Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Question for the knife makers

Hi all. I've got a question for the knife makers in the group in regards to extending a tang on a cheapish 440 stainless steel knife a bought a few years ago (see picture). Its a good blade for the money I paid but a real shame the tang is so short. I was think of tig welding another piece of stainless steel to extend the tang, grinding down the tang extension to the same profile of the existing handle, cutting the handle in half and riveting both halves to to the new tang. Thoughts?
    Name:  DSCN0176[1].JPG
Views: 146
Size:  119.0 KB

Yes ,weld ing an extension is definitely faisable.
    I had that done on a glock bayonet.
    Regarding your handle, you could maybe drill with a long small drill some pathway for the tang.
    Heat up your new tang and melt it through what you just drilled. Take your time, but that could work.

Sharpener, not a maker, but yup that'll work.

As long as the blade edge doesn't get to hot it won't mess up the hardness.

You need drill holes through the new tang for the rivets then drill holes through the two handle scales using the tang as a guide, then epoxy the scales to the tang, and put epoxy in the pin holes and tap in brass rod. If you want to get fancy you can counter sink the pin holes slightly, leave the pins a bit longer and peen the pins pin ends over.

Looks like it may need to be curved to not pop through the back of the handle. Still, easy enough to do.

Yup doable, just notch the existing tang with a v cut to make a strong weld.

Just drill more holes to extend the tang cavity, then I reckon you could probably burn the tang in to get rid of last bits. Of webbing and grt a nice fit
    Bit of epoxy the a pin in the same spot and job done

If you duff the existing handle Could also just make a new timber or composite handle for it. A simple frame handles pretty easy for anyone with basic woodworking skills and equipment.