Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Jetboil Mini Mo ??...

Big fan of the jetboil, reliable, fast & very efficient on gas, If it's cold or at altitude I just chuck the gas canister in my sleeping bag at night
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Ejected
    @LOC are you able to post some photos of your setup vs the jet boil for size comparison etc please.
    Have been considering going the ti pot and cooker route. Currently have a jetboil flash, and while they're super convenient it's always nice to try new things

I got a firemaple ti cooker and a 750ml pot that the gas canister cooker and a light fit into it's a great light set up. I can take a photo later.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Ejected
    I was looking at something like this.

Name:  pot.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  96.7 KB

I had a Jetboil, great stove, so much faster than standard gas. I traded up to a MSR Windboiler, it seems like a more robust and more weather resistant model; although Shelley points out it doesn't have a built in igniter, you have to use a lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post

Attachment 74709
    Get a folding titanium spork and you're good to go bro... That's all I carry!

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggun708 View Post
    Get a folding titanium spork and you're good to go bro... That's all I carry!
    Got a few plastic sporks to break yet haha. Can't resist every time I go in to macpac and they're sitting at the counter

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Biggun708 likes this.

Attachment 74709
    I've got exactly the same. It's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    I had a Jetboil, great stove, so much faster than standard gas. I traded up to a MSR Windboiler, it seems like a more robust and more weather resistant model; although Shelley points out it doesn't have a built in igniter, you have to use a lighter.
    Similar experience here. The jet boil igniter seemed to be a common failure point with online reviews which I felt evened out the pros/cons of each unit. The jet boil does allow you to light the burner with the flask in position. With the MSR you lose some efficiency between lighting the burner and replacing the pot on the heat. But this is negligible.
    Neither is an über light option but that is the trade off between weight and efficiency. The jet boil and windburner excel at boiling water fast, but at the expense of portability and multifunction.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I've got exactly the same. It's fine.
    Do you find it needs a wind shield at all?

Its got a little turbo head thing on it and puts out quite a strong flame. Apart from going behind a tree or a bank I've never had to protect it.

Name:  IMG_0942.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  783.5 KB
    Nibblet and Biggun708 like this.

Ejected
    nice one, cheers Tahr

I have an old Primus gas ring with a dented ol' aluminium billy, both of which are about 30 years old and considered by many in need of replacement. Just recently my bro-in-law spent a million dollars on a shiny new mini jetboil which he imported from the UK. I have to admit I was envious. His mate had a Chinese copy of a MSR (I think?), so we decided to put 1 litre of water in each and side by side we timed them to the boil.

I was surprised my old POS equipent blew them both into the weeds... I was a full 30 seconds ahead of the wizz-bang Jetboil and the other stove was about 2 min 30 sec behind the Jetboil. I enjoyed that moment of smug satisfaction.

Caveat - this was done indoors at an altitude of 420 m. The other boys had gas canisters the same size (230 g), they were new and full. My gas canister was full too but was on its second refill so maybe my LPG gas was a better mix? Finally, I don't doubt the Jetboil would perform better in windy conditions when compared to my rig, because I don't have the fancy ribs on the bottom of my billy. But that aside, I've decided I'm not going to buy a fancy new Jetboil anytime soon. AND... I can still use my dented billy over a fire when I run out of gas.

My point : - Buy smart, not expensive.

Actually that's probably not my point... really what I'm saying is - buy what suits your needs and don't be drawn in by the marketing hype. If it takes 30 seconds longer to boil, who bloody cares??? So long as whatever you buy fits your needs and gets the job done for you. Not your mate. You.
    Last edited by planenutz; 02-09-2017 at 06:18 PM.

I'm a really big fan of the Soto burner I have.
    OD-1RXC | Products | SOTO
    It has a micro regulator and will use every gram of gas in a canister. It will go full noise and then stop dead when the canister is empty. And I mean empty. Shake it and there is nothing.
    I use it in conjunction with a MSR (I think) copy billy and the two together are super efficient.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Buli...311.0.0.bkfjwV
    A short while ago I was at 1700m in the snow with a nearly empty canister and it still boiled in no time.
    Name:  IMG_20170521_124600.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  969.7 KB
    gadgetman, tikka and LOC like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I use the same more or less, but have a couple of bits of beer can (tall ones) that I chuck in with them as a windshield. Don't need it most of the time.
    Biggun708 likes this.