Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DAF
    I got the Apex 4 Kit, those polishing tapes sure do put a scary edge on a knife

I got the upgraded kit with a few extra stones and polishing tapes.

They were superb to deal with and answered emails promptly and were very obliging, even included change in US dollars as the postage was able to be combined. Most impressed

For anyone who is interested.

Here are some pricey sharpening machines out there!!

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/dick.htm

I'm not taking anything away from the devices on here because I know they do a great job and they are practical. For me though half the fun of having a good knife is keeping it razor sharp by hand. I use Japanese water stones. 1000 and 4000 grit and a leather strop with Barkriver compound to finish. I put a convex edge on them if I can. They aren't sharp unless they will run through newspaper without any force. Not that they need to be this sharp for general hunting.

How sharp are you getting your knives with the Apex etc?

Trouble is though, now that I have got onto this I'm inclined to buy knives just to try different steel and makes.
    Last edited by Tahr; 17-12-2011 at 04:28 PM.

the knives I sharpen for my butcher misses will slice through thin paper without any force, the biggest problem is with any bone hit does damage to the edge, the edge you put on a knife has to suit the job its doing
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

Quote Originally Posted by crzyman View Post
    the knives I sharpen for my butcher misses will slice through thin paper without any force, the biggest problem is with any bone hit does damage to the edge, the edge you put on a knife has to suit the job its doing
    Yeah. More angle for boning and less for skinning and general cutting up. That's what I do anyway.

Sounds like your gadget is doing the trick.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Shit thats flash alright, Me thinks its a bit flash for the old Green river how muchie ?
    Let me know when yours arrives so I can bring me knife around and test it.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

So whens the best time to polish a blade and when not?

The bloke comments on polishing being no good on a kitchen knife, because u dont get a grippy serrated bit I suppose to do ya tomatos etc...so when is polishing handy?

Ejected
    Wrong way round I think savageshooter, you don't want the grippy serrated for Tomato's.

I've got the linisher set to 35 degree's, so hold the knife level. Then onto the buff.