Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By janleroux

Thread: Rabbit jerky biltong for trapping

Rabbit jerky biltong for trapping

Hi,

I bait my stoat traps with fresh rabbit but in warm/hot weather it goes off too quickly .

Does anyone have method for making dried rabbit meat? Wifey suggested it would involve salting it slightly than drying in a low temperature oven??? What about vinegar and honey?

Or what about using strips of pork rind or chicken as an alternative to rabbit. Whatever is used must be able to go on a spike in the trigger plate

I prefer to make it myself rather than use the Erayz product.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdhu View Post
    Hi,

I bait my stoat traps with fresh rabbit but in warm/hot weather it goes off too quickly .

Does anyone have method for making dried rabbit meat? Wifey suggested it would involve salting it slightly than drying in a low temperature oven??? What about vinegar and honey?

Or what about using strips of pork rind or chicken as an alternative to rabbit. Whatever is used must be able to go on a spike in the trigger plate

Use salt (and spices if you make biltong to eat) and a 50/50 vinegar/water mix. After you cut the meat in strips, use a large enough zip-lock back and pack the meat in layers. With each layer you salt it, and pour a bit of water/vinegar on each layer. Leave it in the fridge over night and turn the bag a few times to make sure the vinegar gets on all the meat. The meat will become a greyish colour.

On 3kg or meat I normally use about 200ml water and 200ml vinegar. Malt vinegar in my experience works best when making biltong for human consumption.

After 24 hours, drain and hang it in a place where there is a bit of air moving over it. (Can even put a fan on them). Beef strips cut to 1/1.5 cm thickens will be dry after 3-4 days depending on the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bol Tackshin likes this.
    What you see, is what you get!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdhu View Post
    Hi,

I do have a long background in stoat trapping and they are fussy - we mainly stuck with a fresh egg and twin trap set up and changed the egg regularly - fresh rabbit is good and despite your summer problem I would stay with it - I wish you luck with dried rabbit we never tried it - it may well work give it a go - we tried two day old chicks from the poultry Industry and that was a failure - possibly did not have a strong scent ??- feral pigeon is a possibility-

Local predator trapping group in sounds use dried rabbit legs and meat in some of the kill traps. Appears to be real good for catching Weka, fuck all else!

I quite like mutton fat, its doesnt "dry out" like rabbit chicken or any other unprocessed [fresh] meat. I am a great believer in Cam Speedys 1/3 in the trap 1/3 in and 1/3 around the trap. Mutton fat is great rubbed on trees.

The other bait that I am mucking around with is Kewpie mayonnaise [no other bait just mayo] , I have been using it in an SA2 trap with good results as has a mate of mine that put me onto it ? Dont know if you can get Kewpie mayo in the UK but it is manufactured in Japan exported here so may be available where you are ?

https://deadrat.co.nz/shop-%26-order...ed-for-possums

This is a great trap.

use mutt butter bog treats, for extended lifespan a few drops of olive oil to stop drying out

Stoats are not stupid. My dogs clobbered one on the Taruarau river once trout fishing. Main dog dropped it on shingle. I thought it was dead. Turned around and it was gone. Bloke I know used to trap on a large station at Moawhanga. Always said fresh is best.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Stoats are not stupid. My dogs clobbered one on the Taruarau river once trout fishing. Main dog dropped it on shingle. I thought it was dead. Turned around and it was gone. Bloke I know used to trap on a large station at Moawhanga. Always said fresh is best.
    I have no doubt that fresh rabbit would be the best bait out there but in summer it either gets flyblown in 24hrs or starts drying out and looks exceedingly unattractive. If you are able to check your traps everyday fresh rabbit would be my go to bait but everyday...

Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    I quite like mutton fat, its doesnt "dry out" like rabbit chicken or any other unprocessed [fresh] meat. I am a great believer in Cam Speedys 1/3 in the trap 1/3 in and 1/3 around the trap. Mutton fat is great rubbed on trees.

The other bait that I am mucking around with is Kewpie mayonnaise [no other bait just mayo] , I have been using it in an SA2 trap with good results as has a mate of mine that put me onto it ? Dont know if you can get Kewpie mayo in the UK but it is manufactured in Japan exported here so may be available where you are ?

https://deadrat.co.nz/shop-%26-order...ed-for-possums

This is a great trap.
    Yes, we get it here on Ebay.
    Thanks for the tip!