Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Phones

Phones

Good topic for the rainy day what phones do you guys use?
    I've been a iPhone fan but drowned one today even in a life proof case, had a hole where the stupid thumb Id thing is.
    My job is inherently hard on phones.
    Found the service a bit marginal on the iPhone6 but otherwise liked it.
    So after ideas before I make another purchase what do you use and do you rate it?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BRADS; 23-09-2015 at 04:25 PM.

I had been using a Huawei P7 since last Xmas, and apart from A: no retailers stock aftermarket parts like cases. B: the back of phone is glass type surface so a bit slippy to hold, I found it yo be as good as the comparable Samsung .
    Unfortunately the slippy bit led to me dropping off the waiheke ferry in mid crossing. Happy enough with the brand that I replaced it with a different model.
    BRADS likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I have a Sony Xperia z3 and really like it. Fast processor, good screen, waterproof (rated for half an hour under 1.5m of water I think) so no worries about drowning it. I use a cheap rubber case for a bit of protection when I drop it on the floor.
    jakewire, gadgetman and BRADS like this.

iPhone bro, done my time with shit android crap.
    7mmsaum, JoshC, kokako and 6 others like this.

Other makers are putting out supposedly faster this, sharper that and bigger this, but until they make my life as easy as my iPhones do they arent going to get a look in.

I've tried them but they all suck compared to the user 'friendliness' of the apple gear.

YMMV
    Shelley likes this.

Actually, maybe the courier company have heard there is a rapist in Ongaonga and are afraid to go there?.........
    veitnamcam, Toby, BRADS and 1 others like this.

Ejected
    There are low spec Android phones running on old versions of Android and then they are high spec phones running a recent version. The two are worlds apart and the high spec phones running Kitkat or Lollipop are easier to use, better and cheaper than the latest iPhones.

Samsung is fine but I think you are limiting yourself if you only look at them when considering Android.

I have a LG G3 running Lollipop (5.0) and are very happy with it. It's not waterproof but it's survived many bush trips and duck hunting adventures.
    The Xperia Z series as mentioned above has very good hardware and is completely waterproof without a case.
    The Nexus 6 is fairly well priced, gets all the latest OS updates first (cos it's a nexus) and is water resistant. I plan to upgrade to this phone when the price drops a bit.
    A bloke at work just brought a Azus Zenphone and is very happy with it. There is a lower spec and a higher spec model (at about $300 and $500 respectivly). He brought the lower spec one and it beats my G4 in benchmarks.

When the iPhone came out it was revolutionary but that was 10 years ago and each brand has adopted the features of the other so the two are converging.

The latest iPhone 6 generation adopted the big phone thing without actually having a big screen. The iPhone 6 is about the same size as my LG G4 but it's a got a 1440p 5.5 screen vis the 720p 4.7 inch screen on the iPhone. The G4 also cost half the price.

I think you are limiting yourself if you just look at iPhones. With Android you can do more stuff like install a add blocker which edits the hosts file on your phone and blocks all the add networks. Boom! no more adds in web pages, e-mail or apps. Can't do that on iPhone.

Also embrace the big phone thing. Once you go big you won't go back.
    GravelBen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    Actually, maybe the courier company have heard there is a rapist in Ongaonga and are afraid to go there?.........
    That's harsh mate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MassiveAttack sums it up well.. If you only choose between iPhone and Samsung you are very limited. I bought a Sony Xperia Active (one of the first waterproof smartphones) in 2011 and it is still going strong, almost 5 years old!
    I think most of the negative feedback that Android gets is from the cheaper phones; Apple doesn't do cheaper phones, therefore doesn't get the same negative feedback as cheap Android phones. It is to be expected that a >$1000 phone should perform better and last longer than a <$200 phone, no matter what name it has on it.
    Wirehunt likes this.

I like my S5. Takes mean as photos and gets on the forum and txts algoods
    veitnamcam likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    There are low spec Android phones running on old versions of Android and then they are high spec phones running a recent version. The two are worlds apart and the high spec phones running Kitkat or Lollipop are easier to use, better and cheaper than the latest iPhones.

Samsung is fine but I think you are limiting yourself if you only look at them when considering Android.

I have a LG G3 running Lollipop (5.0) and are very happy with it. It's not waterproof but it's survived many bush trips and duck hunting adventures.
    The Xperia Z series as mentioned above has very good hardware and is completely waterproof without a case.
    The Nexus 6 is fairly well priced, gets all the latest OS updates first (cos it's a nexus) and is water resistant. I plan to upgrade to this phone when the price drops a bit.
    A bloke at work just brought a Azus Zenphone and is very happy with it. There is a lower spec and a higher spec model (at about $300 and $500 respectivly). He brought the lower spec one and it beats my G4 in benchmarks.

When the iPhone came out it was revolutionary but that was 10 years ago and each brand has adopted the features of the other so the two are converging.

The latest iPhone 6 generation adopted the big phone thing without actually having a big screen. The iPhone 6 is about the same size as my LG G4 but it's a got a 1440p 5.5 screen vis the 720p 4.7 inch screen on the iPhone. The G4 also cost half the price.

I think you are limiting yourself if you just look at iPhones. With Android you can do more stuff like install a add blocker which edits the hosts file on your phone and blocks all the add networks. Boom! no more adds in web pages, e-mail or apps. Can't do that on iPhone.

Also embrace the big phone thing. Once you go big you won't go back.
    +1

I get a lot of people asking me to get their iPhone to do something and it simply wont. It is smart technology dumbed down and does not have the options they need. Android is truly smart technology with plenty of apps out there and you can actually get at a lot more settings to make them more useful. Next round I'll go for a Sony Z series phone.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Fulla
    New phones seem to have better service. The iPhones iv seen including the 6 have stink coverage. They show a couple of bars but do nothing. Where my s5 is fine.like what was said I like the big screen of my phone. I don't even use a computer anymore just a ph.
    Toby and BRADS like this.

Ejected
    The other thing is that big phones have big batteries. I get a decent two day battery life from my G3.
    Last edited by MassiveAttack; 23-09-2015 at 07:03 PM.

I went for the 'compact' version of the Z3 instead of the bigger one and no regrets, 4.6" screen is big enough for everything I use it for and unlike some of the monster-size phones it fits in my pocket and I can use it with one hand.

northdude
    I'm a cheap arse with phones ive got a vodaphone prime and its great I'm pretty carefull with my stuff tho it does most of the stuff my computer does
    sparky1000 likes this.