Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Noise canceling headphones

Noise canceling headphones

Hi guys. Doing some medium/longish air travel at the end of the month. Looking at getting some noise canceling head phones for the flight. Any suggestions? Also I see the Peltor sportac earmuffs have an aux input so apart from looking like a dick, is there any reason you couldn't rock them on a plane? (Looking at getting them anyway for duck shooting)

I'm a sound guy so I'm sure I can help you out!

First off, headphones or earphones? (Headphones look like earmuffs and usually cover your ears) while earphones are the little speakers in your ears.

Secondly, What is your budget?

And importance of noise canceling? I would recommend against noise canceling IMO. To sum it up, It ruins sound quality all the while being more expensive too! And u can always turn up the volume to block everything else out
    Tuckerbox likes this.
    By law, you are required to turn on your headlights if it's raining in Sweden.

How the hell am I supposed to know if it's raining in Sweden?

I've had a pair of the Bose quiet comforts 25s for almost 12 months, I wish I had bought them 10 years ago.
    Do your homework on comparing a wireless bluetooth set also.
    They make air travel much more tolerable and I'm surprised how much I use them outside of travelling for work.
    R93 and Tuckerbox like this.

Bose QC25 (Wired) or the new Bluetooth QC35. They are expensive but you will be able to zone out and sleep. As for using noise cancelling earmuffs with AUX - they will amplify all the noise in the cabin! Not a good thing aye.

I haven't used noise cancelling ones, but a good set of over-ear headphones can give excellent noise isolation without needing active noise cancelling. I have a set of these which sound very nice and isolate well enough that I wear them mowing the lawns:

Onkyo ES-HF300(S) | Headphones | Avalon Audio Online

LOC
    had the bose QC15's on ear headphones for a number of years and they are brilliant. small, super battery and great noise cancelling.
    now have the QC35 bluetooth over ears and they are a real step up again. no cords to contend with but my ears and head get sweaty. bloody expensive for something i only use on a plane...
    do a lot of overseas travel for work and i would struggle to fly a long trip without them now. if you can find a pair of qc15 or 25 at a reasonable price i'd go with them over the other brands as reviews can be mixed

My bose over ear ones are a prized possession and I would hate to travel without them now. I have used them in commercial flights and in C130 as well as communal sleeping areas etc. They cut so much of the noise out it is unreal. You might cringe paying $400 odd for em but you will never look back. Single AA battery last for yonks and they still work as headphones if your battery runs out.

I can't recommend them enough.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

While killing time in a shopping Centre I tried some flash and really expensive Bose ones. Amazing, they fitted right over my ears and cancelled out all background noise. I couldn't justify the $ but got some Sony headphones. Not as good but a fifth of the price and did the job, well worth it. If you like nice gear and can justify the cost get the bose.

Great for when the mrs watches coro, plus you can pretend you can't hear her during the ads.
    Tuckerbox likes this.

Thanks for all the reply's guys. Yes the qc35 look awesome. But so is the price. Alternative question, do I just pop in foam earplugs when I want to sleep and get my rifle rebarreled instead? Decisions decisions.

I was glad I had my head phones. The airline earphones or head phones are crap. Had to fight the kids off to keep mine. Bose are good but there are cheaper options. Not as good but not bad.

ANR is only really worth it if you're travelling regularly, can't say its money well spent otherwise. Re-reading your original post I get the impression it might be a one off trip.
    Any pair of even cheap plug in earphones will be superior to the airline ones and do a pretty good job of attenuating the engine noise. Not as comfortable as head phones though for long periods.
    Most newer planes accept a single 3.5mm male plug, but you sometimes need the double adapter depending on the carrier.
    Tuckerbox likes this.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    I travel a lot - I use the Bose Q25
    Wise I had used them years ago -

Cuts out so much of the background rumble
    Plus voices are almost gone - attendants have to get my attention

Pricy yes but compare it to premium economy etc they are cheap and allow me to sleep

there's a couple of bose head sets on tm at a not bad price.
    I just scored a set of qc3 of here and love them!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Ejected
    I brought some Sony MDR-ZX770DC from amazon via the amazon warehouse open box deals and have been happy with them. Bluetooth and active noise cancelling. They were under $100 landed including the reshipping fees. I wear them at work to drown out my coworkers and the roar of the server room.

I really wanted some Sony MDR-1000X but then the headphones would have cost more than my phone...
    Tuckerbox likes this.