Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Knife sharpening gear

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Could never understand why someone would spend a heap of valuable time sharpening a knife and then use what is essentially a round bastard file on it to ‘get an edge’. A steel should be super smooth if used, but way better to use a strop, particularly on carbon steel or the more modern super steels. If you are using a softish stainless than a bastard file is probably a good way to go and keep using it regularly (remember the dandruff add?)
    I dont either or they pull out the diamond steel a chainsaw file would do the same. Different strokes for different folks I suppose

I just use the same oil stone I use for my chisels and plane blades always have but only ever on the smooth side of the stone, works for me probably not razor sharp knives but plenty sharp enough for what I need.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by country cuts View Post
    I dont either or they pull out the diamond steel a chainsaw file would do the same. Different strokes for different folks I suppose
    My grandfather was a butcher during the depression. My older brother has his steel - a long and slender super smooth carbon steel that was ‘conditioned’ with an iodine etch.
    mimms2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    My grandfather was a butcher during the depression. My older brother has his steel - a long and slender super smooth carbon steel that was ‘conditioned’ with an iodine etch.
    Nice it is easy to restore an old pitted one just soak it in a thermos of acid for a day or 2 then take to it with some wet and dry to smooth then soak it in iodine for a day or 2 to get the desired bite you want
    mimms2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by country cuts View Post
    Nice it is easy to restore an old pitted one just soak it in a thermos of acid for a day or 2 then take to it with some wet and dry to smooth then soak it in iodine for a day or 2 to get the desired bite you want
    Absolutely. Old steels are one of those items I look for when foraging small town second hand shops

I have a big cambrian lamb steel...short rabbiters of same make...both reasonably course but work well with mild steel...a oval diamond jobbie,works almost like a stoning...and a fisheries one that is smooth on 2 sides and very gently grooved on other 2.....

You might consider getting a decent double sided diamond stone, dmt is a good brand, carbatec sell them, will set you back a couple of hundred for a good 8 inch one but it will never dish or crack, you don’t need water if you don’t want too, but can use it to wash stuff away and it will last forever, a medium/fine combo will set you up along with a simple strop made from a bit of leather glued to a bit of flat wood and you are set.

Mind you if you ever need an edge reset, or want to try something really sharp I charge a fiver for a small knife or seven fifty for a big one and can take it up to 60,000 grit.
    Shelley 021727546
    Grey Kiwi and Micky Duck like this.

This is my go to for touching up my jap knives. https://number27.co.nz/shop/Morihei-...-Hi-p355989345
    Not the cheapest stone but it’s bigger than most stones so will last a long time. I finish off with a 3000, which is plenty fine enough for the home cook.
    If you don’t want to spend that much, the King stones also do a bloody good job, at a lot less cost.
    If you want a repair stone, the same site does a 320 Shapton glass stone that’ll rip out any damage in no time.
    I wouldn’t trust the trademe stones, I’ve bought a few and they’ve always been very soft and a lot more course than they say.

Bought this today.
    https://www.artisanknives.co.nz/shop...rpening-stone/
    It has the two grit sizes I wanted.
    Made in Japan, so should be better than TM 'Made in China' stuff.
    Thanks for all your replies guys.
    Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Kiwi View Post
    Bought this today.
    https://www.artisanknives.co.nz/shop...rpening-stone/
    It has the two grit sizes I wanted.
    Made in Japan, so should be better than TM 'Made in China' stuff.
    Thanks for all your replies guys.
    Much appreciated.
    Solid choice. The Suehiro soaking stones are lovely to use. have an excellent feel, the feedback you get from sharpening with them is very satisfying.

Get a simple leather strop as well for maintenance
    Grey Kiwi likes this.