Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: MSR Windburner

Mine doesn't appear to use any more than my mates jet boil, might have to test that theory ?
    Even still I could buy a lot more canisters for the difference in price

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    My little homemade meths cooker, from an immigrant beer can. Will support and boil a 2 liter billy if needed, just a matter of measuring the right amount of fuel.Attachment 95329
    Sorry not really related to the original op
    @257weatherby could you show a step by step way of making that please.
    Cheers
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Sorry not really related to the original op
    @257weatherby could you show a step by step way of making that please.
    Cheers
    Can do, but check out you tube for homemade meths cookers, tons of different ways to make them, fun wee projects, will drop you a line tomorrow night if you want.
    Sideshow likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    ...check out you tube for homemade meths cookers...
    Hmmm, I wonder what other sort of meth cooking vids would turn up on that search?!? And would the police then turn up on your doorstep?

I went a slightly different route, got a folding firebox, uses wood, but also fits a meths trangia burner inside if in huts, find one pine one seems to produce enough heat to boil water for a cup of tea, Not sure if it would be any good in the snow - but everywhere else from the beach to the scrub seems to work and there is always plenty of wood around...

Jit
    I use a Jetboil pot with the adaptor ring removed so I get the benifit of the conductive fins on the bottom whcih cocidentially lock into the stove, a titanium lid, and 60grm titanium stove. All in INCLUDING the gas fits inside the pot 213Grms. For wind Ipicked up a Mac pack tinfoil sheild for $9.
    A bit a work to sort out but less than hafl the weight of a Jet boil or only 1/3 wright of the MSR.
    veitnamcam and csmiffy like this.

Jit
    Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    I use a Jetboil pot with the adaptor ring removed so I get the benifit of the conductive fins on the bottom whcih cocidentially lock into the stove, a titanium lid, and 60grm titanium stove. All in INCLUDING the gas fits inside the pot 213Grms. For wind Ipicked up a Mac pack tinfoil sheild for $9.
    A bit a work to sort out but less than hafl the weight of a Jet boil or only 1/3 wright of the MSR.
    257weatherby, Feebz and csmiffy like this.

I think you could be on to something there. I have the same little stove but use a billy and also a pie dish as a frypan/plate. I use these on a fire too if it suits to light one. I find the jet boil concept a bit gadgety and too heavy for just a water boiler.

Have you considered the MSR Reactor.

there is one of those units that will ONLY heat up the vessel provided with it or it suffers meltdown...... not 100% sure which one it is ,check it out BEFORE buying.

Re Jetboil and Windburner, no comparison in anything more than a 5kph breeze. Windburner will win easily.

Primary air, pressure regulator and radiant heat are the main technical differences.

You can improve boil times with standard stoves using finned pots as Jit has above, but any air movement (wind)between burner head and pot will leach heat regardless.

So what became of all thisnI hear you ask? Well, I ended up going a different route and bought the Primus ETA Lite. One of the main things that annoyed me about Windburners and Jetboils was the inability to use a frypan or different pot etc without forking out silly money for a MSR or Jetboil specific accessory. The primus comes with three little studs (you can see them screwed into a holder on the handle) that screw into the top of the burner and allow you to use it with whatever you want, so that was a major tick for me, its also lighter than both the jetboil and the msr and from reviews seems to perform about in the middle of the three. Weighs less than both others also

Name:  20180921_080910.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  2.36 MB
    Name:  20180921_081249.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  2.06 MB
    veitnamcam, tikka, Scouser and 4 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Nice. That's a great idea.

Is the heat controllable, ie can you simmer with the primus?

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    Is the heat controllable, ie can you simmer with the primus?
    Yeap
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.