Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: No longer a MacPac fanboy...hello Cactus

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    It was their top of the line alpine jacket, $599...
    $600 20 years ago? Hell. It must have been top of the line. What model is it? I worked in sports retail about then and the dearest Fairydown (Macpacs closest competitor) Goretex jackets were no where near that.
    Even so, 20 years is a long time in technical clothing terms and $30 per year ain't bad.
    As I said, Macpac should have cut you a deal on a new one but didn't. They have lost a customer because of it but seriously, having a Goretex jacket fail after 20 years isn't going to put me off a brand. In fact, if they could guarantee 20 years I'd be rapt.
    Timmay and JasonW like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Hmm, my leather jacket is 30 years old this year and still going strong...
    Bet your leather jacket isn't waterproof though.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I'd happily pay $600 for an alpine coat that would last 20 years.Are you Scottish?
    Timmay, Shearer and JasonW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    I'd happily pay $600 for an alpine coat that would last 20 years.Are you Scottish?
    Born and bred in Christchurch, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Bet your leather jacket isn't waterproof though.
    Actually it ain't bad, keeps rain off when I'm on the motorbike, I do rub an oil/ wax stuff into it fairly regularly but.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    As much as I love Cactus gear I don't think they have the range or experience in rainwear. The only weatherproof coat they have is over 1kg in weight.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    $600 20 years ago? Hell. It must have been top of the line. What model is it? I worked in sports retail about then and the dearest Fairydown (Macpacs closest competitor) Goretex jackets were no where near that.
    My first alpine shell was a Fairydown goretex one about 15 years ago, from memory I paid about that much but full sticker price was $800! I still have it but its not as waterproof as it once was so I updated and relegated it to casual use.

20 years is a very impressive lifespan for a goretex jacket anyway, I wouldn't complain about that. Technology has moved on though, many new alpine shells will be about half the weight.
    Danny and JasonW like this.

No longer a MacPac fanboy...hello Cactus

20 years ago I could have bought a Holden HT hunting ute for $600 and I'd be surprised if it was still going strong today.
    223nut and JasonW like this.
    Dan M

I've happy wih 20years out of any gear depending on how much it's been used.

Surprised they didn't have a go at fixing it, or at least offer you a decent discount on a replacement, can't see them doing it for free but why couldn't they just cut 40% off a new one??

Got a macpac sleeping bag that is only 4years old and needs the main zip replacing... Will see how that goes this winter when I take it in

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    ...can't see them doing it for free but why couldn't they just cut 40% off a new one??
    They do that with a sale every couple of months anyway!

20 yr gortex??
    I had 3 gortex jackets thru the last half of the eighties, all leaked like a sieve.
    I know they went thru several generations of them, I had two. Helly Hansen and a couple of canadian/US ones. Total waste of money and this was walking round town, didn't dare take them into the woods with me.
    Boots the same experience so have stuck with proven leather and grease/dubbin.
    Best experience was coming back to nz and trying a 'Wilderness' brand (nz) Reflex jacket in 1990 and now its starting to weep at the seams.

You should frame that thing!

I'll never touch goretex again without some real assurances no matter who makes it.

I'd just get out the silicon sealer and do a DIY job on the seams just like a tent fly. Will make bugger all difference to overall breathabilty o f the jacket.

I wouldn't complain about 20 years service from it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

well, after airing my grump in public, I wondered if the Reflex is renamed Goretex. Can't find anything about Reflex fabric online however.
    Sooo, how is peoples take on modern Goretex nearly 30yrs ??? later than my tragic experiences with the stuff......

Old goretex and new goretex are different beasts. Something to do with the not being allowed to use the same materials as in the past for environmental reasons. Or something like that. Durability has difference as a result.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

20 years is about 5x as long as I'd expect a technical jacket to last