Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Raincoats. What is the best....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    I hear you @kotuku, but I think you are confusing the shooting discipline I will be indulging in....

Cheers
    Phil
    maaate if it keeps ya warm and brings a smile to ya dial even when its colder than a bull tahrs nutsack swell nuf said!!

Is that the new model or the older one I had the older one & that lecked every where so took it back & I got my $ back I wasn't game to try another one lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    If you don't "need" camo then I'd be looking at jackets made for mountaineering etc, especially the heavier duty versions (which are still light compared to most hunting jackets). Good, Lightweight mountaineering gear is designed to bring maximum performance for minimum weight. My main jacket is an Arcteryx Alpha SV. It's expensive but miles ahead of hunting jackets for function and protection (imo). I was at a shoot on the West Coast last November, pissed down all day and I was dry all day. Mates with their cool looking camo jackets had wetted out by midday and were soaked through completely and cold.

I was pretty tempted by a Jottnar jacket, but got my Arcteryx in a 50% off end of season sale

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    +1

The seams are very well done. If you look at the seam tape inside most jackets, it often sits slightly proud of the fabric, and it doesn't take much to get your fingernails underneath it. After a few months of heavy use, the seam tape will often start peeling away at the edges.

On the Arcteryx jackets, the seams are completely flush with the fabric - as if they're part of the fabric itself.

That said, Arc' clothing is getting ridiculously overpriced. You're better off buying new garments from Ebay, than retail stores. Their hardshells are also quite 'crinkly' and not the best for stalking in. But you're usually shooting at longer ranges in the kind of country you'd use that sort of clothing in.

On a budget, I reckon the Line 7 jackets for sale at the likes of PGG or Farmlands are great. I got 2 years of use out of one - both in the bush and the farm. Not bad for $250-ish. They're a bit bulky though and don't dry as quickly as the lighter weight mountaineering hardshells.

For any one out there that has a short rain coat that wants to keep dry shorts I just cut off a set of leggings & made them in to shorts they where an old pear I wished I'd done it yeas ago they so good get some where & the grounds wet & you want sit done grab out the old 1/2 leggings put on couse they easily go over boots sit down dry bum haha yaa I also started using them a lot at work to & bloody great on the bike when you got the dogs on the back at this time year when they got wet mud paws & they insist on shearing that with you on the seat
    Basenjiboy likes this.

I have a Kuiu Yukon jacket in XL if op is interested. $ couple of hundred off new price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

So it appears the Thar XP has done its dash. It was brought at the end of 2014. So not a bad run. To be fair hasnt done a whole lot of work tho. Looking to give a Cactus or Earth Sea Sky jacket a go. Any body here had experience with both of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser270 View Post
    So it appears the Thar XP has done its dash. It was brought at the end of 2014. So not a bad run. To be fair hasnt done a whole lot of work tho. Looking to give a Cactus or Earth Sea Sky jacket a go. Any body here had experience with both of these?
    Ive got a Earth Sea Sky Hydrophobia and its a good jacket, use it a bit on the farm if I know im not gonna be getting real dirty, otherwise use my Kaiwaka "farm jacket". Also have a couple of Swazi Tahr which I love and use heaps, I like the Tahr as if provides a certain amount of warmth and comfort compared to hardshell jackets, keep the dwr treatments up and they are a great bit of kit. Have a Swazi Torrent which is nice too, similar to the Hydrophobia in construction etc but slightly lighter weight fabric, havent used it bugger all so need some time to form a real opinion on it
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser270 View Post

The sizing of the hydrophobia jackets is quite large an normally the size below your usual is the one to get.

I just got given a Stag PU Parker and Pants from these guys, https://www.betacraft.co.nz

Seems the parker is sold out now, but I'll say that on initial impressions, it's not bad gear, lined and with a good zip and elastic wrist enclosures inside the cuffs, so I'm happy.

Name:  stag.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  9.9 KB

I’ve been using my Hunters Element Odyssey jacket for a while now and am very happy with it. I have also just purchased the Hunters Element Halo as a lightweight packable option which I am happy with so far too.
    Nick-D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    I’ve been using my Hunters Element Odyssey jacket for a while now and am very happy with it. I have also just purchased the Hunters Element Halo as a lightweight packable option which I am happy with so far too.
    How's the stitching etc look?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    I just got given a Stag PU Parker and Pants from these guys, https://www.betacraft.co.nz

Seems the parker is sold out now, but I'll say that on initial impressions, it's not bad gear, lined and with a good zip and elastic wrist enclosures inside the cuffs, so I'm happy.

Attachment 147532
    The Betacraft ISO940 coat is excellent and often on special. Decent length, breathable and no frills. I have a bit of their gear and really rate it even if some of its made in China. They are a good solid Pahiatua based company. Farmlands stock it.

I wear this short sleeve jobby on almost every hunt during the cold months. https://www.betacraft.co.nz/product/mamaku-anorak/

Name:  IMG_3203.jpeg
Views: 587
Size:  386.7 KB
    Last edited by Tahr; 15-08-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    How's the stitching etc look?
    Good as gold so far. No stitching or peeling issues on the interior that I can report. Has been my go to during Winter hunts especially. Very happy with how it fits, easy to use and feel comfortable in when on the move etc
    Tahr and Nick-D like this.