Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree769Likes

Thread: show us your chainsaws

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    We only need enough kindling for a medium sized bonfire...not a thermonuclear blaze seen from the space station!

Besides, these are over a k away from the burn pit. Asking a wee bit much of the dozer to drag them that far
    The old bush men used to break down logs to get them to a skid site....leave the slash behind unless you want it for firewood.

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    The old bush men used to break down logs to get them to a skid site....leave the slash behind unless you want it for firewood.

There's almost no millable timber on these. A couple of 3 m lengths at most. These trees have just branched ridiculously once they got 3m off the ground.

But a shit ton of firewood

Name:  Sproing.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  175.3 KB

42 inch bar on the 395 for this one.
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

Loverly firewood at that. Those branches are a firewooders dream cut, one split done I'd almost leave the barrel. Do you leave them down a while for the leaves to pump out a lot of the moisture before cutting them up.?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yes, gotta get rid of as much water as possible. That tree in the picture came from that stump. So has sledged down the hill a ways. They were all growing on a fenceline on a 30 degree hillside: hence all the faffing around to get me up high enough on the downhill side to put in the cuts where necessary.
    Micky Duck likes this.

the chainsaw bech set up Ive got is just about perfect for trees like that,I cut 8 foot lengths from 1" round upwards to about 4" and stack in trailer and take home to use the bench saw...dead easy on the back as no bending over.... means the slash pile is bugger all. and small stuff doesnt even need splitting.
    Marty Henry likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

...And bending over gets more problematic with the advancing years

I try to employ mechanical means wherever possible: Tractor with grab holding 3 x 250 dia logs @ 6-8m long. Chainsaw with 28 inch bar. Do a dozen rings one side, walk over and do other side. Then crank up the hydraulic double end splitter and biff rings into IBC pods to dry. Rear mounted orchard forks to transport pods up to the rear of the house. So handled rings once onto the splitter, twice thrown into pod, and third from pod to log basket and into house. I am sure I worked out when I was young fit and dumb I handled them eight times
    308, Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.

"Hydraulic double end splitter". I dunno, the internet appears to have badly damaged my mind...
    257weatherby and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    "Hydraulic double end splitter". I dunno, the internet appears to have badly damaged my mind...
    https://www.taskpower.co.nz/collecti...plit-fire-3403

Yer, even the name 'splitfire' can give the wrong connotation
    No.3 likes this.

https://www.taskpower.co.nz/collecti...plit-fire-3403

Yer, even the name 'splitfire' can give the wrong connotation
    That looks good.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Yip.

Needs good hydraulic flow to really shine. My 110hp tractor needs to be at 1300-1400 rpm, and with 3-4 people (each with their own inviolable task!!!) its a cube in 10-15 minutes.

The video linked to that website doesn't give any credence to how efficient this splitter can be.

Earlier this arvo....

Yip.

Needs good hydraulic flow to really shine. My 110hp tractor needs to be at 1300-1400 rpm, and with 3-4 people (each with their own inviolable task!!!) its a cube in 10-15 minutes.

The video linked to that website doesn't give any credence to how efficient this splitter can be.
    And good hydraulic cooling I'd say too...

Don't forget proper technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5dUDfqeql0&t=1s

Brought a MS460 that was the unfortunate recipient of a squashing late last year. Turned up with a replacement crankcase, handle/tank, gasket set and covers (Holzzforma) and in more individual pieces than I could shake a stick at. Finally got it cleaned up and back together night before last - first one I've reassembled that I didn't strip myself and also the first time I've used the chinese crankcase and bits. A challenge...

The crankcase isn't as 'nice' as the Stihl ones obviously - the paint isn't as neat and the machining of surfaces isn't as clean. It went together OK all things considered. Filled it with fluids and gave it a go from dead dry on start settings - 7-8 pulls to the cough and a couple more on high speed idle and it's running happy as. Just need to find some timber to sink it into and the other bit is some dry weather!!!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Question for the experts: How would 25" bar go on my MS390? I'm thinking that with a skip chain it would be alright? Currently run a 20" bar and there are times when a bit more be good.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella