Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Packs with a rifle pocket?

R93
    Yeah, I seen that, thanks Scott. I was wanting a closer look if possible.
    PerazziSC3 likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

got a eberlestock gunslinger, great pack, nice and cofy and has the rifle secured right up against your back keeping the weight nice and central.

Ren
    The Vorn packs also has the rifle secured up against your back, the optics go in first where they are well protected, the weight is well distributed and no imbalance results. With a Gunslinger the rifle must be drawn out the top of the pack whereas the Vorn patented system that allows you to take the rifle from the side.

the amount of things my rifle gets caught up in while its slung over my shoulder makes me think that something will catch the barrel and cause the rifle to quick release, from using it has that happened rockman?

im sure someone selling it would say no without thinking Ren (no offence) but im wary of salesmans reccomendations
    338 and Ren like this.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    the amount of things my rifle gets caught up in while its slung over my shoulder makes me think that something will catch the barrel and cause the rifle to quick release, from using it has that happened rockman?

im sure someone selling it would say no without thinking Ren (no offence) but im wary of salesmans reccomendations
    It looked pretty good to me, thinking quite seriously about ordering one. One monkey scrub bashing session on the West Coast after Tahr will highlight any weakness...
    Bill999 and Ren like this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

R93
    I have the same pack as Konev. I catch the rifle on things all the time. The pocket also fills up with scrub and shit so you need to tape the muzzle to prevent stuff getting stuck up your barrel. Especially after you have fired it. I nearly always forget.
    I can whip the rifle out fast enough if needed but I doubt as fast as the one discussed.
    However it seems a large price tag just to access the rifle quickly.
    Dead is better likes this.

Name:  DSC_6184.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  1.07 MB

Eberlestock,it is a good day pack plenty of room and well made.

Cheers Rob

R93
    Has yours got a zip at the bottom of the scabbard to let crap out Rob?

No R93, but having a look at it it would be easy to get one put in. It isn't to bad with the issue with crap getting in. it might be cause my legs are short?????

Cheers Rob

R93
    A mate has the bigger pack with a zip but I cant remember if he had it done or it come with it as standard. I will see about getting one. You do get a lot of leaf litter and crap down them, crawling thru our bush. I would hate to think what could find their way into them here in OZ.
    graham99 likes this.

The one thing I would look at is a pack that makes carrying a head out a little more user friendly, my thoughts are something with a semi ridged frame.

Cheers Rob

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    A mate has the bigger pack with a zip but I cant remember if he had it done or it come with it as standard. I will see about getting one. You do get a lot of leaf litter and crap down them, crawling thru our bush. I would hate to think what could find their way into them here in OZ.
    Mine (J34) has a zip in scabbard. Gets full of crap in The scrub. Taping muzzle is a must...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    My only other thought about the Vorn QRR is can you re-stow the rifle without taking the pack off? Possibly not...
    Ren likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

gi guys just managed to get back to forum. I have been reading some of the last posts so ill try and answer some of the questions. If someone can tell me how to post some picks on a forum ill give it a go.
    As I also have the eberlestock dragon fly I'm well used to the scabbard getting full of rubbish. The Vorn has the rifle the other way around barrel up. That means its never a problem as the stock is held by a strap which lets any rubbish to fall past. It is very easy to roll your shoulder to move through very thick bush. The elberstock is just to slow to use on fast running shots, with the vorn I can pull off fast shots on wallaby's jumping out in front of me. Probably just over one second from pack to shoulder. That means you have to get used to not having to carry your rifle most of the time. After 30 years holing my rifle Takes some getting used.
    I now just hold my two walking sticks which is really helping me climb much faster when im tahr hunting.
    Ren likes this.

Yes no problem, just unclip waist belt and let on shoulder strap drop then bring rifle barrel into holder. took a little practise but im now stowing it away in about twenty seconds.
    Hopefully I'm taking the pack off and looking for my knife :]
    Ren likes this.