Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Light Weight Tents

Light Weight Tents

Hi Guys,

I know this question has been asked before, but a lot of new tents have come out since it was last asked.

I'm searching for a sub 2kg 2 person tent. There seem to be a bunch of options around from different brands, but not many back to back reviews from hunters. From what I've seen though, most people are using the MSR Hubba Hubba. I plan to use it for year round walk in missions that are 1-7 nights long.

My question's around these are;
    1. How do all these tent's hold up to the wind and rain that we get in the southern alps?
    2. Is there a difference between the $1000+ tents and the likes of the bushbuck version?
    3. How durable are they?
    4. What tent do you use and do you like it?

Thanks!

1. ok, but they won't handle 4 season or extreme wind
    2. Yes, price! Other differences are small. Lots of comparator reviews on youtube.
    3. Depends how you treat them, and a little which version you get. Using extra ground sheet is good idea.
    4. What = see my review. It also has links to a comparator video. https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....a-clone-66856/
    Why = its got most of the MSR features for much much less $. Zero complaints so far. One comment though, the inner has less fabric, more mesh, low down so it cooler than MSR or Bushbuck. Ideal for summer, less so for mid winter.

I have the bushbuck 2 man tent & it's been really good so far, haven't had it in heavy snow or huge winds yet but it has handled big rains no issues...... it has quite steep sides so a suspect won't be that great at shedding wind?
    Its freestanding so super easy to pitch.

Generally i use my macpac microlight (1 man tent) i've had it for ages in all weather and its been bombproof, also pitches inner & outer together which is an awesome feature in crap weather.

Awesome. Thanks guys. This is exactly the type of info I'm after!

Just been through this myself looking for a mid-lightweight 3-4 season tent. Was tossing up between a Terra nova southern cross 2 and the Kuiu mountain star. Ended up with the Terra nova because i found a cheap deal on trademe. good so far, Only dislike is the tent inner fabric is quite loose and there is a lack of guy rope attachments which worries me a bit but no trouble so far.
    From personal experience trialing some bush buck clothing for a day and every single piece falling apart I stay away but, there is plenty out there with good experiences as well.
    MSR Hubba Hubba i have had flat on the deck in mid-high winds so for a tops tent i would try get something with a stronger pole structure.

Kuiu Mountain Star
    Brilliant tent with decent head height and proper vestibules
    Exoskeleton means that it pitches nice and tight, doesn't flap in the wind and doesn't need lots of guy ropes around it

You will get a 20% discount on first purchase if you sign up for their email news
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Just got the Msr access 2 recently. After about 5 years of owning the nemo kunai 2P. Nemo was an excellent tent and really tough! Changed up as ruined the nemo in the end after poor campsite placement caused it to get destroyed by wind, that’s more my fault than the tent. They cost about $1100 so a good option . The reasons however I didn’t buy one again as I wanted the 2 vestibules for the MSR. Which having used recently was a game changer compared to the one vestibule nemo. It just makes the getting in and out of tent in shitty weather easier as you don’t have to wait for each other and don’t have to share the room in the vestibule. Just put under your side what you like to have handy. Secondly there is a bit more head height in the MSR so can sit up fully. The nemo is a little bit shorter inside and doesn’t have as large of a floor space so can get a bit tight if you spending 1+ days stuck inside it.

I haven’t fully tested the MSR and really bad weather, just a wee bit of snow/rain/hail type stuff but not strong winds. However I am happy with the guy rope set up as it feels very secure.

Main difference however for the extra benefits is that the MSR is $1600

Kuiu mountain star over an MSR Hubba Huhba all day long. The external crossover pole design is just so much better for assembly in wet/windy conditions and far more stable in wind. Excellent tent at a good weight. Mines been in Fiordland, the west coast and trips around the North Island.

If you want to see a great honest bushbuck review then watch this: https://youtu.be/E-dI8tOW2Y0
    veitnamcam, Bryan, Puffin and 4 others like this.

If you're going to be out in cold conditions look for one with less mesh, it'll be heavier but much warmer. I like my One Planet Goondies and they make a "winter version with less mesh.
    RV1 likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    If you're going to be out in cold conditions look for one with less mesh, it'll be heavier but much warmer. I like my One Planet Goondies and they make a "winter version with less mesh.
    I had my snow goondie 2 in fiordland for 10 days first period. Never once wished for a lighter tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's odd cause I have not had any complaints with my bushbuck one. Certainly don't have issues like that review. In fact the only gripe I have it it's a tiny bit condensation inducing if not set up with the vents windward

Don’t know about snow but MSR Hubba Hubba is solid as in high winds. Never been worried about it at all. I generally don’t use the inside ‘tent’ part at all, just the fly and a plastic ground sheet. If you need bug protection then the inside tent would be necessary. Heaps of room for two. With practice can get it up almost completely dry inside in pouring rain.

Goondie 2 is a good tent. You can customise it for mesh or winter nylon inner and 15D, 30D weight or snow fly.
    Has a great tub floor and weighs in just below 2.0 kg. 1.8 for the winter inner and 30D fly.
    It’s a 1.5 P in size really. It’s warm and cosy with two regular blokes in it.
    Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.

Thanks! It sounds like the Kuiu is the way to go if there are going to be two people in it

The nature hike tents from aliexpress are good and cheap. The 2 man is really only 1 man plus gear though.