Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Looking for Advice on Boots.

+ 1 On the sportiva trango, Same results as @BRADS. They wont quite do a year of everyday use but I'll definitely buy another pair

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    As you see there are many brands with happy users.

You really have to try them on because shape and fit are everything. (Plus sole style)
    That means doing the rounds of bricks and mortar stores and paying their premium for your first pair.
    Well worth it.

For example, Ive found the Scarpa shape is just right for my feet. Several other highly rated brands, with excellent construction and features were just no good for me .

Most of my hunting is in the scarpa terra gtx. Ive had 3 pairsand one has worn right out. I think the sole did separate, but not before both toes had worn through and been repaired with shoo goo. As you see below, its a lightweight style and doesnt have any rand protecting the toe. A rubber rand limits the boots ability to stretch to fit your foot but does protect it a lot from rocks and gravel which you get in the eastern alps tararuas and ruahines but not in the kaimanawas and kaimais. The boot on the left is another scarpa but with a rigid sole that I got to take crampons for a tahr ballot block. The fit is identical but it has more insulation and would be a lot heavier when wet. The weights are 800g for the snow boot and 560g for the Terra GTX. Thats 1600g vs 1120g for a pair and the rule of thumb is that weight carried on the foot is worth 4x what it-is on the back. The lighter boot saves the effort of carrying almost 2 kg.

The other big consideration is the sole. Really you want an actual heel, which is quite rare. Most boots are designed for “trail” like the routeburn and have a more or less flat / curved shoe-like profile. Most boots have vibram brand soles and seem to be pretty sticky after the first 5 or 10 hours use on rocky ground.

My experience of midsole delamination is that is the age of the boot since it was purchased that limits the lifespan, not the amount of miles it has walked. Your boot will fail after about 5-10 yr whether you use it or not. So get out there and thrash them !

Two scarpa boots, Terra GTX on right, showing different ankle height and rand .
    Attachment 208626

A good tread pattern
    Attachment 208627
    Yep as above. Try on a bunch and see what's comfortable. My foot likes Scarpa too.

I’m running some Crispi ones at the moment for cold wet weather and Salomon for warm dry.
    Had real trouble for the last six months with a lose bone in my left ankle from and old injury when I was a kid.
    After a lot of exercise on it (which has helped) but the best advice I’ve gotten was new innersoles for all boots.
    This has been a game changer.
    I’d brought a pair of Lowa boots that I just could not get on with. Hard in the heel…was starting to have the same trouble with the Crispi boots but after sticking in these new innersoles it’s improved no end. Can now walk all day and get home and I’m in no rush to get out of them.

Try these. There not cheap but happy feet is a happy hunter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XPL78...expwortra09-21
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseclip View Post
    Ive had an ankle surgery myself and since that have had great success with Crispi Nevada Legend boots, not exactly the cheapest on the market but they give me a solid 2 years of use as a fencing contractor and are comfortable, supportive and waterproof for that time. Im quite sure they would last many more years as a hunting boot rather than a work boot. Ive also just got my old man onto the Valdres verision which is a bit lighter weight, now bear in mind hes a traditional bloke who thought $200 for boots was excessive... but with worn out knees from 20 years of shearing sheep and a good dose of gout in his feet he seems to think they are well worth the money now he's about 2 months into owning them
    Another vote from me for Crispi Nevadas, had mine 6 months now and really liking them
    Pack out heavy

+1 for Salwea