Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By stagstalker
  • 2 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By hunt08
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Overtrousers/waterproof pants recommendations?

MB

Overtrousers/waterproof pants recommendations?

I normally wear shorts when hunting, leggings underneath if it's really cold, but a recent experience of glassing in hail and freezing rain has made me think I need to add a waterproof layer. Already have some GoreTex military overtrousers. They are good, but noisy moving through the bush.

Looking for something that is waterproof, breathable, quiet and reasonably durable (but don't have to be super tough).

Any recommendations?

Hunters Element Obsidian Trousers. Very light and packable. Comfortable to wear with good range of motion (I normally hate having multiple layers on my legs but these are good for me). Surprisingly not very noisy. Just finished a trip in Fiordland where I had mine, great.
    MB likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Hunters Element Obsidian Trousers. Very light and packable. Comfortable to wear with good range of motion (I normally hate having multiple layers on my legs but these are good for me). Surprisingly not very noisy. Just finished a trip in Fiordland where I had mine, great.
    Thanks, I have an aversion to Hunters Element gear as I rarely hear a good word about them on this forum, but will take a look.
    Micky Duck and stagstalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Thanks, I have an aversion to Hunters Element gear as I rarely hear a good word about them on this forum, but will take a look.
    Old stuff was poor, new stuff much better and I like their eco friendly business model.
    MB likes this.

Stoney Creek Dream Bull - waterproof, light, breathable .... only downside = not super quiet, but not too noisy either. If you got some $$ to throw around look at the FirstLite offering too
    MB likes this.

If got a hunters element rain coat that I use all the time for work it done over 12 months & it's the driest iv stayed fencing in the rain & iv got one off there packs & it's been realy good
    MB likes this.

Ive got a set of heavy canvas chaps from NZ Hunting products...they aimed at pighunters/farmers.....didnt intend to own them...but do now.
    have worn them for day on hill chasing wallabies and the matagouri doesnt touch me....great when its pissing with rain as keeps legs dry and being chaps,my crutch still free n breezy and able to move legs as they dont bind up like trousers do.
    if you wear gaiters UNDER fleece trousers 99% of water will go down outside of your boots,that system works well for me and fleece sure is good on a cold day.its also dead quiet when bush stalking and stops legs getting scratched up.
    MB likes this.