Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By yeah_na_missed
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By LMcNab
  • 1 Post By gilly
  • 1 Post By gilly

Thread: Merino Nylon Blends

Merino Nylon Blends

Does anybody have much experience with the likes of "NuYarn" or "Combat Merino" or any of these other blend products? I love merino base layers, but I destroy them at a rate of about 5 to 1 when compared to synthetic alternatives. Do the blends last well enough to justify them over straight merino products? Do you lose any of the performance qualities that make merino so good? Cheers.

No experience with either. NZ Sock Co stuff is awesome, and don't forget the Icebreaker have a replacement thing where you take back knackered socks and they replace them. Never tried it myself, but I know people who have.

Could be worth a shot for $20... https://www.nzsock.co.nz/sale/merino...ion-sock/black

Or as per another recent thread, if you know anyone passing through Ashvegas, the seconds shop is fantastic.
    paremata likes this.
    bunji likes this.

I have some Kuiu tops made of Nu- yarn as well as one from cactus they aren't as hard wearing as synthetic ones they get torn pretty easy if worn as an outer.
    Not sure if they are worth the price they ask.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

I have some mountain warehouse merino blend stuff I got in the UK in 2018. It's lasted bloody well and I see they've opened stores here now. Might be worth looking up.
    Mangle likes this.

I have had one of these for a long time and it has worn well.
    So I say the synthetic mix does work.
    Still comfortable against the skin etc.
    https://www.macpac.co.nz/macpac-mens...CLEARANCE.html

Ive had a heap of the nuyarn from all the brands..

The best ive had is from from the ski brand, TREW.. there stuff for me had outlasted, kuiu, first lite and cactus..
    I def thinks its better than normal merino, but as others have mentioned its still not super tuff by anymeans..

So after speaking to some Merino farming friends of mine, I have ordered some stuff at their reccomendation from an outfit called True Fleece. My friends said they are using the right strength, length and consistency of wool to produce durable yarn and therefore clothing. It was their opinion that alot of other companies are including stuff in their mixs which weakens the end result. They had a bunch of tech speak I cant remember well enough to pass on Im afraid. I was expecting to have to take a deep breath to buy their stuff but was plesently surprised by their pricing. I will report back periodically with how it holds up.

I also have some macpac blends, and Bushbuck combat merino coming, so will compare them all over time. I would have loved to have some Kuiu etc in the mix but I have reached the limits of my dutch heritages appetite for spending for now!
    Moa Hunter likes this.

https://www.smartwool.co.nz/pages/merino-apparel

I like their stuff. In my opinion and from my experience better than the well know hunting brand stuff.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LMcNab View Post
    So after speaking to some Merino farming friends of mine, I have ordered some stuff at their reccomendation from an outfit called True Fleece. My friends said they are using the right strength, length and consistency of wool to produce durable yarn and therefore clothing. It was their opinion that alot of other companies are including stuff in their mixs which weakens the end result. They had a bunch of tech speak I cant remember well enough to pass on Im afraid. I was expecting to have to take a deep breath to buy their stuff but was plesently surprised by their pricing. I will report back periodically with how it holds up.

I also have some macpac blends, and Bushbuck combat merino coming, so will compare them all over time. I would have loved to have some Kuiu etc in the mix but I have reached the limits of my dutch heritages appetite for spending for now!
    Using the wrong washing powder can bugger wool quick, but having said that even looked after, the Farmlands MKM are nowhere as durable as the 'Trevs Mate' ones we used to get from PGG

Quote Originally Posted by gilly View Post
    https://www.smartwool.co.nz/pages/merino-apparel

I like their stuff. In my opinion and from my experience better than the well know hunting brand stuff.
    Its not always NZ merino, could be from Aussie or South America ... yeah, nah. Its like Kathmandu merino, they cant tell you where the merino comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    Its not always NZ merino, could be from Aussie or South America ... yeah, nah. Its like Kathmandu merino, they cant tell you where the merino comes from.
    Don’t think that was the OP’s original question.
    Maybe my answer wasn’t aligned to it either.
    All I’m saying is from my experience this stuff is better than the brand hunting stuff.
    I don’t care what sheep it came from and where the sheep lived. Does it keep me warm when it needs to, does it keep me cool when it needs to, does it fit well no matter how many times I wash it and it is robust? Ticks all the boxes for me.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Would be great to hear how the combat merino stuff holds up. Was in their Chch store looking at it a few weeks ago and was nearly tempted after talking to the Bushbuck crew. I had commented on wanting a base layer/long johns with reinforced knees so they didn't blow out so often. They pointed to their combat merino long johns which have reinforced/two layers of fabric over knee area and heavier grade nylon woven in. Still pretty pricey if they are going to blow apart though.