Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Raincoats. What is the best....

Raincoats. What is the best....

Hey guys.

I'm in the market for a new raincoat. Ive been a loyal Swazi supporter for the last while. I had a goretex Wapiti Coat that lasted me 15 years. And now a Tahr xp Aegis coat for the last 6 years. Deciding whether I buy another Swazi (Tahr or rifleman) or try something else.

Like the idea of the length of the tahr for Bush stalking in shorts. But willing to look at other styles.

Needs to be suitable for duckshooting, deerstalking etc. I have other coats for fly fishing and work. Doesn't have to be camo.

Not worried on cost if the coat fits the bill and lasts well. And most importantly keeps me dry! Doesn't have to be ultralite. Would rather durability..... as careful as Iam, always come into contact with sharp objects (gorse, supply jack etc) while out and about.

Go

Cole
    I have a Stoney Creek Pioneer jacket and it’s awesome, hard wearing and fully waterproof. Just not super quiet for bush stalking.
    Worth having a look at anyway.

I had my first swazi for ten plus years and brought the new tahr 15months ago, while it hasn't done any major work i personally will be looking at more of a light weight jacket next time i buy a replacement.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I'm currently looking for the same thing. Tried on a stoney creek stowit but think it's a bit too short and also didn't like the half zip. Noisy as a warehouse tarp flapping in the wind as well. Tried a Macpac Copland also which was a lot more what I'm looking for I think. Following suggestions.

Have you looked at the Cactus jacket? I've got the mountain jacket, it's a shorter version so doesn't cover your shorts.

The Rain Jacket is a longer version they make now:
    https://cactusoutdoor.co.nz/collecti...31581131276354
    BRADS likes this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

@Mauser270 - I think you've been on the right track for the last 21 years. I've tried a few other manufacturers products over the years, and keep coming back to Swazi.
    Even the likes of Cactus which make awesome products, do not 100% understand what a hunter needs in a jacket. Swazi appears to be a company creating (top end) jackets for hunters, and every other demographic is an afterthought.
    JoshC and Micky Duck like this.

If you are going to be in pushing through scrub you will probably end up with holes in it.
    These days my raincoat only gets worn when I really need it.
    Those outback oilskin jackets are durable, warm and hard-wearing. Just bloody heavy too.

And thats one thing about swazi they are a bit heavy then others but you can push through scrub to a point . The stoney creek stowit jacket is like wearing a plastic bag and same with the dream bull pants. They are water proof but i couldn't hunt in them.
    Mate has had a good run out of his stoney creek glaisnock jacket. What ends up stuffing his is when he wears them to work on the farm.

Has anyone tried the new Huntech range of coats ?
    They seem to be really waterproof.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Macpac Copland is good- you have to pay for quality.

Thanks guys. I'll send my current Tahr back to swazi for a birthday. See what they say. That's the other feature I really like about Swazi tech gear. Being made here in NZ they have all the gear to test and repair in house. I think last time I ripped one of my Swazi work raincoats it only cost me $40 to repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    Macpac Copland is good- you have to pay for quality.
    My wife just sent her Copeland back to Macpac to get the seam sealing repaired. It had come apart in places after 6 years of occasional use. They have said they can't repair if completely as the seam seal wouldn't stick in places and have charged he $40 for what they have done. We haven't collected it yet to see the result. My Resolution has been good and is older. I think their stuff is on sale at the moment.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    MacPac is Kathmandu re-branded these days. Their gear is a bit of a mixed bag.
    Yeah. My Resolution is a Gortex one (not Reflex) and it's lasted well. My hunting rain coat is now a UK military one. Bloody good for $100.
    bumblefoot and Moa Hunter like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Interesting no one has mentioned the likes of Sitka or Kuiu. Which were the other brands I have been lookin at....

I have a Kuiu Chugach. Really lightweight and breathable. I like it . Quite a short cut compared to Kiwi styles though. The yanks design their rainwear to go with leggings.