Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Quilts - Whose Using One Instead of a Sleeping Bag?

Quilts - Whose Using One Instead of a Sleeping Bag?

My sleep system is in need of replacement. My sleeping bag and pad have been with me many seasons and received numerous repairs through fair wear and tear but they are practically Frankenstein's —just waiting for a thunderstorm to come to life.

I'm considering a quilt over a sleeping bag, and gone down a rabbit hole - AGAIN!

So, whose using a quilt?
    What environment are you using it?
    What are your thoughts on it?
    What make / model are you using?
    Where did you get it?

I'm a side or stomach sleeper, typically bush hunt the lower North Island year round, and backpack hunt, I don't tend to use huts.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure how relevant this is as I'm more of a tramper than hunter so spend my night in the comfort of huts.
    I run hot so during the summer I use a single fitted sheet rather than a sleeping bag, It makes for a compact pack and when I'm sleeping the elastic pulls it closed over me. I think a quilt would be more comfortable but bulky and more prone to absorbing moisture.

Hey Mate

I have a quilt that i use most of the time tenting and run a bag in huts. (Quilt and hut is a cold sleep without the xthurm)

Mine is from enlightened equipment in the usa, I am a side / stomach sleeper and find I get too twisted in a bag.

In winter i use a summer bag with the quilt over top and so far found that too hot for North Island winter hunting and the quilt gets thrown off during the night. would think its a great combo in south island tho and together they pack smaller then my Macpac caccoon winter bag is is war warmer.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Hey mate I run the same as shane got a enlightened equipment one, I hate sleeping bags, the quilts way better for me, packs down a lot a smaller and is ridiculously light its less than 300 grams
    I can't see myself using any of my bags again
    Cheers

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Cheers for the responses guys. I end up twisted up like a bra in the dryer in my sleeping bag.

I've potentially got an opportunity to get some gear back from the USA with a colleague in a couple of weeks.

I have an enlightened equipment quilt too. It’s great, small, light and warm. You need a good quality high R value sleeping pad if you use a quilt though.

Name:  324D406A-DD2A-40BD-A27B-E2684FDF8CA9.jpeg
Views: 255
Size:  79.2 KB
    Micky Duck and steadwah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by steadwah View Post
    Cheers for the responses guys. I end up twisted up like a bra in the dryer in my sleeping bag.

I've potentially got an opportunity to get some gear back from the USA with a colleague in a couple of weeks.
    I know what you mean I use my bag opened like a quilt but I add my thermal blanket would not go without it light and rolls up real small warm as
    steadwah likes this.

What does this weigh in at? I've lost faith in manufacturer stated numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Basher View Post
    What does this weigh in at? I've lost faith in manufacturer stated numbers.

Ive got a Hammock Gear quilt that Ive done hundreds of nights in, weighs about 400gm and was very warm when new, a bit sad now 7 or 8 years on. Very compact compared to a bag. I've kind of gone back to bags for colder weather because the open nature of a quilt means that if you're a restless sleeper you end up partially uncovered a lot.
    Micky Duck and joelhenton like this.

I have 4 from Enlightened Equipment including a zero degree one for summer and sub for winter. I use the Revelation - zip up foot box, and only use the straps in winter.

You need a quality sleeping pad with appropriate R value for the system to work well. If you are a side sleeper and don't like being bundled up in a sleeping bag they are excellent. Quilts allow you to regulate heat easily. At 650g they are super light.

I just returned from a sub zero trip ti Kaimanawa tops. I'd just washed and treated (waterproofed) my winter quilt using Nikwax products. The quilt kept warm and dry despite condensation on the tipi tent walls over 36 hours inside
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Ive got a Hammock Gear quilt that Ive done hundreds of nights in, weighs about 400gm and was very warm when new, a bit sad now 7 or 8 years on. Very compact compared to a bag. I've kind of gone back to bags for colder weather because the open nature of a quilt means that if you're a restless sleeper you end up partially uncovered a lot.
    I wonder if the old chuck it in the cloths dryer with heap of tennis balls and set it going to beat it up and redistribute the down trick will rejuvenate it???????certainly works for down bags....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I have an Alton (Aussie brand) -5 quilt from the Gearshop...yet to use it but expecting good results on 4WD camping trips where I will be using a monsta mat plus stretcher (its an age thing you understand..lol)
    Will be interesting to compare with my Domex Ultralite which can be restricting, hence the quilt.
    If I could get Zenbivvy out of the US without paying exhorbitant FedEx charges, I would have gone for one of their quilt/sheet combos. Amazed that there is noone that I know of retailing them here....

There is also these guys. https://www.kiwiultralight.co.nz/

Never used their gear though.