Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree769Likes

Thread: show us your chainsaws

Awesome thanks guys

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

All ready to run - warmed up for a difficult job on Tuesday . . .

Name:  20230319_102734.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  4.92 MB

I always try and buy the best tool for the job . . . Being lectured by a "brand snob" usually tells me the guy doesn't know as much as he thinks he does - be it rifles, saws, tractors you name it! Besides "best for the job" considerations service support etc is also important.

So:

Stihl MS200 Battery saw 12" bar - used nearly everyday for fencing, I run 3 batteries, the petrol saws haven't been riding on the truck for at least 5 years now. Magnificent tool, about equivalent to a good 40cc petrol saw.

Echo 45cc - I got this secondhand and did 10 years of firewood (about 30-40 cubes per year) with it. The chain brake mechanism failed so it couldn't follow me into the fencing business but it still utterly reliable and gets a run when a cattlebeast needs cut down.

Makita DCS 4300 - man I've cut a lot of box stay mortises with this saw, a lot of smaller tree work, and firewood for 7 or 8 years.

Husky 365 Special - new addition to the pack, I needed a grunty 20" to do a particular job cutting a lot of tree roots (the last and most difficult of which I tackle on Tuesday) and I didn't want to be constantly sharpening a 30" bar. Got a dammed near new professional grade saw for $550 via FB.

Husky 181 SE. 30" bar. Got this 10 years ago cause we occasionally have bigger trees to deal with. A old rebuilt bush saw, but man is this one snotty, working with a mobile mill guy he kept asking me to do this and do that with it. I thought he was taking the pics until we both got going at the same time . . . . and the 181 was finishing its bucking cuts well ahead of his modern Stihl 066 or something like that. "Start it like ya stole it" though or it'll tear your arm off and you'll think someone hit your hand with a hammer!
    Last edited by Tentman; 19-03-2023 at 11:00 AM.
    zimmer, 308 and Micky Duck like this.

Those little Dolmar/Makita jobs are quite underrated. Actually that's a fair point about brand loyalty, some big name saws are contract built in 3rd party factories and are effectively the same saw as cheaper no name versions. Poulan/Jonsered/Husqvarna, and another is the Homelite/Ryobi types. I hear the homelite version gets a good reputation but avoid the ryobi - same saw different colour! Same with the Poulan, its crap and cheap but the husky and jonnie are go too saws???

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Those little Dolmar/Makita jobs are quite underrated. Actually that's a fair point about brand loyalty, some big name saws are contract built in 3rd party factories and are effectively the same saw as cheaper no name versions. Poulan/Jonsered/Husqvarna, and another is the Homelite/Ryobi types. I hear the homelite version gets a good reputation but avoid the ryobi - same saw different colour! Same with the Poulan, its crap and cheap but the husky and jonnie are go too saws???
    Stihl parts are made in China and for certain markets e.g. Germany and USA are assembled in the country of sale . . . and are therefore labeled "Made in the USA" but it's just marketing bullshit! Is there a difference - I don't know but I hate being "taken for a ride" by marketing people.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    What’s wrong with your saw and what does it need

Some forum guys have sheds full of bits that might be of use to you
    It's a husqvarna mark 2 36cc ..?

Had it two years approx. Needs a carb kit n a main spring. Talked to the mechanic about it as the seals have gone hard. Apparently 'not used enough...' . Saw is used for farm fencing n self small wood cutting. Not used every day but more than a homeowner saw I'd imagine.

Repair in shop be $250 parts n labour including new chain.

This particular saw will be on special next month for $350 hence why the shop called me.

Could get saw repaired for parts cost only but holding fire at moment n considering options. This thread has being useful for that.

Am a bit disappointed. Thought it would have lasted longer than that.

Sent from my SM-T225 using Tapatalk

SO spend $350,keep old one for spare parts,you have bar n chain that will flick straight over to start with..and brand new saw will have???12mth warrantee etc
    but yes thats not a very good run at all.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post

Had it two years approx. Needs a carb kit n a main spring. Talked to the mechanic about it as the seals have gone hard. Apparently 'not used enough...' . Saw is used for farm fencing n self small wood cutting. Not used every day but more than a homeowner saw I'd imagine.

This particular saw will be on special next month for $350 hence why the shop called me.

Could get saw repaired for parts cost only but holding fire at moment n considering options. This thread has being useful for that.

Hmm- that's a shame. My Makita (which is lucky to get two runs a year) has a carby problem too - it will start and idle but bogs when asked for power. This lasts anything from 5 min and a dozen starts to 4 hours and 20 or so starts. Then it runs fine for as many tanks of fuel as you can throw at it. From my limited experience I think maybe the carby is getting gummed up, and the several starts are what it takes to clean itself.

You might have to try the same with your Husky

Name:  24AA5E37-3758-443F-9D78-9D4E29C356C0.jpeg
Views: 200
Size:  3.53 MBAlready had the big batteries for a grinder so thought I would see what all the hype is with EV saws........Its impressive!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hmm- that's a shame. My Makita (which is lucky to get two runs a year) has a carby problem too - it will start and idle but bogs when asked for power. This lasts anything from 5 min and a dozen starts to 4 hours and 20 or so starts. Then it runs fine for as many tanks of fuel as you can throw at it. From my limited experience I think maybe the carby is getting gummed up, and the several starts are what it takes to clean itself.

You might have to try the same with your Husky
    The wee flexible fuel diaphragm in the carb is getting stiff

Do you store it empty of fuel as it runs out or do you turn it off before the tanks empty so fuel stays in carb to keep diaphragms/one way valves supple
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

My big (not that big) saw is a Shindaiwa.
    I noticed the hire companies were using them - and not much gets abused like a hire chainsaw.

I mean, what do the Japanese know about small engines or cutting tools?
    Dama dama, Micky Duck and SL600 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    My big (not that big) saw is a Shindaiwa.
    I noticed the hire companies were using them - and not much gets abused like a hire chainsaw.

I mean, what do the Japanese know about small engines or cutting tools?
    Have heard 5hat from other sources. Will have to see if local town has dealer/outlet.

Yeah, nothing flash about the Shindaiwa's but they just go about their work. Have a few usual things that go bad I hear, but from my family in the hire trade they get them cheaper than the equivalent big brand gear so for a business proposition where you aren't likely to spend to fix if it's a few parts and a bit of labour in lieu of straight replacement what's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post

Probably not worth paying someone to repair it but they aren't too hard to work on if you have the inclination to have a crack yourself.

I inherited my old mans XL homelite , if anyone wants too see pics of the beast ?

Need to pump a little plastic pump every now and then to oil the chain , no bar lock and heavy as !!
    loves to chew through wood though.
    Micky Duck and paremata like this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    The wee flexible fuel diaphragm in the carb is getting stiff

Do you store it empty of fuel as it runs out or do you turn it off before the tanks empty so fuel stays in carb to keep diaphragms/one way valves supple
    Interesting one, the thing with the carby is fuel evaporates out even when the tank is full and it's the oil reside that creates half the issues. I tend to leave the fuel tank tipped out so there's a bit in there after use but not full of fuel. I don't tend to use my gear (the gear I consider my own 'good gear' that doesn't get lent out or sold but doesn't get used that often around the gear I get handed to fix up...) but will try and start them several times a year at least. It's a little hard, my problem is I run out of things to cut! The main thing about storing fuel is it's only considered good for 3 months or so, before it's getting sour and it's easier for my purposes to only run the minimum I have to and not storing full tanks of it to go stale. I haven't had an issue with things going hard or shrinking so far, always a first time I guess...
    7mmsaum likes this.