying gear and accessories. Its modularity and interoperability make it an ideal choice for a wide variety of contexts and applications, from military operations to outdoor recreation and beyond.

Name:  334592382_158060340384133_7570373918745567090_n (1).jpg
Views: 356
Size:  968.7 KB
    The attachment strap is woven through the webbing on the pack then back through the pouch, through the pack again until you reach the bottom when it is tucked back into the pouch. When done correctly this is very secure.

Name:  pals belt.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  860.0 KB
    Pouches with a PALS backing can be easily adapted to use with a belt.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Here's a couple of useful links,
    https://bushlifenz.com/blogs/bushlif...w-does-it-work

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/search?search_string=molle
    Tahr, Puffin, Marty Henry and 3 others like this.
    Hit the hills, live the BushLife!

https://bushlifenz.com

MB
    I've been using this kind of stuff for a few years now, mainly because I hate backpacks, too sweaty. Works for me. I've got my day hunt gear down to two pouches in warmer environments. Carry a folding meat bag in one of the pouches which does go on my back if I get an animal.

Left home in glorious sunshine yesterday, came back in pouring rain and howling wind. Living in the mountains I need to carry slightly more gear, wish I could use that system but doubt it would work for me. Love the concept though.

I made a setting of webbing (similar to my TFyears) up for duckshooting with differing sized pouches for gear including two one for 2 3/4 and other for 3"ammo. nothing flash but serves its purpose in holding all bits and pieces not wanted in my pack.It also means my spare 12g chokes and field service kit etc are at hand when i want them.

MB
    Biggest challenge with this stuff is not looking like a paramilitary from a banana republic!
    bumblefoot, nickbop and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Biggest challenge with this stuff is not looking like a paramilitary from a banana republic!
    This. I usually wear my Osprey molle vest when going to range to shoot centrefire, no pouches. Usually with a light jacket over it, but I really shouldn't care as long as my right shoulder AC joint thanks me for it. The heavy nylon spreads recoil nicely.

As for using in the bush, great for spreading load if you hate a rucksack. Just note it's heavy dutY ... which means it's not for the guy who knows what his toothbrush weighs.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

MB
    I may be from a banana republic, but I'm no paramilitary
    Cordite and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    One of the things I like about Helikon is the way they add PALS functionality without being Army barmy. It's a shame more manufacturers don't add PALS to their gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    This. I usually wear my Osprey molle vest when going to range to shoot centrefire, no pouches. Usually with a light jacket over it, but I really shouldn't care as long as my right shoulder AC joint thanks me for it. The heavy nylon spreads recoil nicely.
    I'm glad someone found a use for that vest. I can count on my thumbs the number of times I saw them being used when I was in .
    Cordite likes this.
    Hit the hills, live the BushLife!

https://bushlifenz.com

Biggest disadvantage of having pouches on the outside is when you get in the thick stuff, couple of strands of supplejack around different pouches makes forward progress difficult!!

Tried the system and can definitely see the benefits but prefer everything inside a pack (even if what you want is always at the bottom!!)
    woods223, Cordite and Happy Jack like this.