Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Possum fur as insulation

I am not thinking of "making " the garment from Possum fur, rather than filling it.
    I know it compresses when wet, but so does down, in a big way.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I am not thinking of "making " the garment from Possum fur, rather than filling it.
    I know it compresses when wet, but so does down, in a big way.
    Scientific testing is what will sell it to manufacturers and consumers alike.....or else just put it on dickbook.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Years ago the cook bought me some possum merino fingerless gloves. They are when dry, amazingly warm.

Surprised no one has made some form of jacket out of possum fur yet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Like this?

McDonalds Merino - Possum Jacket with Leather Trim - The Tin Shed

[QUOTE=Recoil;597490]Like this?

[url=http://www.thetinshed.co.nz/products/mcdonalds

No no no. I am well aware of the knitted variety that make us of mixed fibres.
    My thinking is that possum fur may be a viable alternative to duck/goose down in puffer style jackets.
    Apparently there is a sizable number of our population that object to duck and goose down, based on some dubious methods of obtaining the end product. ( so my greeny sister tells me)
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I have possum fur beanies and possum fur socks,they are nice and warm and nice and soft and good for going to town on a winters night and that is about it.
    Wool fibers naturally lock together and naturall oils provide some water proofing.
    Duck and goose down can compress and expand up to 900%.
    possum fur is nice and soft but must be blended with wool to make a garment as the fibers are too short and smooth to lock together.....been there.
    Knits up into a really warm blanket, and is lighter for the amount of insulation it provides compared to wool alone....My wife is an avid knitter and uses plenty of exotic and expensive fibres, Possum / merino is probably one of the cheaper ones she uses, Alpaca, aplaca and silk, all sorts of very soft fine fibres and wools.

@Pengy could always buy a dog be, pull the stuffing out and replace it. Would work for pooch or penguins depending on the size... Beanbag would awesome filled half with fur
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @Pengy could always buy a dog be, pull the stuffing out and replace it. Would work for pooch or penguins depending on the size... Beanbag would awesome filled half with fur
    Jokes aside, I am going to give that a go.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

One of the big advantages of down for insulation is the warmth/weight ratio, I don't know how possum fur compares in that regard but would be interesting to find out.
    Pengy likes this.

[QUOTE=Pengy;597495][QUOTE=Recoil;597490]Like this?

[url=http://www.thetinshed.co.nz/products/mcdonalds

No no no. I am well aware of the knitted variety that make us of mixed fibres.
    My thinking is that possum fur may be a viable alternative to duck/goose down in puffer style jackets.
    Apparently there is a sizable number of our population that object to duck and goose down, based on some dubious methods of obtaining the end product. ( so my greeny sister tells me)[/QUOTE]

And she is happy with the source of possum fur how???? Plucked when dead. Was that the goose, duck or possum?

I don't know the answer to that one, but can tell you that she (sis) is not aware of the possum fur trade.
    I have a feeling that some Goose down is plucked from the live bird and then left to re grow.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I don't know the answer to that one, but can tell you that she (sis) is not aware of the possum fur trade.
    I have a feeling that some Goose down is plucked from the live bird and then left to re grow.
    Ouch.....

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    puffer jackets/sleepingbags work on using the "loft" ability of down, it can squish down to nothing and puff up again. possum fur does not do that to the same extent like sheeps wool.
    merino underwear is bloody good(but far ken expensive!) and not scratchy like the old farm fleck socks
    Yeah man love my merino undies. Nothing like that breathability and moisture wicking. Good for avoiding those anchovy smells

Initial scientific tests suggest that Possum fur compresses very well, and also lofts back to original bulk . Test was done using a vacuum sealer, which obviously compressed it much harder than could be done by hand.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Swazi made (makes?) those puffer vests and jackets with wool, and they're pretty good. Can't see why a possum one would not work if looked after. Down jackets need looked after as well to be fully efficient.
    Pengy likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Initial scientific tests suggest that Possum fur compresses very well, and also lofts back to original bulk . Test was done using a vacuum sealer, which obviously compressed it much harder than could be done by hand.
    Intriguing, might have to look into this as well, never seem to remember to take my fur to town to sell it when I go...
    Thinking of two thin jackets, a outer shell and a fleece inner wih fur between them, guess you would need to make quite a few baffles to hold the fur in place
    Pengy likes this.