Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree769Likes

Thread: show us your chainsaws

spet week at my elderly parents place. Dad said my old saw wont start,cant get it to turn over....I picked it up,checked fuel,gave slow pull on cord till she moved then started it up and proceeded to carve up log,refueled and did same again...sitting for years in shed with fuel mixed with car motor oil possibly hasnt done her any good but it stihl cuts very well...so the old boy is going to courier down to me to live out its life with all the others in my stable.it was purchased for me about 35-36 years ago...will be hard case to have both an 025 and 026 in the stable. must look up the specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    A recent shift has seen my chainsaw family get together.

Attachment 185693

My 1958 Series 1 Solo Rex 125cc saw got a clean up. Had it running for the first time in 10-12yrs, which would have woken the dead in my local suburbia. She sure is loud & proud. My father bought this saw in about 1959-1960 from what I can find in history and was used right up until the early 80's. The big Canterbury wind of 1st Aug '75 gave it plenty of work on the farm, with tall pines & blue gums down everywhere. Love it with all it's noise & nostalgia.

Attachment 185694
    Attachment 185695
    @Mathias you'll grow to love that wee 120
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    @Mathias you'll grow to love that wee 120
    Yeah, I've done a bit with it already and liking its size.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Name:  20220324_190847.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  3.57 MB
    Handy for clearing the viewing platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    spet week at my elderly parents place. Dad said my old saw wont start,cant get it to turn over....I picked it up,checked fuel,gave slow pull on cord till she moved then started it up and proceeded to carve up log,refueled and did same again...sitting for years in shed with fuel mixed with car motor oil possibly hasnt done her any good but it stihl cuts very well...so the old boy is going to courier down to me to live out its life with all the others in my stable.it was purchased for me about 35-36 years ago...will be hard case to have both an 025 and 026 in the stable. must look up the specs.
    Probably leaded petrol as well, it didn't seem to go off like the unleaded stuff
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by silentscope View Post
    Attachment 193306
    Handy for clearing the viewing platform.
    If it's electric it won't bring in any stags, in the past I've had stags roaring back at me while fencing using a petrol saw and auger
    Micky Duck, XR500 and NAKED_GOOSE like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    If it's electric it won't bring in any stags, in the past I've had stags roaring back at me while fencing using a petrol saw and auger
    i have heard story's about stags coming in to check out whos making all the noise, i imagine it would be quite a surprise when it happens haha

MSL
    Late last year I dug this old girl out of my fathers shed, where there’s 20 or so old saws from his native logging days.
    This 056 magnum hasn’t run for around 25 years, due to a seized piston.
    I started with a hiss and a roar, tearing it down and cleaning it up.
    I ordered new crank bearings, a gasket set, new piston, and a new rubber handle mount.
    Got the parts, then the whole lot sat on my bench for a year.

So last night just before 9pm, I headed up to the shed, my enthusiasm ignited by a successful bore honing job I had done earlier in the day on another saw.
    So that is what I started with, honing the bore of this saw. It came up very nice, with just minor historic scoring.
    Anyone who has rebuilt any of the professional grade saws will know, they are made to be rebuilt. There are maybe four different types of screw, and their home on the saw is usually very obvious.
    Late last night, the only thing left to do, was cut a new gasket for the oil pump, and fit the outboard clutch.
    So after work this arvo, I did those last bits, and pulled it over a few times with the switch in the off position. Then maybe 20 pulls with the choke on, and she fired. Choke off, two more pulls and it roared into life. This is the third saw I’ve resurrected from fathers shed in the last couple years, and he’s always pretty chuffed to see them running again.

Some people like to repaint them, and fit new covers etc, but I like a bit of character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tahr, NRT, TeRei and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Late last year I dug this old girl out of my fathers shed, where there’s 20 or so old saws from his native logging days.
    I ordered new crank bearings, a gasket set, new piston, and a new rubber handle mount.

So last night just before 9pm, I headed up to the shed, my enthusiasm ignited by a successful bore honing job I had done earlier in the day on another saw.
    So that is what I started with, honing the bore of this saw. It came up very nice, with just minor historic scoring.
    Anyone who has rebuilt any of the professional grade saws will know, they are made to be rebuilt. There are maybe four different types of screw, and their home on the saw is usually very obvious.
    Late last night, the only thing left to do, was cut a new gasket for the oil pump, and fit the outboard clutch.
    So after work this arvo, I did those last bits, and pulled it over a few times with the switch in the off position. Then maybe 20 pulls with the choke on, and she fired. Choke off, two more pulls and it roared into life. This is the third saw I’ve resurrected from fathers shed in the last couple years, and he’s always pretty chuffed to see them running again.

Some people like to repaint them, and fit new covers etc, but I like a bit of character.

How did you get on tracking down a clutch side bearing and seal? My 056 is one of my favourite saws
    Pack out heavy

MSL
    Got the seals and gaskets in a blister pack from Terry in Taranaki, aswell as the two bearings. The clutch side bearing was quite different to mine, in that it carried a circlip on the outer case, where the one in the saw relied on a circlip in the case. I didn’t end up using anything other than the head gasket and new piston. Everything else, I decided was actually not bad.

Got the seals and gaskets in a blister pack from Terry in Taranaki, aswell as the two bearings. The clutch side bearing was quite different to mine, in that it carried a circlip on the outer case, where the one in the saw relied on a circlip in the case. I didn’t end up using anything other than the head gasket and new piston. Everything else, I decided was actually not bad.
    I think there was a change part way through that series. they also have 2 different types of ignition . These guys are good for hard to find Stihl parts if Terry doesn't stock them https://shop.saegenspezi.de/spare-pa.../045-AV-056-AV
    Pack out heavy

I learnt to use a saw,with one just like that...brings a tear to my eye to see such a wonderful old gal back up and running/roaring.....still pisses me off how I got dicked out of the one I had....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    And it makes your thumb wrap around the handle.
    Makes me cringe when I see people use a saw with their thumb on top of the handle parallel to their fingers. Saw kicks and they are relying on finger pressure to keep their hand on the handle.
    With their thumb apposing fingers, the handle needs to practically dislocate the thumb to get away.
    When I'm training chainsaw use if I see anyone doing that they get a wrap over the knuckles.
    I explain to them I'm saving them from themselves!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Used 3/4 of a tank of electric. Grunty.

Name:  IMG_6703.jpeg
Views: 228
Size:  5.58 MB

Name:  IMG_6701.jpeg
Views: 231
Size:  5.72 MB
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Used 3/4 of a tank of electric. Grunty.
    Is that the MSA 220?
    Picked one up for work yesterday for some light road lining work.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement