Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: No longer a MacPac fanboy...hello Cactus

Quote Originally Posted by Awaian View Post
    well, after airing my grump in public, I wondered if the Reflex is renamed Goretex. Can't find anything about Reflex fabric online however.
    Sooo, how is peoples take on modern Goretex nearly 30yrs ??? later than my tragic experiences with the stuff......
    There are a lot of different waterproof/breathable fabrics around now, Goretex still has the best known name but not the monopoly or clear performance advantage it once had.

My current shell is an Outdoor Research one with Pertex Shield+ fabric and so far it has been just as good as my old Fairydown Goretex one, at around half the weight (440g).

Posted 1/4/17, got to be an April Fools Joke doesn't it!?
    FFS I shot my barrel out in a year, doesn't matter that it took 5000 rounds, it should have lasted 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!
    Biggun708 and JasonW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflite View Post
    Posted 1/4/17, got to be an April Fools Joke doesn't it!?
    FFS I shot my barrel out in a year, doesn't matter that it took 5000 rounds, it should have lasted 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!
    The only joke was the service I got...still have not sent it back, once they do I'm going to have a go at patching it myself.

Reflex was a different stuff, similar but aimed at repelling water more than breathable, still worked, Wilderness was what macpac used to call threir clothing line, then they decided that two seperate brand names doubled their advertising cost so amalgamated under one name.

Looking at Arc'teryx stuff, looks good but pricey, anyone use dry as a bone?
    As an aside I dug out an old German army poncho yesterday, some sort of rubber, rather heavy but packs down to a respectable size, has domes and grommets for turning into a tarp, well that thing was the bees knees, bloody long too, kept me very dry in that downpour we had here, not at all breathable but with the sides being domed heat could escape, although prob not as well as pit zips in a new goretex.

Ahh, thanks for that Shelly.
    I remembered there was some kind of connection with Macpac but not what, it was when all these brands were getting going.
    Has been a very good jacket and worked at repelling and breathing.
    Early Goretex had a lot of failures but not usually the fabric, eventually Goretex insisted on approving the designs (seam taping & placement etc) before allowing their use by brands.
    Mine is now aged (like me) and needing replacement. It never got alot of hard bush use but I stiil feel I've had my money's worth after buying it in 1990.