Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree769Likes

Thread: show us your chainsaws

Quote Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
    592xp and a Tuatahi work axe
    Attachment 210779
    Attachment 210780
    Do you use tomato sauce as bar lube? Are you related to Dundee?😁
    rugerman, Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

That's for when he quarters the cattlebeasts... (no joke I've seen it done...).
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    you clean saw right down then put cooking oil in as bar lube...takes a LOT of grunt to saw through from chest to head,the neck/brisket is a deep cut with lots of material to say through...

think iVE TOLD THIS BEFORE...but what the hell

after having cut up cattle beast,I decided to see if tiny 12" bar would fit on larger saw..had 2 near new chains for it.. so buggered around taking bar n chain off 3 saws before deciding it wasnt going to work,so put them all back togather again...except couldnt find bar /sprocket cover/side plate anywhere..looked on bench,looked on floor,looked behind freezer I was using as work bench,went inside and got torch to look harder behind freezer..panic was starting to set in..the men in white coats were sure to turn up any second to take me away to padded room..checked bench again,checked behind freezer again.walked out of garage and there on lawn was a spotlessly clean side cover and dog with big grin on her face licking her lips...cleaned it for you dad....BITCH.
    308, kotuku, quentin and 2 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Haha that's classic, if only you could do that after wood! Did you get the rest of the bits back a few days later?

What I've seen done quite often is the little electric saws. They develop their grunt really early on compared to petrol engined saws and you can feather the saw in the cut so it doesn't load up so much. Works really well with the thinner chains and if you're good you can cut away and drop each quarter into a barrow for not much lifting!!!

Not unusual. Mate and I broke down 10 frozen sheep carcases from the Patea works once using MY saw. (He had more saws than me the cunning bastard). What a bloody mess. Sheep provide good bar lube.
    Marty Henry likes this.

Haha that's classic, if only you could do that after wood! Did you get the rest of the bits back a few days later?

What I've seen done quite often is the little electric saws. They develop their grunt really early on compared to petrol engined saws and you can feather the saw in the cut so it doesn't load up so much. Works really well with the thinner chains and if you're good you can cut away and drop each quarter into a barrow for not much lifting!!!
    no bits swallowed,all were licked spotlessly clean...unlike my old mans wee saw..that was left with meatn fat under cover..he got me to sharpen it,first off I had to remove all the mechanical rice

Yum...

I haven't posted for a while re an update from my last post (page 4) where I was looking at getting a 572.

Not long after that post I sold my 288 and bought a 572 which I've had for the past 14 months.

It was certainly a great step up from the 288 in terms of lighter, easier to start, it had plenty of power and extremely economical on fuel but its newer technology.

Since buying the 572 I had an itch for an even bigger saw so two months ago I bought a 592 which is not a disappointment... its a beast!

It chews through the logs!

7mmsaum, TeRei, 308 and 3 others like this.

Nice looking setup! I had the 572 as well, but sold it so I could afford the 592. I agree its a beast. Sounds good too!
    Seventenths likes this.

Like a few others who have mentioned above I’ve also been interested in square filing, Lenny of info on the web and YouTube with a good video here for those who have a grinding machine.

https://youtu.be/vhwMzna3n5c

As it was a bit of a wet day I followed the instructions on the video and modified a slightly worn chain.

I’m happy with the results but need to get out and test it.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Like a few others who have mentioned above I’ve also been interested in square filing, Lenny of info on the web and YouTube with a good video here for those who have a grinding machine.

https://youtu.be/vhwMzna3n5c

As it was a bit of a wet day I followed the instructions on the video and modified a slightly worn chain.

I’m happy with the results but need to get out and test it.

Happy to chat chain angles via pm

Name:  B9E8319B-9006-4A1C-8E6A-E013115F4B78.jpeg
Views: 175
Size:  2.78 MB
    Seventenths and Micky Duck like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Dirty old 660 up an Elm tree.

Short bar and heaps of grunt is nice when you are topping out. This tree had a bit of tension in the top and I didnt want to go higher because of a crack in the stem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    erniec likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

heaps of grunt is understatement of the month!!!!!!!!

@7mmsaum I’ve got a similar setup to yours.

At the moment I’m low on chain and need another roll, I’ve predominantly used Oregon but I’m keen to hear everyone’s thoughts on the various chainsaw chain available on the market Carlton, longer, E&S or even the chain from Topmaq
    7mmsaum and Micky Duck like this.

I've only used Stihl, Oregon and Maya (tungsten tipped) as well as whatever generic you get from the big hardware outlets that fits the little domestic home user saws. Can't really comment on anything else but the Maya has been fine once the tungstens were tickled up. I haven't had any issue with link stretch yet like some have had. I did break a Stihl chain at one stage, one side link failed and the thing kinked. Not quite sure what caused that, didn't catch it on anything or jam it - half worn chain...