Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Light Weight Tents

funny Ive just packed my pack for overnighter in what will be VERY cold conditions... I have some small tents but nothing really light... so Ive gone bivy bag and fly with single pole....cannot see why/how a tent will be warmer than bivy bag with fly over top as my breath will if anything have smaller area to warm up... hope I dont fart and suffocate...normally Im a sleep with head n shoulders out of bivy bag but somehow I thing minus 10 will see me snuggled right up.
    am I bonkers??? is a small pup tent going to add much warmth compared to a fly only???
    dont worry I have shit loads of spare clothing..full set of polyprop and full set of polarfleece that arent being worn on tramp in.
    uk_exile and RV1 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

@Micky Duck buy a a couple pies from that bakery in town you be right
    Micky Duck and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    funny Ive just packed my pack for overnighter in what will be VERY cold conditions... I have some small tents but nothing really light... so Ive gone bivy bag and fly with single pole....cannot see why/how a tent will be warmer than bivy bag with fly over top as my breath will if anything have smaller area to warm up... hope I dont fart and suffocate...normally Im a sleep with head n shoulders out of bivy bag but somehow I thing minus 10 will see me snuggled right up.
    am I bonkers??? is a small pup tent going to add much warmth compared to a fly only???
    dont worry I have shit loads of spare clothing..full set of polyprop and full set of polarfleece that arent being worn on tramp in.
    I have done the same as you winter possuming, [Arthurs Pass near main divide] slept in a tent, next time was under a fly, went back to a tent. Just under a fly your face will freeze, tent not so much , get a mask or something to go over your face if you are just under a fly.
    Micky Duck likes this.

cheers,thats the sort of info I was after....bivy bag goes right over me and zips up and my sleeping bag will cocoon right down to tiny opening so fingers crossed...now getting up for a pee in the wee small hours (pun intended) could be interesting.
    uk_exile, sore head stoat and RV1 like this.

Gkp
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    1. ok, but they won't handle 4 season or extreme wind
    2. Yes, price! Other differences are small. Lots of comparator reviews on youtube.
    3. Depends how you treat them, and a little which version you get. Using extra ground sheet is good idea.
    4. What = see my review. It also has links to a comparator video. https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....a-clone-66856/
    Why = its got most of the MSR features for much much less $. Zero complaints so far. One comment though, the inner has less fabric, more mesh, low down so it cooler than MSR or Bushbuck. Ideal for summer, less so for mid winter.
    I have one of those aliexpress tents and also an MSR. I would buy yhe aliexpress one again. Same quality for a quarter of the price

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    Kuiu mountain star, best bang for buck
    veitnamcam and stagstalker like this.
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

Kiwi camping weka hiker tent is serving me very well. Slightly heavier weighing in at 2.4kg.
    When my mates Bushbuck tent had it's side cave in due to wind the weka held it's shape very nicely. For a $300 tent I couldn't recommend it more. I'm 6'3" and it's one of the few that are long enough.
    It's stats stack up very well for the money and I think it is well worth considering.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Bivvy bag and fly is very cold

Despite a tent being very thin it does trap a fair bit of heat and does make a huge difference to your comfort

The next level is a tipi with an inner.
    Traps 50mm of air between the layers and stops condensation
    But not considered to be light weight unless you intend being there for some time
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

well it didnt get down to minus 10...possibly minus 5???? and I was warm as toast snuggled up in beech saplings in deep leaf litter.slept like a log. actually didnt shut bivy bag completely ,had in nearly shut when sleeping on my right shoulder and flipped lid back when on my back of left shoulder.didnt have sleeping bag done right up either...neat being able to tuck pillow of cloths into the top of bivy bag it kept bottom half nicely propped up as well as a head rest. am confident could do same again in much colder and be ok..trick being I was out of breaze.
    308, Moa Hunter, Ned and 1 others like this.

I've been through a few. Favourite was a Macpac microlight, just easy but not much room. Started with huntech bivvy. Tried swags/bivvy bags...hated them, claustrophobic. Got a Zpacks duplicate with freestanding kit now. Expensive, not so forgiving when putting up. I'd try the Kuiu tent and some nice tents here: https://www.garagegrowngear.com/collections/shelters
    Micky Duck and Sika 8 like this.

I still love my huntech bivvy,the open end doesnt worry me at all...and agree re claustrophobic... thus why bivvybag was open if on my back or left shoulder LOL

I moved on from open end after a possum came in and woke up with old mate saying he'd shoot it.

*zpack duplex

What kind of bivvy bag do you use @Micky Duck?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Light Weight Tents

If it’s pouring and the water is running a good tent is dryer for you and your kit.

In the dry, a fly and bivy bag or ground sheet wrapped over your bag is ok.

Can’t always pick the weather you’re going to get though!

I have a msr hubba hubba 2 person. Its been a good tent but i do wish i had bought the 3 person. The vestibules on each side are pretty uselessly small so in bad weather if your trying to keep your pack/rifle/gear dry, you have to bring it inside the tent with you. Gets pretty crowded inside with 2 people 2 packs 2 rifles.