Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Meat Mincers

Minced some meat tonight. Put them in glad bags. They’ll be used up next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used snap lock bags. We go through thousands and the best I've found have been the 70 micron bags from officemax or some of the other suppliers have them. They are 230x305mm. I hold them up by the top corner and close 90% then squeeze against my chest to get the last bit of air out and close the last 10mm or so. Had chicken breasts last 2 years like that without getting freezer burn. Obviously vac bags could probably get more air out but more money and effort and it depends on how long you are planning on keeping the meat for.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HG Man View Post
    How do you guys package up the mince? Trays or tube bags? I'm wondering whether its better to just use poly bags rather than trays and glad wrap.
    I use the blue Butchers shop / fish packing commercial bags. Check weigh the mince into bags, shake and press down across the bottom of the bag, ( I fill at 700 grams ) then roll the bag with firm pressure to force out all air and fill all voids. Roll the bag and fix with a rubber band or stack the bags in one layer across a cardboard box with the opening of the bag turned to the underside. The mince keeps extremely well like this. Rolling is 100 x better than tying off and at least the equal or better than vac pac as there are no unfilled open areas.

I use the redneck sink full of water method as my poor man's vacuum packer! I mostly use it when I kill my roosters as without a vac packer it's nearly impossible to get all the air out of the bags due to the shape of a chook body. As for steak and mince, I just flatten it in a zip-loc bag and squeeze out the air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZPLF0ezw8
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Grinding

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Whole cows, holy moo paste Batman. Do they use flail knives. I would think spinning blades would get blunt pretty quick after going through a few cow femur bones. Sounds pretty messy.
    What grinder are you using??

iv looked at the the
    Hakka TC-22 Electric Meat Mincer
    https://zeropak.co.nz/zeropak-hakka-...c-meat-mincer/

and

TC22 EL ECO
    https://netropolitan.co.nz/shop/elec...legant-models/

not sure if any one knows if these would be any good for grinding chicken with bones? hard to find a good grinder in new zealand my one after 6years that i imported just broke it was the
    tasin ts-108 bloody good harty grinder but due to the importing stoppng with covid i cant get it or any replacement parts sent to new zealand

or does anyone know a good person to repare grinders in new zealand?

I rate the rural t12 mincer. Definitely goes well

not for every one but my mate and I used his brother in law's 3 phase mincer and man it minced most of a bull very quickly. not everyone has 3 phase power though. I have used a domestic mincer to do a couple of fallow but it takes much longer.

yes iv used 3 phase very quick indeed but also very expensive lol looking for something around the $1000 to do the job hopefully

is that the tc12 hakka one or the other one from netropolitan

I’ve had a small kenwood mincer for years which has worked great but have recently been using an Apuro heavy duty mincer. It’s definitely a big step up in performance and unfortunately price but I’d highly recommend it.
    https://www.nisbets.co.nz/apuro-heav...SABEgKZSvD_BwE

We use a single phase American mincer at work for carcass mincing. Can't remember the brand and not back to work till next week, but was about $3K so a bit much for home use unless you are doing a heap. I still have to run them through the bandsaw first or the mincer stalls out, ( actually even our big 3 phase mincer stalls on anything bigger than 40ish mm).

Quote Originally Posted by zoe2021 View Post
    What grinder are you using??

iv looked at the the
    Hakka TC-22 Electric Meat Mincer
    https://zeropak.co.nz/zeropak-hakka-...c-meat-mincer/

and

TC22 EL ECO
    https://netropolitan.co.nz/shop/elec...legant-models/

not sure if any one knows if these would be any good for grinding chicken with bones? hard to find a good grinder in new zealand my one after 6years that i imported just broke it was the
    tasin ts-108 bloody good harty grinder but due to the importing stoppng with covid i cant get it or any replacement parts sent to new zealand

or does anyone know a good person to repare grinders in new zealand?

Has anyone had success with the mincer attachment on the heavy duty Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer? The Kitchen Aid Pro I think it is, the one that does not have the head lift up to change beaters but the bowl goes up and down. Rated for professional dough kneading for baking.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Has anyone had success with the mincer attachment on the heavy duty Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer? The Kitchen Aid Pro I think it is, the one that does not have the head lift up to change beaters but the bowl goes up and down. Rated for professional dough kneading for baking.
    My workmate was telling me about his one today. He loves his one.

He puts a bowl and scales directly under the mincer and seals up the bags once they hit 500g.

He reckons it has plenty of grunt and never looks like it’s struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tui4Me View Post
    My workmate was telling me about his one today. He loves his one.

He puts a bowl and scales directly under the mincer and seals up the bags once they hit 500g.

He reckons it has plenty of grunt and never looks like it’s struggling.
    I have one but have only used it a couple of times for mincing in the kitchen. Have not processed a large qty but will be over the summer, I hope. It is a pretty grunty motor alright. The one Ive used most but again for small jobs is the old Kenwood with a mincer attachment. Those things are 40 or more years old and cheap to get hold of. They burn condensors out with age which costs about $120 to fix including a full service and electrical warranty. My wife wont use anything else in the kitchen so I am not inclined to thrash it. She hates the KitchenAid so went and got her the old Kenwood for about $80 at the time with all the attachments. An Estate sale.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...