Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Advice on binoculars

Advice on binoculars

I am pretty new to hunting and just in the process of acquiring gear. I am looking to buy a pair of Binoculars - 10x42. I am not in the Swarvoski/Leica category but had planned on spending $1000ish. Ive had a look at Vortex, Leupold, Burris and Ziess. Be keen to hear people's opinions.

Welcome to the forum.
    Micky Duck and Eastern Wander like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Welcome aboard. I have a pair of Minox 10x42s good value no problem 10+yrs

I have some Swaro but also a pair of Burris Droptine as back ups and spare for the kids and partner...they are actually very good.

Hamish

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I have a pair of compact Weavers not sure if available now but If you came onto a second hand pair they are good value rubber coated and the optics are pretty good

I sure cant complain about or fault my bushnells.... 10x40ish?? will fit in top pocket of polarfleece jacket while still on neck strap,will easily find deer out to over KM away yet I can still use them right back into 5mtrs (why 5mtrs?? to look at object thats there but cant quiet figure it out,very handy in landsar type situation)buy what your happy to pay for..waterproof is a MUST HAVE for me having drowned a good pair early on.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    I have some Swaro but also a pair of Burris Droptine as back ups and spare for the kids and partner...they are actually very good.

Hamish

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    I agree the Burris really are quite good for an entry level binocular.

Buy a second hand pair of a good brand: Leica, Kahles, etc. You will not suffer the crippling depreciation on new binos.
    Brian and BushChook like this.

Jus
    Can’t go wrong with leupold. I have 12 x50s, around 750 I paid. Don’t go with a higher magnification than that 12, 12X are as high as one can comfortably go without having to use a tripod. 10x42s will do you, the leupold bx Mackenzie range are perfect for a starter outer, even a die hard broken in hunter won’t go wrong with them
    7mmwsm and Micky Duck like this.

Also take a look at 8x42s, you don’t have to have 10x. Some swear by 8x42s you get better fov. Definitely shop around & try as many brands as you can. Find what suits your eyes & then wait for a good 2nd hand deal.
    Savage1, Slug, BRADS and 1 others like this.

Welcome to the forum, as your living in the south you’ll definately want 10x binoculars as critters are easier to pick up than using 8x binoculars as a mate and I experienced just this scenario with me using my Kahles 10x42 and him using his Leica 8x32

After spotting animals he still couldn’t see them so we’d swap which allowed me to see what he was seeing, there was no doubt the 10x on that trip had the edge, he since bought a pair of 10x42 sig zulus, I wouldn’t hesitate buying a pair of them if anything happened to my Kahles!

Another good pair I’ve used is Steiner Predator.

If your hunting thar, chamois or spending a lot of time hunting in the alps you’ll spend ALOT of time sitting and glassing so a good pair of binoculars is crucial
    Brian likes this.

Walking my rifle
    When i got to NZ about 10 years ago and started hunting i got myself a 10x40 Vortex Diamondback, and now 10 years later after hard use all over NZ and abuse by my 4 year old throwing it when we are out its still going strong, even in in SI watching Tahr over 1000m away i was happy enough. only time i found it lacking is if i want to look at something in the bush its a bit much magnification, but then i just use my rangefinder that's 7x.

I haven't felt the need to replace it, i hunt Bush, tops and farmland,

But in saying that i havent compared it side by side to other binos since i bought it lol
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Don’t discount second hand.
    The only caveat to that in my opinion would be LRF/ballistic binoculars, personally I wouldn’t because of the electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by sinbin View Post
    I am pretty new to hunting and just in the process of acquiring gear. I am looking to buy a pair of Binoculars - 10x42. I am not in the Swarvoski/Leica category but had planned on spending $1000ish. Ive had a look at Vortex, Leupold, Burris and Ziess. Be keen to hear people's opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Buy a second hand pair of a good brand: Leica, Kahles, etc. You will not suffer the crippling depreciation on new binos.
    Squeeze your money up to $1500 and get second hand Swaro, Leica or Kahles 10 x 42.
    Steelo likes this.

Is there any for sale ?