Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Maxtoch L3K LEP 3,000m Review

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post
    I have one of the first M1 Archers and it’s my go to, mate purchased a newer one and the light is too white and beam too narrow.
    That's using the Osram CSLNM1 LEDs which is what's installed in my gun lights and all I've had is the best feedback. Then again, I'm not charging Maxtoch's prices so perhaps that's why mine are so popular. If it's for searching then that's an entirely different story, but as a dedicated gun light you want it narrow so it misses the suppressor and stops any glare off the barrel. Wider beams cause issues at 10X and above as well.

The Olight Javelot Turbo has the next gen Osram model "CULPM1" for a slightly wider beam and that model comes highly recommended. I have this LED in my Osram C8+ V2 and L21A

A warmer tint like your M1 Archer will do better in foggy/rainy conditions, so it's better as an all round hunting light, but those that want max range it's only possible with either an Osram LED and/or a larger reflector.

I'm not happy with Maxtoch's build quality nowadays, they used to be really decent, now not so much. Had a customer's 2X which must have been an earlier version as the quality was excellent. The L3K I reviewed had issues. Anodizing wearing on the tail threads after a week of little use and the threads sounded very gritty. Someone I know reviewed the L2K and X Pro, and was also very disappointed at the quality.

I agree though, the L3K isn't something I'd ever recommend, but they are very popular in the US.

How you've said the new M1 is too white, some prefer the cool white tint over the warmer colors. It all comes down to personal preference.

Cool white = brightest
    Warm white = best in non ideal conditions
    Last edited by Night_Into_Day; 26-06-2021 at 12:52 AM.
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post
    Would be interested to see what is out there with excellent throw, not too white but a whole lot of light.
    You'd want to look at the Luminus SBT90.2 LEDs. Extremely power hungry and get very hot quickly, but they put out a ton of light down range. I have the Lumintop GT90 with it and that's spec'd at 7,000 lumens and 2.7km

Had another play with the L3K and I see that the camera is only picking up the brightest center, not the surrounding light around the hotspot. It's certainly not as narrow as what that video shows, this is an issue with all cameras. All of my videos show a narrower beam than what you see in person, there's no fix unless you crank up the exposure.

The photo at 1,500m is also edited. Here's a comparison of the original. When I was looking down at those houses from the hill, I could see 200-250m of coverage. If I was hunting deer out to 600m+ I'd pick up an LEP as a dedicated gun light, but certainly not for searching.

Sold it for $350 as soon as I put a buy now on it sold immediately, someone must of had an instant buy set up on bidbud

Can you insert the new Osram led into an old 2X? If so how much to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Can you insert the new Osram led into an old 2X? If so how much to do it.
    Only if you are able to get Maxtoch to send you the correct parts. You'd need the correct size MCPCB and LED gasket/centering ring. If wanting to run the latest Osram chip it would require a new driver board too. Can be done, but need the parts first otherwise it'll be too fiddly.

The driver currently installed is running at 4.2 amps I think, this is enough for the LED in my Osram C8+ V1, and what Maxtoch use in their new models. For the latest Osram LED it requires 8 amps for best performance, this is used in my Osram L21A and C8+ V2. Slightly less range with almost twice the beam width

The new 2X with the Osram has a tighter stronger beam at least to our eyes.

Yeah, here's a review of the X Pro using the Osram LED. You only get 5 minutes of Turbo and High before dropping down to 560 lumens.

Not really an upgrade for hunting though, the original 2x and X Pro have a warmer tint (yellow) which will do much better in non ideal conditions. The cool white of the Osram's are useless for these conditions. Yes, you get excellent range, but you have to weigh up what is best for your use.