Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Puffer/ Down Jackets

Puffer/ Down Jackets

With the macpac sale on i was looking a getting a jacket in preparation before heading down south hunting. At this stage i will be hunting early march, rest of the time it will be east coast of the north island.
    Was looking at the halo hooded or Pulsar Hooded PrimaLoft™ Gold Jacket. Not knowing any think about both jackets what would you recommend out of the two.
    Both are $150.
    Is it a bit of kit you would be buying? Just in the process of buying a new hunting jacket so will have a good jacket.

Huk
    Cheep as chips mate any 1 will be good they are a good bit of kit to have wont be sorry
    norsk likes this.

I use the halo puffer and rate it. Packs down to stuff all and warm enough to take the edge off a chilly kaweka evening. Good value for the money.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

If it's only going to be used in the north island..... If looking for one to last check out wear on earth

Having said that I have a macpac downie that has grease and paint all over it, it works as long as I stay dry

Both will be good but the Pulsar is defiantly lighter and will be waaaaay warmer if you get it wet. The Halo will be warmer overall if dry though. My guess is they will pack down to a similar size and primaloft doesn't compress as well as down.

Both are very cheap and should be good value for money.
    bigbear likes this.

You get the halo on sale for a hundy.
    Worth waiting for their "sales"
    I have a halo without a hood and for the money its good.

@erniec there sale is on at the moment i can get the halo with no hood for $100 but id prefer to pay the extra and get a hooded jacket.
    If i had money to burn i would be buying quality like cactus but value for money i find it hard to go past these.
    erniec likes this.

Primaloft forsure if any cahnce of getting wet- i use 2 Uberlight down cheapies from macpac as a backup thermal layer and for glassing- cheap as- i just dont allow them to get wet- ever.

Bos
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    If it's only going to be used in the north island..... If looking for one to last check out wear on earth

Having said that I have a macpac downie that has grease and paint all over it, it works as long as I stay dry
    Have to agree. Cheapies are fine but my Wear On Earth vest is a few years old now and still pretty awesome

I would go for the synthetic, for that shit hit the fan moment.... when you really really need that warm down jacket...... it WILL be wet, and no use to you. And no use for the rest of the trip, probably.

Nothing touches down for its insulation value, but that comes at a cost ( got to be dry ) The modern synthetics like primaloft and climashield come pretty close. And they will dry out and be of use again. If you wet them out.

I got one of these and it does me fine.
    https://www.hunterselement.co.nz/col...element-jacket

Name:  Element_Jacket_-_Bare_-_Logo_-_RGB_NEW_-_PROPORTIONS_RESIZED_2000x.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  294.1 KB

I also have a duck down jacket, from BASE, which i take as a camp jacket. Both pack down to fkall and when your out for a week in the snow its fine by be to have 2 jackets. Im carrying them

I live in my Halo hooded jacket down in Dunedin in winter, on my second one now after the dog ripped the first one

Downies are a very underrated garment here in NZ. I have 3, 2 hooded, one not, and 2 down vests as well. For the money you can buy a few of these before you get to what a Stony Creek is worth. Either will do the job, the down one will pack down real small. Definitely try to keep them dry, the reality is once you get one you do keep them dry and rarely ever get them wet. Kuiu or Wear on Earth are made a bit tighter so you can fit them on inside your rain gear if it does get wet. The Halo gets my vote for value for money.

get one of their down hoodies with treated down.

Wear on Earth

www.woe.co.nz