Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Maxtoch Torch and Batteries

No gadgetman and I don't sell them. We design them - and have been doing so for years. We rejected the technology in the Olight because its not effective enough under test, and instead of an XPL-HI running at high amps in a 63mm head we went for an XML2-U4 1A in a 68mm head giving much better throw, runtime, and no need to step down to lower mode because of XPL overheating after 4-5 minutes. That's of no use.

Olights own factory testing is 250,000 lux. The Maxtoch 2Xs (set of 10 tested here and at factory) ranged from 350-370k with average of 364k lux. Newest model 2X just tested out at 403k. (+/- 3%). You won't get this 365-400k from a stock XPL-HI in a 63mm head - not enough beam concentration. We did have this Olight led running at 370k lux in the 68mm head at 6 amps but with significant overheating and low runtime - we rejected it.

Your Olight M3XS Javelot is a smaller head, lower performance thrower light - and we have no reason to doubt the factory claimed numbers for it. Its a 250k light as they say. If you feel Olight factory data wrong, send yours down and we'll do the side by side comparison. The smaller 63mm head upgrade Maxtoch M24 produces 300-315k lux - also ahead of the Olight, and again without the need for stepdown to lower mode after 4-5 minutes. Send yours down and I'll check its outputs.

Maxtoch 2X price delivered ex China with case and spares is $129NZ - compared with $211?
    Last edited by mudgripz; 10-09-2017 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    No gadgetman and I don't sell them. We design them - and have been doing so for years. We rejected the technology in the Olight because its not effective enough under test, and instead of an XPL-HI running at high amps in a 63mm head we went for an XML2-U4 1A in a 68mm head giving much better throw, runtime, and no need to step down to lower mode because of XPL overheating after 4-5 minutes. That's of no use.

Olights own factory testing is 250,000 lux. The Maxtoch 2Xs (set of 10 tested here and at factory) ranged from 350-370k with average of 364k lux. Newest model 2X just tested out at 403k. (+/- 3%). You won't get this 365-400k from a stock XPL-HI in a 63mm head - not enough beam concentration. We did have this Olight led running at 370k lux in the 68mm head at 6 amps but with significant overheating and low runtime - we rejected it.

Your Olight M3XS Javelot is a smaller head, lower performance thrower light - and we have no reason to doubt the factory claimed numbers for it. Its a 250k light as they say. If you feel Olight factory data wrong, send yours down and we'll do the side by side comparison. The smaller 63mm head upgrade Maxtoch M24 produces 300-315k lux - also ahead of the Olight, and again without the need for stepdown to lower mode after 4-5 minutes. Send yours down and I'll check its outputs.

Maxtoch 2X price delivered ex China with case and spares is $129NZ - compared with $211?
    Me "gadgetman "
    All those fancy figures - must be worth something - so to save you some more ink - "if" that price is correct - you win.
    End of subject :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Me "gadgetman "
    All those fancy figures - must be worth something - so to save you some more ink - "if" that price is correct - you win.
    End of subject :-)
    You @Sarvo. Me @gadgetman.

We initially just got hold of the factory and suggested a few changes with a few wants/don't wants from other forum members. This meant that hunters got to buy a torch with the features they wanted, along with us. I've bought a few from them too. It is really good that the company listens to it's customers.

You will likely be getting the impression that the Olight is putting out more light because it is putting out a whiter light than the Maxtoch. The whiter light does tend to look a lot brighter because it reflects off everything in the atmosphere and the light tends to come back at you. The Maxtoch is de-domed at the factory which gives it a yellower hue which produces a less glarey beam, spooks animals less and seems to cut the atmosphere better. When you get a chance to test them side-by-side at a greater distance you will see it, particularly with animals.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    You @Sarvo. Me @gadgetman.

We initially just got hold of the factory and suggested a few changes with a few wants/don't wants from other forum members. This meant that hunters got to buy a torch with the features they wanted, along with us. I've bought a few from them too. It is really good that the company listens to it's customers.

You will likely be getting the impression that the Olight is putting out more light because it is putting out a whiter light than the Maxtoch. The whiter light does tend to look a lot brighter because it reflects off everything in the atmosphere and the light tends to come back at you. The Maxtoch is de-domed at the factory which gives it a yellower hue which produces a less glarey beam, spooks animals less and seems to cut the atmosphere better. When you get a chance to test them side-by-side at a greater distance you will see it, particularly with animals.
    I did wonder about the white/yellow scenario - as I said the wife saw a "brighter" light with the Olight.
    The price of the Maxtoch wins the debate - no question in my view.
    I will try them both again together on more open terrain too.
    So why are the Olight holding a higher price - even on the same online selling site?
    The price on that site I imagine be like all online sites when you use C Card or Paypal will sting you on conversion rate – so it would be about 135-140 on the Maxtoch with pouch and spare O rings.
    Good price.

I did wonder about the white/yellow scenario - as I said the wife saw a "brighter" light with the Olight.
    The price of the Maxtoch wins the debate - no question in my view.
    I will try them both again together on more open terrain too.
    So why are the Olight holding a higher price - even on the same online selling site?
    The price on that site I imagine be like all online sites when you use C Card or Paypal will sting you on conversion rate – so it would be about 135-140 on the Maxtoch with pouch and spare O rings.
    Good price.
    They don't sting a lot really from what I've found. The banks hit you harder. I use a debit card.

I think the Olight is a more established/recognised brand so set a higher price, but the Maxtoch is getting better known. They are getting a lot of orders now from Police, Search and Rescue and the likes. Led Lenser are on a whole new level of price and under performance.

That yellower light makes a huge difference.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

They don't sting a lot really from what I've found. The banks hit you harder. I use a debit card.

I think the Olight is a more established/recognised brand so set a higher price, but the Maxtoch is getting better known. They are getting a lot of orders now from Police, Search and Rescue and the likes. Led Lenser are on a whole new level of price and under performance.

That yellower light makes a huge difference.
    When you say "That yellower light makes a huge difference."
    In what way (obviosly for the better - but why ??

When you say "That yellower light makes a huge difference."
    In what way (obviosly for the better - but why ??
    It is nearer the red part of the spectrum which spooks animals less. It doesn't seem to reflect so much off moisture and dust particles in the air, and as a result seems to cut through the air better. The yellower colour is a result of the de-doming, but cannot be done to the LED in the Olight. With the XM-L and XM-L2 the de-doming also increases the intensity of the hot spot by about 110%.
    Danny likes this.

It is nearer the red part of the spectrum which spooks animals less. It doesn't seem to reflect so much off moisture and dust particles in the air, and as a result seems to cut through the air better. The yellower colour is a result of the de-doming, but cannot be done to the LED in the Olight. With the XM-L and XM-L2 the de-doming also increases the intensity of the hot spot by about 110%.
    That is interesting!!
    I was out with thermal last week - 4am - saw Deer at 3-400M in regen cutover crap - when I used the light - not 1 eye reflection.
    Not that I was going to shoot as it was to far and really in un-retrievable terrain (by oneself)
    There was however a very slight fog/mist (which I only noticed when turning on light)
    I will take both next time and test out.

Interesting points alright.
    So...Who can de-dome please now that this thread is over?
    We have two to do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Interesting points alright.
    So...Who can de-dome please now that this thread is over?
    We have two to do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That would probably be me.

That would probably be me.
    So, would you?
    Pm incoming if you can do...
    Thanks regardless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    me to
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    I used petrol to de-dome my torch, pretty easy and as far as I can see very low risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    I used petrol to de-dome my torch, pretty easy and as far as I can see very low risk.

Can you techno guru’s please explain what de-domed means