Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Packs with a rifle pocket?

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    I have slightly different take on things. For anything that is not a day walk, I take a BIG pack (70-90lt) Fill it half way, use compression straps to make it smaller. This way you don't end up with 3,4 or more packs, and you have lots of room to carry out meat...
    I have to agree, that's why I went with the dragonfly pack. Can squeeze it right down or blow it out big.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    The big pack while it can be used for overnighters with room to spare always gets something(usually lots of things) not required in it.
    Very true. Compress it before you even start packing and it fills up quick and stops too much excess shit going in. Thats how I trick myself. But then I'm stupid and fall for simple ploys.
    veitnamcam, ebf, 308 and 1 others like this.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    Has anyone owned a Vorn and an Eberlestock? Or compared both in a head to head? Thoughts on one vs the other?

I'm in the market for a decent sized pack. Nothing huge but able to fit tent, sleeping bag, ammo, torches, rifle, binos, couple days food, etc. What sort of litre-age would people recommend for a pack able to fit all that for a 2-3 day trip?
    I have a vorn (42l ?) & eberlestock j34. Vorn is considerably lighter & makes better use of its 42l space compared to the j34 when it's that size (it expands out to 70ish litres). Both are very comfortable to wear, the j34 has a far more adjustable harness though. Rifle holding setup is quite different, I do like that the barrel faces up with the vorn as it lowers the COG a lot, especially if you are carrying a long heavy rifle. I also used to get a scope turret to the back of the head often when boulder hopping (upstream normally) with a long gun in the j34. The open style of the scabbard on the vorn is better in scrub etc as the j34 scabbard fills up with leaves & shit. Flipside is that it offers better protection for the rifle though. Both are a good size for a few days, the bonus of the j34 is that it expands out to a bigger pack which is handy if you want to carry out an animal/head/skin etc..

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, graham99, R93 and 1 others like this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Yeah it's amazing even the crap I cram in to my day pack. It's tiny as and yet I fit gloves, face sock, beanie, binos, range finder, torch, headlamp, duct tape, bipod, ammo, water, food.

God knows what i'd manage to pack into a 60-70l without employing similar tricks, nibblet!

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    I also used to get a scope turret to the back of the head often when boulder hopping (upstream normally) with a long gun in the j34.

It must be Farkin long my recoil pad is well below my head and scope is buried in the pack!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

It must be Farkin long my recoil pad is well below my head and scope is buried in the pack!
    Approximately 58" long... :rolleyes: big turrets on those Premier scopes too... Not a problem with "normal" size rifles...

veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    I have a vorn (42l ?) & eberlestock j34. Vorn is considerably lighter & makes better use of its 42l space compared to the j34 when it's that size (it expands out to 70ish litres). Both are very comfortable to wear, the j34 has a far more adjustable harness though. Rifle holding setup is quite different, I do like that the barrel faces up with the vorn as it lowers the COG a lot, especially if you are carrying a long heavy rifle. I also used to get a scope turret to the back of the head often when boulder hopping (upstream normally) with a long gun in the j34. The open style of the scabbard on the vorn is better in scrub etc as the j34 scabbard fills up with leaves & shit. Flipside is that it offers better protection for the rifle though. Both are a good size for a few days, the bonus of the j34 is that it expands out to a bigger pack which is handy if you want to carry out an animal/head/skin etc..

Hi Claw - what's the quality like on the Vorn compared to the Eberlestock? Is one tougher than the other do you reckon?

Hi Claw - what's the quality like on the Vorn compared to the Eberlestock? Is one tougher than the other do you reckon?
    Reasonably similar I would say... Eberlestock uses a 2 layer fabric which has worn through/ripped the outer layer on mine in places and I have pulled out a strap loop as well. It's had a reasonably hard life as my main tahr hunting pack on the West Coast. The vorn seems well made, good fabric and simple main pack design. Mine has a squeak in the harness which pisses me off (i need to get to the bottom of it) but otherwise it's good. Haven't had it long so can't comment on long term durability, but it has survived a West Coast tahr hunt which is more than I can say for some purchases...

Thanks very much for the info. The J34 and J107 (Dragonfly) can only stow rifles barrel down, correct?

And now for the big question! If I was going to only buy one pack, and use it from day trips up to 3-4 days - what would you recommend? Tossing up between the J34, J107 and the Vorn 42L.

Thanks very much for the info. The J34 and J107 (Dragonfly) can only stow rifles barrel down, correct?

And now for the big question! If I was going to only buy one pack, and
    use it from day trips up to 3-4 days - what would you recommend? Tossing up between the J34, J107 and the Vorn 42L.
    No idea on the j107 sorry. Yes, rifle down in the j34. For 3-4 days I would say the j34 for sure given the ability to expand the carrying capacity. For day trips and overnight I would pick the vorn

Ejected

And now for the big question! If I was going to only buy one pack, and use it from day trips up to 3-4 days - what would you recommend? Tossing up between the J34, J107 and the Vorn 42L.
    Depends on the rifle I guess. My 338 with big optics won't be 22 with 3-9 will. AR won't but can hide most of it barrel down.

Normal hunting rifle with usual scope would squeeze in? 22 Is on the left.

Name:  drag.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  174.7 KB
    Name:  draggg.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  153.9 KB

Thanks for those pics Nibblet. What's the total length of that AR?

My x-bolt 308 is about 42 inches long with a vx6 3-18x44 scope. Won't fit barrel up i'm guessing? Not a massive deal but would be nice to have the option of stowing it either way. Don't really understand why so many packs are designed for barrel down carry.

Probably so you can reach behind, pull it out and shoulder it quickly.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Probably so you can reach behind, pull it out and shoulder it quickly.
    Yep. I don't have one but I reckon it is so you can reach back and grab on to the right end of it for taking it out and sending off a shot.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

ebf
    35-40l for overnight-couple of nights.
    VC, do you have a photo or pack list of the gear you manage to get into a 40lt bag for overnighter ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute