Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Phones

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    To big for your little girly hands ae bro
    Haha na but if don't fit in my top pocket with my pager it's off no use to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Haha na but if don't fit in my top pocket with my pager it's off no use to me.

Fair enough.
    Pager for fire service I take it
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    +1 on the iphone. If you're running a macbook &/or ipad it just makes everything so easy and you'll never lose your photos/contacts/old messages etc.
    While your conclusion is valid the reasons for reaching it aren't. If you type your google account and password into your phone you get all your contacts/mail (gmail)/photos/photos (google photos) instantly from the cloud. Google basically invented cloud computing and Apple still haven't gotten to grips with it. If you log onto the web apps on your pc you have the same stuff or if you can install the desktop app if you choose. You can also run all these apps on a mac so owning a mac doesn't limit you to iOS.

The key difference between the two companies is google develop for all platforms (except windows phone). E.g. if you use imessage then you can't ever access that on a non iOS device. If you use google hangouts you can access that on a mac, pc, iPhone, Android pone or on a ZX81 with a web browser.

Choosing apple is a valid choice because they make very nice hardware but locking yourself into their closed ecosystem I personally think is a little limiting.
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    Fair enough.
    Pager for fire service I take it
    Yeah

Ejected
    Regarding phone size as I said earlier once you go big you won't go back. Reading text and typing which is what we mainly use phones for these days is much much better on a big screen particularly if you have old eyes. It's not really a phone any more, it's a tablet that (just) fits in your pocket.

This is a good app to compare sizes.

Visual Phone Size Comparison

Also Apple since the iPhone 6 don't make a compact model any more. The make normal sized models with smaller than average screens because they are all hung up on simmetery and physicaly home buttons.

Take the iPhone 6 vs the Xperia Z5 Compact. Keep in mind that both these phones have the same screen size.

Also the iPhone 6+ vs the LG G3. Both of these phones have the same screen size although the G3 has a higher res better quality screen.

Basically android has had longer to adapt to the large screen format and make phones that are as physically small as possible while having the largest screen possible. Abandoning the physical home button (which Samsung still hasn't done) was a huge step towards this as it removes the need to have space taken up with a physical button, the buttons dissapear when you don't need them (i.e. watching you tube) and the back button is down the bottom so you never have to reach up to the top of the large screen like you do with iOS.

LG also took the approach of moving the volume and power buttons to the back instead of of the sides which enabled them to slim it down even more. This seemed weird on the first day but now seems completely natural and all other phones seem weird.

You can't have evolution without having a lot of variation between models and a few evolutionary dead ends that go nowhere. This is the same as the PC vs the Mac in the 80s which the PC won hands down.

Im still not sold on big phones, wife has full size s4 its humongous !
    BRADS likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

res
    I'm also now iffy about big phones, have a iPhone 4s and a 6+ and now that I have replaced/upgraded my iPad to a MacBook Air I find that I do a lot less on my phone so have started carrying my 4s a lot more than my 6+ as I live in shorts and tshirt and it just fits in my pocket better.

When I did everything on my phone I thought the bigger phone was a godsend.

Counted up 13 apple products in use in my house, and never had any of the issues talked about by others (and I use Dropbox and Bluetooth every day) so my experience is it just works, cans say the same for any Google device I have owned or been given to use-ESP as I am in China a lot and Google and the Chinese govt just don't play nice together, maybe not a issue for most on this forum but really a big thing for me! Blackberry when I have to but Apple the rest of the time.

At the end of the day most people don't demand that much from there tech, I sometimes think that I would be nice if someone made a basic phone with a good screen as that would do everything most people I know need.

Fuck it, I'm going to put a new battery in my 4 year old iPhone 4s and I'll keep snorkelling with it in the lifeproof case
    Using Tapatalk

Big phones don't fit in your pocket! They're are bloody pain, lock my leg in in my Ford Ranger and when I bend down to tie my boot laces! They're a bloody joke. Shit all I do is make phone calls, check the forums, read my emails, read the paper,Facebook and vibes, text a few messages and receives a few MMS s, take a few videos and photos and use my hot spot to run my iPad I don't need this crap!
    BRADS and Beaker like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Im still not sold on big phones, wife has full size s4 its humongous !
    Get her drinking more Waikato!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    I'm also now iffy about big phones, have a iPhone 4s and a 6+ and now that I have replaced/upgraded my iPad to a MacBook Air I find that I do a lot less on my phone so have started carrying my 4s a lot more than my 6+ as I live in shorts and tshirt and it just fits in my pocket better.

When I did everything on my phone I thought the bigger phone was a godsend.

Counted up 13 apple products in use in my house, and never had any of the issues talked about by others (and I use Dropbox and Bluetooth every day) so my experience is it just works, cans say the same for any Google device I have owned or been given to use-ESP as I am in China a lot and Google and the Chinese govt just don't play nice together, maybe not a issue for most on this forum but really a big thing for me! Blackberry when I have to but Apple the rest of the time.

At the end of the day most people don't demand that much from there tech, I sometimes think that I would be nice if someone made a basic phone with a good screen as that would do everything most people I know need.

Fuck it, I'm going to put a new battery in my 4 year old iPhone 4s and I'll keep snorkelling with it in the lifeproof case
    Mrs bought s battery for her 4s for $14 and put it in herself. Can with all the tools i was chuffed for her ha ha

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Mrs bought s battery for her 4s for $14 and put it in herself. Can with all the tools i was chuffed for her ha ha
    My local store do it for $40ish but maybe I should look into doing it myself-I managed to fit a new home button to it myself a while back so as long as the instructions have pictures.....
    Using Tapatalk

My local store do it for $40ish but maybe I should look into doing it myself-I managed to fit a new home button to it myself a while back so as long as the instructions have pictures.....
    Plotting the exact same thing myself currently.. Aliexpress have the batteries with full install tool kits for next to nothing.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+...placement/7111
    res likes this.

Do it yourself bro. If you can post in here you are capable

Just asked her and she just googles how and followed a vid

Ive got an s5. Am very happy with it. Took it anorkling in rarotonga had no issues. Although the missus has the same phone and has had nothing but problems with it. All software related though.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ejected
    Buying a big phone comes down to the intended use. If you want to use it as a tablet to type and read text on then bigger is better. If you just want to send the odd text and make phone calls (which is very old fashioned) then sure you don't need a big one. Personally my use is the former not the latter.

My point would be that if you don't like big phones then you shouldn't buy an apple as they don't make a mini sized phone any more. They also waste most of the phone on non screen parts so a equilivent android will generally have a smaller size and\or a bigger screen.

Most of the "mini" model phones are very low spec. We use Galaxy S3 and S4 minis at work and they have shit battery life and are very slow. The only one I would reccomend is the compact version of the Xperia Z series as it (except the battery) has the same specs as the normal sized Xperia phones. The Nexus 5 also isn't bad and still gets OS updates being a Nexus.

Two new Nexus phones are about to come out. The Nexus 5X and the Nexus 6P. The 5X is the mini sized one for people who can't handle big phones and is made by LG. The 6P is made by Huawei and is a big phone for big blokes.

I do think you small phone phobia blokes need to man up a little. Skinnly asian girls in skin tight jeans seem to manage with huge phablets so you big blokes shouldn't have an issue!