Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Overnight Hunting Kit - Basic list

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    some of my kit will be lighter than Nathans, my pack weighs 1kg for example, But I always mentally struggle to limit the clothing I carry- I always take too much and find some doesn't get used.
    same - so now spare clothing for overnight - just undies a thermal singlet and one light thermal top thats it - my theory is have some dry inner garments to sleep in - stick on wet outer next day to hunt and come out

How much water do you carry? I seam to drink water like a fish when tramping particularly when going up hill!
    paremata likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Billbob View Post
    How much water do you carry? I seam to drink water like a fish when tramping particularly when going up hill!
    Bugger all. It’s dead weight. I carry a small Powerade bottle as I’ve mentioned. It’s rarely ever fuller than half. I drink a lot of water but when it’s there in front of me. Streams etc. always camp next to water.

I'm very similar in gear & weight for a night or 2 fly camping I don't take spear clothing or foot wear I just roll with me hunting cilt wich has 3 tops push puffer & rain coat & I don't sleep in clothes as I get to hot in my sleeping bag

Wow this is comprehensive! Cheers mate this stuff super valuable to a beginner like me with no knowledge whatsoever.
    Nathan F and blip like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shippo View Post
    Wow this is comprehensive! Cheers mate this stuff super valuable to a beginner like me with no knowledge whatsoever.
    yeah some have gone the extra mile here - and I am pleased to see all sensible stuff - man I remember starting out as a 16 year old and taking 40 rounds of 308 into Te Urewera shot two deer so really about 10-12 would have been more than enough lol - had young visions of mobs coming over the hill soon lost that reality set in -
    Nathan F likes this.

Great detail Nathan.

Here's a pick of my general kit I took recently. Pretty happy with this setup, no rifle, food or clothing I wear but that's changeable depending on circumstance.

Name:  20231211_150235.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  953.1 KB

Sleeping gear - sleeping bag, ground sheet, sleeping mat, pillow, huntech bivy.

Cooking - Primus eta lite stove, cup, spoon, water bladder. (Don't carry water unless I have to)

Clothing - puffer jacket, beanie, spare thermals, socks and jocks. Jacket varies depending on weather and time of year.

Other kit- Power bank, pillow cases, big plastic bags x2, pack cover, torch, gps, binos and range finder.

Pouch 1 - Knife, stone, lighter, spare battery, ammo, bore snake, compass, tp, length of paracord and micro head torch.

Pouch 2 - PLB, hunting and dog permits, first aid gear, bandage, dressings, tape, plasters, painkillers, Antihistamines. Emergency TP.

Pack - Either Cactus huntaway or Kuiu LT4000

I wrestle with what should be in the first aid kit... I agree we often carry too much in them, but I have this plan for the worst and hope you never need it mentality drilled into me. Having said that, I also remember what I was taught about self defence as a kid - the best self defence is to not be there. Ergo, the best first aid is to be ever mindful of what you're up to...

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "O Great Guru what projectile should I use in my .308?" To which the guru replied, "It doesn't matter."
    -Grandpamac

With first aid kit I probably should have more but then are you actually going to know how to use all the stuff in there when you need to I know I have done first aid courses but not sure if I'd know what to to in time off need when you're not using it every day
    Puffin likes this.

I remember going on my first camp when I was in the ATC.... I was about 14 and mum decided what I needed I ended up carrying a heavy kidney buster pack that was so full I had to strap the old and massive kapok sleeping bag on the outside and of course she insisted I needed a pillow... Which was carried under my arm. Also; our rations were canned Irish stew and beef casserole. Different labels was about the only diffeence in flavour Also canned cheese and fruit etc.

"Only" had about a 3 hour walk into the Matemateonga Ranges. I was young and fit, but it bloody near killed me! I'm not sure what boots I used, but guessed they were borrowed and shit! Because I couldn't afford boots until I began working in 1979. Let's just say that on the next camp I made the "what I'm taking camping" decisions. Probably the biggest buzz on that camp was finding where the Territorials or NZ Army had done a training excercise and the bullet ridden "charging soldier" targets were still hanging up and the spent casings were everywhere... That would have been about 1977
    Micky Duck and paremata like this.

I found that weighing each individual item was helpful. Depends on the trip as to how much of the gear I take
    Name:  IMG_4405.jpeg
Views: 466
Size:  315.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_4407.jpeg
Views: 468
Size:  299.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_4406.jpeg
Views: 471
Size:  403.9 KB

What is the torre ascent?

@erniec they are both Macpac packs. I didn’t put the weight of the ascent in because I haven’t been using it lately. The Torre carries the weight so much better.
    erniec likes this.

Nice Nathan, mines similar, I find a list helps and use it to cull out stuff you didn’t use after a trip.

if your comfortable being a bit uncomfortable you can cut leave a lot behind, I used to take to many clothes now I’m the other way, what I’m wearing plus a spare base layer set, Sox’s, a top and puffer

re First Aid, antihistamines are a must (bloody wasps in Canterbury) something for a cut if your careless with the knife and some Panadol, voltaren, etc to take the edge off if you’ve arsed over or pulled a muscle, anything more serious and that’s what the beacon is for.
    Nathan F, Tahr, crewe2 and 5 others like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

I have been using the lighterpack site to organise my gear and weigh it all out, make lists for a particular hunt etc then print off and check it as I start packing. I do own an excessive amount of shit though as I came back from the states loaded on gear