Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Kuiu packs

Kuiu packs

Hey guys, after a fairly thorough trip over the weekend my pack was giving my back some serious grief and I didn't even have a animal in so would hate to think what it would be like.

Have always liked the look of the Kuiu setup and almost got one but yer the cost is up there. Maybe should done it earlier, buy once cry once.

Anyway most reviews are pretty positive but was hoping to here from you guys who have used them a bit. Pros and cons etc

Will look at stone glacier to, other suggestions?

Is Tatonka an option? I see they have come out with a modular system based on the Bison. Most people like the Bison harness but it is a heavy set up

$399 for the frame/harness @ 2.8kgs
    $339 for the 70 plus 10l pack/sack @ 1.4kgs

so 4.2kgs just for the back pack

Kuiu runs at ~ 1.2kgs for the CF frame/harness and ~2kgs for the lite weight 70l bag

https://tatonka.co.nz/hunting/modulus/

Will have a look at Tatonka but the weights up there.

Kuiu Pro LT 5500 is 1916 grams all up according to website so more than 2kg lighter.

Have a look at Exo mtn packs. They just released a new model. Look bombproof to me. And the feedback I have heard it tops.

Check this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdkN_rAeSx0

In saying that, the cost to get one here is pretty steep. I'm probably going to get a kuiu pack next time they go on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Hey guys, after a fairly thorough trip over the weekend my pack was giving my back some serious grief and I didn't even have a animal in so would hate to think what it would be like.

Have always liked the look of the Kuiu setup and almost got one but yer the cost is up there. Maybe should done it earlier, buy once cry once.

Anyway most reviews are pretty positive but was hoping to here from you guys who have used them a bit. Pros and cons etc

Will look at stone glacier to, other suggestions?

I upgraded my 20yr old Macpac Genesis pack 18months ago to the Kuiu Pro Frame Pack System. I got the Pro LT 5500 for my main bag and also grabbed a Pro 2300 for a day bag to swap out with.

Based on some decent hikes in with pretty heavy loads I think the system is bloody epic and well worth the spend. The system is very well thought out, the pockets and straps are well located, once the harness is fitted properly its very comfortable and I seem to be able to carry heavy loads without it feeling like its suck a heavy load (especially compared to my old macpac). The only small gripe is the top pocket/lid could have a wider skirt to cover the main pack top a little more when fully laden with gear, but a rain cover sorts out any worries of keeping debris and water off pack.

When on multi day trips on the tops I have now gone to using the just 5500 as both the main pack and day pack as it just works so well.

Its worth getting the hip belt pouches, rain cover and also the quick draw rifle holder at the same time to make the most of the shipping costs.
    RV1 and 25/08 IMP like this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

DBD
    What you recon the 5500 with other bits cost ya?
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...

I used a Tatonka Bison for years and ended up getting a Kuiu pro LT set up a year and a half ago.

The Kuiu set up is so much more functional and is all around a much better set up, I’ve had some pretty heavy loads in it and really rate it.

Wait until Kuiu have there yearly pack sale if you can it will save you a fortune.
    hotsoup likes this.

Jus
    Go Kuiu, you wil not regret it. I spent a grand on mine, equivalent of a 65 litre and a 100 litre. Loaded up with meat, over night gear, rifle, 40kg easily, it’s still not uncomfortable, carry for hours on walkouts. If I had to do it all over I’d still go Kuiu and spend the coin happily. That said, my main criteria was a meat shelf, I would have a good look at the Tatonka modulus now though. But I would be very surprised if you bought a Kuiu pack and we’re unhappy with it

Cactus packs are pretty tough.
    7mmsaum and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Caretaker
    Cactus for the win
    BRADS and Ryan_Songhurst like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I picked one up last sale. I have the pro lt 4000. It's mint. Carries weight super well, is simple but well organised and the load shelf. Is awesome. Keeps the heavy loads hard against your back.

Definately the best pack I've owned. I picked it up on sale and landed it was like a shade under $700. I'll pick up the 90l when next on sale.

I have been using a Kuiu Pro 7800 for 5 years and rate it highly for comfort. It’s well made and light. I see lots of packs in a role I have taking 20 people every year into the Wilderness in Sweden and also rate the Tatonka range. Many packs I see don’t have the ability to adjust well. Both Kuiu and Tatonka do that well. I imagine there are many good packs out there but I can speak for Kuiu.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Cactus for the win
    Unfortunately it's the foray that's giving me grief. No doubt they are great packs, rugged and simple but the fits just not right for me.

Packs are look boots got get the fit right at one point I tried going with tatonka but it was so uncomfortable I just got a cheep pack to fill gap till I find something & iv gone spike & love it works the same as kuiu

Quote Originally Posted by hunt08 View Post
    Packs are look boots got get the fit right at one point I tried going with tatonka but it was so uncomfortable I just got a cheep pack to fill gap till I find something & iv gone spike & love it works the same as kuiu
    I have a Kuiu 3600 and a 6000 I only use the 3600 personal belongings go in the pack and meat in the meat bags on the load shelf.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Nick-D, Cigar, DBD and 3 others like this.