Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Meat safe designs

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury

I also thought a cheap sleeping bag liner would work pretty well and pack down to nothing.

Banned
    Update on the 'old freezer system'. Since I last posted I have had one deer in the freezer / chiller shot last Saturday and cut up yesterday.
    Getting that initial chill down and the heat out of the areas around bone seems to be the key to a good result.
    Yesterday I put a lamb carcase in the freezer after the venny came out. With a delta track digital probe the meat was 11c at the bone when it went in and took five hours to pull down to 3c. The surface of the meat was starting to stiffen with the cold and the freezer had a layer of fluffy ice on the walls, yet the meat was still at 11c at the bone. I was surprised because it was not a great big lamb just a Pitt island. Once the lamb was cold I turned the freezer off. The meat temp increased only 1c overnight with the freezer off.
    I have a mate now putting venny in his home freezer until the internal temp is down and then hanging it in the garage overnight to dry off and following that into his beer fridge to age.

Moa hunter could you pop some pics up please sounds like a good idea.
    Thanks Sam

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsamdjt View Post
    Moa hunter could you pop some pics up please sounds like a good idea.
    Thanks Sam
    The photos are there in post 13 of this thread

Thanks mate yer just seen them.

Meat is one of the best insulators I've seen. Put 8 3kg chickens in 1 bag and into the freezer a few years back and when we got them out a few weeks later the middle ones had gone green. Not much fun bandsawing frozen rotten chickens we only put 4 in these days

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Update on the 'old freezer system'. Since I last posted I have had one deer in the freezer / chiller shot last Saturday and cut up yesterday.
    Getting that initial chill down and the heat out of the areas around bone seems to be the key to a good result.
    Yesterday I put a lamb carcase in the freezer after the venny came out. With a delta track digital probe the meat was 11c at the bone when it went in and took five hours to pull down to 3c. The surface of the meat was starting to stiffen with the cold and the freezer had a layer of fluffy ice on the walls, yet the meat was still at 11c at the bone. I was surprised because it was not a great big lamb just a Pitt island. Once the lamb was cold I turned the freezer off. The meat temp increased only 1c overnight with the freezer off.
    I have a mate now putting venny in his home freezer until the internal temp is down and then hanging it in the garage overnight to dry off and following that into his beer fridge to age.

Name:  IMG20210216171308.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  3.50 MB Here's my set up, killing house

Quote Originally Posted by Rangidan View Post
    Attachment 160626 Here's my set up, killing house
    Name:  IMG20210216171301.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  4.41 MB
    rugerman likes this.