Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Frogfeatures
  • 1 Post By mudgripz

Thread: Maxtoch SN6X-2S - overheating?

Maxtoch SN6X-2S - overheating?

Hi guys, I've a older maxtoch, the sn6x-2s model, and its pretty bulletproof as long as I have quality batteries and decent charge in them.
    Over the weekend I was doing a recovery on a couple of deer down a grotty gut and had need to use it for extended time - as soon as it was hot I had issues with it turning off..... ie it just turned off for a bit on its own.
    Fresh batteries...
    Any ideas?

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    timattalon likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Usually that means the batteries are flat, but of course may be an electronics issue. How old are the batteries you are using.
    Btw, I also have one of the first ones, a sn6x-2 ( along with a bunch of the new ones) Still a pretty kick are torch compared to the led lenders. Luckily a very helpful chap dedomed it for me a while ago so it kicks even more arse than when new

I could be wrong but arent they supposed to turn off when/if they get hot????I know the wee archer turns off if on high after a couple of minutes......20-30seconds if using 2nd rate batteries.

Sounds like low batts but PM gadgetman
    Micky Duck likes this.

Does it still have the original circuit board? That only gave a couple of flashing modes and a single full noise steady mode. They do generate heat and really need a bit of airflow. Older batteries also tend to have a higher internal resistance which will generate even more heat.

The newer models have three steady power modes and you can select one of the lower output modes to give longer time and less heat.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Does it still have the original circuit board? That only gave a couple of flashing modes and a single full noise steady mode. They do generate heat and really need a bit of airflow. Older batteries also tend to have a higher internal resistance which will generate even more heat.
    The newer models have three steady power modes and you can select one of the lower output modes to give longer time and less heat.
    I'm guessing it does have the original board.
    I'm only thinking its heat, as once it does turn off you can allow it to cool slightly and turn it back on. However the time before it turns itself off shortens each use.
    Very not useful when trying to locate a wounded animal

Quote Originally Posted by thejavelin View Post
    I'm guessing it does have the original board.
    I'm only thinking its heat, as once it does turn off you can allow it to cool slightly and turn it back on. However the time before it turns itself off shortens each use.
    Very not useful when trying to locate a wounded animal
    Sounds like batteries more than anything but replacing the circuit board would help so you can use the lower power modes.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!