Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree769Likes

Thread: show us your chainsaws

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    "A pile of 024's..." Yeah, ok - times like this I realise that maybe I don't have a problem after all haha. I swing between my usual two saws and anything up to 6 or 7 of various types that I get as play saws to fix up. I def don't have a pile of anything saw related except maybe bars and chains!!!
    To be fair, I dug the 024 stuff out of my fathers shed. I always have the 046 and 881 with me, then add a husky 550 or shindaiwa 362 when required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

The 046/MS460 is a good size, I have a lot more respect for them after doing the rebuild on the squashed one I got. I like the design more than the 044/MS440 as it doesn't have the sleeve/collar on the clutch side that the seal runs on - this can give issues I hear and I had one come through that leaked between the collar and crank shaft. Not enough to damage anything but enough to make it not tuneable.

My usual 'big' saw is a MS361, which is for what I need pretty much perfectly sized. I don't need much over a 22" bar, that goes through just about everything I have on hand even if I have to go from both sides. I can see the attraction in the 046/881 combo though, makes a lot of sense. Better than trying to do everything with a MS660, lugging one of those around all day when you don't have to would get ordinary fairly quickly. The 046 is a lot more handy and that much easier to swing and a little cheaper to feed...
    308 and Micky Duck like this.

Would be my favourite size too as an all round saw. Done literally thousands of hours waste thinning on 044/440/441/462. Perfect power to weight ratio I reckon, and they’re reliable as. Will grab the 441 for firewood over my 660/661 these days, unless logs are big and need ripped. Found this freshly traded 440 at stihl shop a couple years back, absolutely mint, couldn’t leave it sitting there

Shearer, Micky Duck, No.3 and 1 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Had my two petrol saws out over the last couple of days doing some firewood. Shed is nearly full again.
    Name:  IMG_3761[1].JPG
Views: 250
Size:  4.01 MB
    7mmsaum, erniec and Micky Duck like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Yeah I have a similar split for me usual two saws except MS361 and MS260, with an 044 'slant fin/10mm pin/red lever' (whatever you want to call it) as the big one I have hanging around at the mo. The 361 was brand new German assembled when I got it, nice saw and only really just starting to work at full go now (taken a while to break in). The 260 is ex a yard contractor and used hard on everything including palm and punga, very hard on saws those palm fibres. Done a lot of work and a little chewed out around the clutch area on the crankcase, but cannot fault how it runs! Only thing I don't like on it is the non-adjustable oil pump driven directly off the crankshaft. I've got my eye out for a non-running 026 Pro or 260C with the adjustable pump kit in it... The 044 is the granddaddy of the bunch, rode hard put away wet looking saw but mint where it matters and runs like a beast. I was thinking about tidying it up, but it runs so well I'm really hesitant to touch it.

Bought this last week as a stand in while saw is being seen too. Done a few branches and a couple stays/stay holes.

Sounds like a kids toy but done the job so far. Its no Sthil but for $250 u get what u pay for….It’s gonna have to cos now have have to make a decision to repair or replace other saw…..

Shearer, 300CALMAN and Micky Duck like this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    Bought this last week as a stand in while saw is being seen too. Done a few branches and a couple stays/stay holes.

Sounds like a kids toy but done the job so far. Its no Sthil but for $250 u get what u pay for….It’s gonna have to cos now have have to make a decision to repair or replace other saw…..

What’s wrong with your saw and what does it need

Some forum guys have sheds full of bits that might be of use to you
    Micky Duck likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    What’s wrong with your saw and what does it need

Some forum guys have sheds full of bits that might be of use to you
    Yes. What saw is it?

bluebaiter222 likes this.

If there's any doubt about it get a new saw you can trust and then you have the choice to either repair the old saw and keep it as a backup, repair and sell at best (might not be viable economically) or selling it for someone else to repair and recover the $$$ that you can out of it... That sounds a bit defeatist in the world of fixing saws being manly etc etc but if it isn't your core business or a hobby thing you do for fun it's probably not worth getting the kit you need to do it.

On a side note, I just got given a lightly used Homelite 46cc saw which is to be used as a donated asset for a volunteer unit - interesting thing as far as chainsaws go. It's no Stihl or Husqy pro saw and arguably not as robust as something like a 236 or MS180 but once I sharpened the chain properly so it actually cut it operates fine. Dare I say it, it's easier to start than the Husqy and Stihl's I've had too. Lighter and the vibration system seems to work rather well. That kinda pisses me off for some reason haha... Only thing I need to look into on it is that it appears to have an oil leak from underneath - probably a leak from the oil pump gasket or oil tank vent or somesuch. A job for tomorrow. Also need to work out the chainsaw quals angle on it modern arse covering.

Question for you guys out there.
    I have a Husqvarna 562XP.
    Good saw but I have an issue, it idles ok in the time it takes to position for next ring etc and you are still holding it.
    But will not idle for long when you have to move a bit of stuff and place it on the ground.
    No problem on big stuff giving it death and cut until you stop it or you run out off fuel.
    Any suggestions/tricks to get it to idle for longer/better.
    Thanks Owen

Try changing your fuel mix a LITTLE maybe try some higher octane stuff or if are using it try 91. It makes a huge difference in smaller motors.outboards lawnmower too.i found would start easier on 91 but better top end/Boogie with higher octane really noticed it in outboard.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Caretaker
    Lift idle rpm screw slightly but not enough to engage clutch

So a question for you saw guys I have a Stihl 460 running a 24"and semi chisel chain.
    So when cutting it bogs down and stops like the clutch engauges.
    If you know what I mean so have to back out to get chain to spin again then back into it.
    So is the clutch getting worn or something else.
    Seems worse on a sharp chain as it bites in more.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Try changing your fuel mix a LITTLE maybe try some higher octane stuff or if are using it try 91. It makes a huge difference in smaller motors.outboards lawnmower too.i found would start easier on 91 but better top end/Boogie with higher octane really noticed it in outboard.

The 562XP are auto tune

Name:  68D494BE-9F56-4A30-B5F7-7748A376F18E.jpeg
Views: 129
Size:  633.4 KB

Couple of days ago, didn't realise I'd been snapped, still the noise is a bit of a give away. Most will be firewood but I cut a few 2 inch rings that I hope to make occasional tables from. 084 41 inch bar
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nathan F, Tentman, Shearer and 1 others like this.