Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree769Likes

Thread: show us your chainsaws

In my 40's I could wield my 395 all day.

Mid 60's...about 2 hours is all I can do now. But with a nicely sharpened up chain and a trued bar it is an absolute pleasure to throw about.

You get a few firewood enthusiasts around to ring up some firewood with their poorly maintained 50-60cc saws...rubbing their way through 300mm dia limbs, and you arc up the 395 and make it look like its kindling.

They hang their heads and go quietly put their saws back in their cars
    TeRei, tetawa, rugerman and 1 others like this.

It is nice pulling noodles on a crosscut. Gets attention from the people with homer saws that know what they are about, but if you are getting that I find you have to be careful on the rip or the saw jams tight with cut wood and it's a mongrel to sort...

Some advice needed .
    I’ve been offered a Stihl 024 AV saw from a relative.
    It’s in bloody good nick and apparently has only done a bit of light orchard work.
    I only need a saw for pruning work around a small property that I can no longer manage with a hand saw.
    Question for those of you who know these things.
    What’s it worth ??
    I want to pay a fair price .
    Thanks in advance

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeman View Post
    Some advice needed .
    I’ve been offered a Stihl 024 AV saw from a relative.
    It’s in bloody good nick and apparently has only done a bit of light orchard work.
    I only need a saw for pruning work around a small property that I can no longer manage with a hand saw.
    Question for those of you who know these things.
    What’s it worth ??
    I want to pay a fair price .
    Thanks in advance

Can you try it first to make sure it runs all tickety boo and check out the clutch, drive sprocket and bar
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

If it's in good nick and runs well it will be a keeper. They are a great little saw.
    I have one that was my dad's. It's 30 years old now and runs beautifully. Couldn't tell you what it would be worth though.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

MSL
    I’ve got two runners and probably 5-6 parts saws. They are handy saws. I’d say $400-500 would be a fair price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shearer, Micky Duck and paremata like this.

If it's really good nick maybe a little more? Just be aware with the old saws hard gaskets and fuel lines. It's a pain in the arse having to change out the soft goods, hoses boots and gaskets because they've swollen and split...

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    If it's really good nick maybe a little more? Just be aware with the old saws hard gaskets and fuel lines. It's a pain in the arse having to change out the soft goods, hoses boots and gaskets because they've swollen and split...
    Obviously the value to me may be less than those who don’t have a pile of 024’s already.

Micky Duck and paremata like this.

well its a bit like 2nd had rifles....a good one is still in compitition with the cheapest brand new one... so go to mitre 10 and find something similar size,then buy the stihl and be happy.
    erniec likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    In my 40's I could wield my 395 all day.

Mid 60's...about 2 hours is all I can do now. But with a nicely sharpened up chain and a trued bar it is an absolute pleasure to throw about.

You get a few firewood enthusiasts around to ring up some firewood with their poorly maintained 50-60cc saws...rubbing their way through 300mm dia limbs, and you arc up the 395 and make it look like its kindling.

They hang their heads and go quietly put their saws back in their cars
    Lol done that a few times.
    I usually end up been the saw sharpener .
    Might as well have 6 saws cutting well than just mine.
    Always a laugh when a know all rocks out with his 36 inch bar and struggling with a big but and I tell them hang on I will go grab mine.
    I even let them have a go on the 56 inch once I know they can't fuck it up.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

MSL
    Has that 56” even been on a saw since I made a loop for it?

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Has that 56” even been on a saw since I made a loop for it?

Yep, dealt to some massive poplars and now back down to the tiny 36"
    Going to have a play with that chain slabbing a couple of tops.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

One of the coolest "chainsaw things" I've seen . . . . Paul Wilson (or was it Adams) of Jacob's River, South Westland . . . A heck of a good bushman/businessman, and one of the largest girthed blokes you'd ever meet!

But could he run a saw. Mid 1980s as I recall. My Dad wanted some Totara slabs for tables, Paul said he knew where there a big downed log, and he was surely right, it was at least 6' diameter, maybe 7' Paul cut perfect 2.5" thick x 12' long slabs off it at full width after opening it out. Perfectly even and flat just like they'd come off a mill, all done with a bar of about 40 or maybe 42 cutting from both sides. I got an end off o e slab and still have the coffee table I made from it.

Paul had at that time recently supplied the massive Totara beams that were carved for the meeting house in Te Papa. You'd have to go a long way to meet a prouder, more generous and Maori man of absolute integrity
    Micky Duck likes this.

One of the coolest "chainsaw things" I've seen . . . . Paul Wilson (or was it Adams) of Jacob's River, South Westland . . . A heck of a good bushman/businessman, and one of the largest girthed blokes you'd ever meet!

But could he run a saw. Mid 1980s as I recall. My Dad wanted some Totara slabs for tables, Paul said he knew where there a big downed log, and he was surely right, it was at least 6' diameter, maybe 7' Paul cut perfect 2.5" thick x 12' long slabs off it at full width after opening it out. Perfectly even and flat just like they'd come off a mill, all done with a bar of about 40 or maybe 42 cutting from both sides. I got an end off o e slab and still have the coffee table I made from it.

Paul had at that time recently supplied the massive Totara beams that were carved for the meeting house in Te Papa. You'd have to go a long way to meet a prouder, more generous and Maori man of absolute integrity
    7mmsaum and No.3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Obviously the value to me may be less than those who don’t have a pile of 024’s already.

"A pile of 024's..." Yeah, ok - times like this I realise that maybe I don't have a problem after all haha. I swing between my usual two saws and anything up to 6 or 7 of various types that I get as play saws to fix up. I def don't have a pile of anything saw related except maybe bars and chains!!!