Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: PLB EPIRB Distress Beacon - A few highly recommended MUST Do’s. To Be Repeated Again

March was the last time I emailed them and all was well then.
    Maybe phone them and find out what's happening
    406 Beacons Team
    Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) & Safety Services
    Maritime New Zealand
    Nō te rere moana Aotearoa
    T +64 4 577 8047 | F +64 4 5778041 | E 406Audit@maritimenz.govt.nz
    Last edited by rugerman; 22-07-2020 at 08:18 PM.
    Pengy likes this.

thanks @rugerman
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Only thing different is the capital "A" on the web adress
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Good spotting that might be it. Try again with a capital A

Edit; just had a look and it's a lower case a in my email client 406audit@maritimenz.govt.nz <406audit@maritimenz.govt.nz>
    Might be their email server on the fritz.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Good spotting that might be it. Try again with a capital A

Edit; just had a look and it's a lower case a in my email client 406audit@maritimenz.govt.nz <406audit@maritimenz.govt.nz>
    Might be their email server on the fritz.
    Same as mine then, will ring them tomorrow.
    Pengy likes this.
    CFD

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    I would also add : Get a small laminated card with instructions of how to activate the beacon and store it inside the beacon pouch. I store mine in a Hi-viz orange pouch labelled "PLB" on my bino harness. Anyone could activate my beacon following the instruction sheet if I am unconscious.
    Add a laminated photo of family and on the back put your name, phone number of your ICE person, names of wife, kids etc. It sure can help an injured persons motivation when they hear their name, when hear family names, see photo, etc. A small thing but it makes a difference
    Last edited by uk_exile; 23-07-2020 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling
    Pengy, CooeeBay, 223nut and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    Add a laminated photo of family and on the back put your name, phone number of your ICE person, names of wife, kids etc. It sure can help an injured persons motivation when they hear their name, when hear family names, see photo, etc. A small thing but it makes a difference
    That's a damn good idea!!

If you haven't yet registered your NZ Coded PLB, Maritime NZ have a new website to take all the info: https://beacons.org.nz

To kill off all the myth about the registration, the PLB is not a tracker and does not tell the big brother Govt where you are minute by minute in the high country!
    Before you head out...

Make sure your beacon is registered and that your details are kept up to date

Read the instruction manual and understand how to operate your beacon

Check the expiry date for the battery, which is shown on the beacon label

Ensure your beacon is stored correctly
    Dundee, Tikka7mm08, tetawa and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CooeeBay View Post

Check the expiry date for the battery, which is shown on the beacon label
    rather than starting a whole new thread i thought it was a good time to bring this one back as there will be lotsa hunters chomping at the bit to get out there.....
    anyways anyone know who sorts the battery out on the GME plb? mine expires in january

in the hauraki/coromandel area
    CooeeBay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    rather than starting a whole new thread i thought it was a good time to bring this one back as there will be lotsa hunters chomping at the bit to get out there.....
    anyways anyone know who sorts the battery out on the GME plb? mine expires in january

in the hauraki/coromandel area
    @scotty Here this info might help, my Lil Bro organized a group buy a couple of years back & was sent this a while ago as apparently morons were sending units to China to have cheap batteries fitted.

https://www.gme.net.au/nz/news/warni...nts-on-epirbs/

The info & stories on this site are worth a read

https://beacons.org.nz/
    Last edited by bunji; 22-11-2021 at 01:32 PM.
    CooeeBay likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Finally good to see the manufacturers publishing the risk you take with getting unauthorized battery replacement. The same goes for ALL original beacon manufacturers (OEM), like ACR, Ocean Signal, McMurdo.

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @scotty Here this info might help, my Lil Bro organized a group buy a couple of years back & was sent this a while ago as apparently morons were sending units to China to have cheap batteries fitted.

https://www.gme.net.au/nz/news/warni...nts-on-epirbs/

The info & stories on this site are worth a read

https://beacons.org.nz/

Friendly reminder to check you PLB registration details are up to date.

Your phone and address details are correct.

Emergency contacts - name, address and phone number are current.

Check the PLB battery expiry date. If out of date - replace the PLB or it's battery (Skippersmate)

Bi-annual PLB satellite test only completed. (that's every 6 months)

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Just had my ACR ResQLink’s battery replaced at Wilco in Auckland. Cost $274.10 inc GST and courier. So in my opinion, still worth doing that rather than springing for a whole new unit.
    rugerman, CooeeBay, 57jl and 1 others like this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Sorry to drag up an old thread.
    i did some research & have a couple Questions on the following PLB:

Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1 GPS Locator Beacon
    Name:  PLB.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  26.6 KB

it says the following on the website where these are available..

Au Coded: *<< Tick Box |
    ..I Understand This PLB Is Au HEX Id Coded For NZ And Worldwide Activation And Is To Be Registered With AMSA - Canberra
    And Therefore No Contact With Maritime NZ Is Required As All Registration Details Will Be Provided By the Retailer. |
    ** Prefer An NZ Coded Beacon - ....... Can Be Registered With RCCNZ.

so my questions are
    1: Does this mean that Australia has a role in the communication chain in the event of an activation?
    2: If so is that role passive or active(ie. we'd require them to do something)?
    3: what is the process for maintaining registration details? is it retailer dependant?

I have no experience with PLBs, i'm comfortable with the general mechanicals behind it but i'm interested in where the failure points/depenencies lie in an emergency situation.

I love Oz & the Ockers but i don't have much trust in their systems & processes. Remember it was their navy who blew a hole in the deck of their own warship with the big cannon.
    I like to know who i'm trusting my life with if i push the button on this particular device(above)

I asked this here so maybe others will find this of some value i dunno, it's just a request/sharing of information at this stage.
    Last edited by Bubble07; 01-06-2023 at 02:04 PM.

ok done some more research..
    when the PLB (above example) is coded to another country ie. (AMSA (oz)) vs (RCCNZ (nz)) & subsequently registered in that jurisdiction (by law)...

1: Does this mean that Australia has a role in the communication chain in the event of an activation?
    YES.. the Australian Search and Rescue authorities will be the first point of contact, which may delay emergency response

2: If so is that role passive or active(ie. we'd require them to do something)?
    Not sure on the AMSA process, but i suspect there's a handover process involved (based upon the above answer.. ie. the 'delay') but only guessing there

3: what is the process for maintaining registration details?suspect there's a link to the AMSA or some other involved agency in OZ. is it retailer dependant? NO

so in summary.. the plb above should work fine in NZ & it is one of the cheapest on the nz market & nice & compact. most probably never activate them anyhow. on sale at the moment too.
    CooeeBay likes this.