Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree769Likes

Thread: show us your chainsaws

show us your chainsaws

trying to post video of my bench saw set up... not having much luck so far.

might have to email it to someone less technically retarded and get them to post it.....

https://youtu.be/WfW_8o9_Vu0

with a lot of help from a great fella here we have it.thats a 30 plus year old 025 with a non roller tip bar....I cut near on a cord of willow branches for one tank of fuel using this set up

I have 2 Stihls a petrol jobby and an electric battery one.. The petrol one hasn't been used for a year or 2. The battery one is one of the best things i have ever bought.
    Pengy, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

Nowhere as sophisticated as Mickys but this my branch frame.
    And these are my saws.
    Still 084 in the mill frame wearing the short bar (36 in)
    Huskie 365 had from new in 1998 a bit like captain cooks axe now has some 371xp bits which sped things up a bit.
    Oily o mac deliberately spelt like that as I've never had a saw leak so much bar oil when sitting doing nothing. Actually an Oleomac 936 i brought as a replacement when a sthil "toy saw" shat itself doing light work scrub cutting and was told that it wasn't designed for that. Got a refund and brought this. It didnt blow up. It's been used as general small job dogsbody and fencing 1saw for 10 years been through a few bars etc.
    Absolutely no brand allegiance showing there whatsoever.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Name:  D3AAD1C7-6094-44AF-8C52-4CFF8E84C28B.jpeg
Views: 1583
Size:  1.94 MB
    Cheap as Ozito great for tree top stuff. I’m now a city slicker and this is my neighbour’s tree. Every branch has had to be lowered by rope as it’s hard up against the fence and hanging over the house. Love the little saw for this type of work. I might bust out the 064 for the final cut.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Love your harness and safety kit! hahahaha

Mine are a MS361, had from new and a Germanic version not the US with the EPA cat muffler or the hairless version (Brazilian made) and a MS260. Only mods to the 361 so far are a set of lightweight dual dogs as I couldn't bring myself to use the clutch cover when crutching out avos and an o-ring and a bit of grease to seal up the air filter better. From what I can see, the air filter is the only real weakness on this saw - I do prefer it to the similar sized husqy offerings although there's a slight weight and vibration penalty with the 361. The MS260 was CHEAP and has had a bit of repair work, replacing rubber parts and cleaning out the carby etc. It was a commercial lawn and garden contractor's saw so done a power of work, well broken in haha and man, it cuts like the finger of god. The thing is incredible really, a revelation after homeowner saws.

At some stage I'll get a piccy of them in the box I knocked up.

I've had a 660, 044, 361, 026's, 288, 36, 136, Jonsered 2036, Makita something, McCutnot somesuch and blah blah, probably a few others I can't recall. There was a 038 in there somewhere too I think? So yeah no real brand loyalty as such, but what I def don't like is the offboard clutch as I had them jam up on noodles and be impossible to pull apart and also if you pinch a bar you can't get the saw off it while the bar is jammed. Pain in the arse... Also I don't particularly like the Husqy internal design as they are really fiddly and tightly packed in if you have to perform surgery. Which seems to me to be really frequently required with the husqy's I've had - I dunno might just be me. The Jonsered (basically a Husqy 36) was one of the most frustrating saws I've had, went awesome when it went. Then it stopped and wouldn't start until it cooled down... Did everything to it, muffler mod, air filter refresh, fuel and carby rekit and tune, strip and clean the air injection system, finally found the issue with the fuel line getting pinched between a plastic case flashing an ali cooling fin. Had to trim the fuel line to re-route it away from the pinch point. Stupid thing...
    They seem like a problematic saw whether they are the jred, husky , Poulan or Mcculloch versions .

@Micky Duck it looks like it's doing the job and making life really easy for you, but mate I suspect if I was using it my first impression is that chain is too close to my hands! Did you make up the jig yourself? How is it attached to the front of the bar?

Good to put a face to the name too

it was made commercially 30 something years back.
    the chain is no closer to my hands,than it would be to someone else holding stick on side of trailer...or my boot if standing on branch to cut it (is there any other way?)
    the last cut,my hand is about 4" from cutty bit. rear of bar it has small plate and bar is sandwiched between so it comes off in one bit.... see photos in Phil Hs thread on farm access...the tip.....now thats WHY its not a roller tip bar...hole drilled through bar ,bolt goes through and two pressed metal plated cover end of bar to protect user. I had it on roller tip bar but had to make up shield for it....the bullnose bar MUCH MUCH better.the saw doesnt rev its nuts off so the old saw suits the set up well.

yeah thats neat...the end of bar being exposed and under his armpit gives me the heebee geebees....like mostthings in life,safe till somethinggoes wrong,same with other end of bar..... Ive seen a similar set up with 5 foot bar that runs off front of wheel tractor....man can that thing buzz through blue gum like there is no tomorrow.

So tell me what model this saw is....lost it's sticker....is there anywhere else on the saw that gives it's model?

Name:  IMG_3321.JPG
Views: 1188
Size:  544.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3322.JPG
Views: 1238
Size:  589.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Love your harness and safety kit! hahahaha

Mine are a MS361, had from new and a Germanic version not the US with the EPA cat muffler or the hairless version (Brazilian made) and a MS260. Only mods to the 361 so far are a set of lightweight dual dogs as I couldn't bring myself to use the clutch cover when crutching out avos and an o-ring and a bit of grease to seal up the air filter better. From what I can see, the air filter is the only real weakness on this saw - I do prefer it to the similar sized husqy offerings although there's a slight weight and vibration penalty with the 361. The MS260 was CHEAP and has had a bit of repair work, replacing rubber parts and cleaning out the carby etc. It was a commercial lawn and garden contractor's saw so done a power of work, well broken in haha and man, it cuts like the finger of god. The thing is incredible really, a revelation after homeowner saws.

At some stage I'll get a piccy of them in the box I knocked up.

I've had a 660, 044, 361, 026's, 288, 36, 136, Jonsered 2036, Makita something, McCutnot somesuch and blah blah, probably a few others I can't recall. There was a 038 in there somewhere too I think? So yeah no real brand loyalty as such, but what I def don't like is the offboard clutch as I had them jam up on noodles and be impossible to pull apart and also if you pinch a bar you can't get the saw off it while the bar is jammed. Pain in the arse... Also I don't particularly like the Husqy internal design as they are really fiddly and tightly packed in if you have to perform surgery. Which seems to me to be really frequently required with the husqy's I've had - I dunno might just be me. The Jonsered (basically a Husqy 36) was one of the most frustrating saws I've had, went awesome when it went. Then it stopped and wouldn't start until it cooled down... Did everything to it, muffler mod, air filter refresh, fuel and carby rekit and tune, strip and clean the air injection system, finally found the issue with the fuel line getting pinched between a plastic case flashing an ali cooling fin. Had to trim the fuel line to re-route it away from the pinch point. Stupid thing...
    Ha ha, what’s wrong with a good branch to Stan on and one front and rear to lean on. I have a harness that I might bust out for the too branches.
    I’ll also line up my saws for a photo shoot. Even the working progress ones in bits in boxes.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    So tell me what model this saw is....lost it's sticker....is there anywhere else on the saw that gives it's model?

Attachment 174097
    Attachment 174098
    Can't be many models that have that plastic catch instead of the usaly 2 nuts to take the cover off. Had a husky that had a similar set up and it was a prick of a thing.

its actually a fairy new thing...my 026 has that,its a fast chain tension system...

have a look under cover by air filter.....hard to judge size from photo but IM GUESSING thats about a 14'' bar???