Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Log tongs vs snug chain

Is that to keep it together when splitting or just moving them?When splitting (with the axe) I use a chain with a bit of bungee cord on it, holds the ring together rather than walking all over the place picking bits up

Will have to go looking, there was an old land cruiser single cab at the bottom of the Gully, it got a little squashed by the last tree but think the bonnet should be all good
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Is that to keep it together when splitting or just moving them?When splitting (with the axe) I use a chain with a bit of bungee cord on it, holds the ring together rather than walking all over the place picking bits up
    For moving them, I like the idea of chain and bungee when splitting with an axe, not that I will ever use an axe again, I think I last used an axe before bungee was invented.

Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong.

You're planning on dragging 3-4 ft diamiter logs at 30-40m long, up hill using a landcruiser?

Sounds like a plan for wrecking your landcruiser.

Find someone with a tractor or bulldozer.

Pine halves in weight (just a guess) when it dries, if you can leave it for a year then it saves your back and gear a whole lot of work.

I find Pine to be a PITA to split by hand, too soft, splitter just sinks into it.

trick with spilltingpine by hand is to go around outside of block taking off chips as you go.3" wide works..dont split through guts as do with native,just keep working around outside till you get it allsplit and just have wee round in guts to split in half.
    took a sheilah to shot me that one,having grown up splitting matai n maire it took some effort to make myself do it...but it works.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong.

You're planning on dragging 3-4 ft diamiter logs at 30-40m long, up hill using a landcruiser?

Sounds like a plan for wrecking your landcruiser.

Find someone with a tractor or bulldozer.

Pine halves in weight (just a guess) when it dries, if you can leave it for a year then it saves your back and gear a whole lot of work.

I find Pine to be a PITA to split by hand, too soft, splitter just sinks into it.
    He’s talking about short sections of log, three rings long, so maybe 1000mm? Pine does drastically reduce in weight once dried, but not generally in log form. I’ve only ever bothered to split big old man pine, never with a splitter, only with a chopping axe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yep, logs cut to length that the truck can pull, entire tree is about 40m high.

Md is onto with the splitting technique, ideally an ace with a long cutting edge rather than a heavy sucker, my big tuatahi monstered through the last lot.
    Micky Duck likes this.

For those worried about me hurting my poor old landcruiser..... I may have gotten my hands on an early 90s bighorn 3.1 manual to do tractor duty
    rugerman, Micky Duck and ROKTOY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    what has that bighorn done to you that you are going to be so rough on it.
    Become the victim of salt air and corrosion to the point it's off the road... and as a bonus the 3.1 turbo is going to have a bit more up and go than my 4.2 non turbo slug